FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Motorola RAZR I Announced & Discussion Thread!

5,793 posts
Thanks Meter: 4,809

By android88, Senior Member on 18th September 2012, 06:35 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
27th September 2012, 08:58 PM |#21  
Thanks Meter: 350

More
jonmorris or anybody else with a Razr i:

Could you tell us how well the wifi and GPS on the device work? Maybe using apps like wifi analyser and GPS Status, compare the Razr i to a phone with a known reliable SoC like a Snapdragon S3 or S4.

Given how new and untested the Intel Medfield SoC is, I'd like to hear some info on how well the various components of it work (i.e., wifi, GPS, etc.) -- not just the speed of the processor.

Thanks.

27th September 2012, 09:12 PM |#22  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 4,809

More
I have a T-Mobile Galaxy S2. It has the Snapdragon S3 8060 CPU which is the newest S3 CPU. I can test it out.

Edit: Here are screenies

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using xda premium
27th September 2012, 10:10 PM |#23  
Flag Hatfield, UK
Thanks Meter: 466

Donate to Me
More
I have found the GPS fixing is a little slower than a Qualcomm S3 device (but not much). There's no Glonass support that I can see.

The phone does have dual band WiFi and I get excellent reception at home. I will do a comparison later though, although my Xperia S only does 2.4GHz (I should have an Xperia T soon that has both).

I'll try and check some other devices too. Just bear in mind, the RAZR i isn't claiming to be the fastest device on sale. It's about the whole package, which I think it gets just right.

Low light photos are also quite grainy, but have less colour noise than my Xperia S. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

Edit: back home now, and on the way - I tried out the GPS and it got a fix on 3 seconds! This was on a train, which - as you can see - was doing 95mph! So, actually I take back what I said - it seems to work exceptionally well and perhaps I was just unlucky before.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-09-27 22.19.07.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	1359796

Name:	2012-09-27 22.18.55.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	1359797

I'll do a Wi-Fi comparison another time, as I need to boot up a number of phones. However, I'm getting around -60dBm to -50dBm from where I am sitting using Wi-Fi Analyzer, and my iMac which is connected to the same router in the bedroom (about 10 metres away, but through two walls which is a bathroom) has 46% on the 'Network Strength' app - not sure what that translates to, but it's presumably around -70dBM or worse . Both are connected using 5GHz. As you might expect, it's slightly higher with 2.4GHz - but slower on the network.

When I put the phone flat on the desk, it drops to -65dBm but is still good enough.

Meanwhile, here's a screen grab of the Wi-Fi service on the London Underground. Check the UPLOAD speed!

Name:	2012-09-27 20.59.50.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	1359804
28th September 2012, 12:40 AM |#24  
Recognized Developer
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 2,487

Donate to Me
More
Glad to see Wifi signal is better! It seems you forgot to check your PM's again so I made you a Mac version

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15093625/MacPuller.zip
28th September 2012, 02:46 AM |#25  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmorris

I have found the GPS fixing is a little slower than a Qualcomm S3 device (but not much). There's no Glonass support that I can see.

The phone does have dual band WiFi and I get excellent reception at home. I will do a comparison later though, although my Xperia S only does 2.4GHz (I should have an Xperia T soon that has both).

I'll try and check some other devices too. Just bear in mind, the RAZR i isn't claiming to be the fastest device on sale. It's about the whole package, which I think it gets just right.

Low light photos are also quite grainy, but have less colour noise than my Xperia S. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

Edit: back home now, and on the way - I tried out the GPS and it got a fix on 3 seconds! This was on a train, which - as you can see - was doing 95mph! So, actually I take back what I said - it seems to work exceptionally well and perhaps I was just unlucky before.

Attachment 1359796

Attachment 1359797

I'll do a Wi-Fi comparison another time, as I need to boot up a number of phones. However, I'm getting around -60dBm to -50dBm from where I am sitting using Wi-Fi Analyzer, and my iMac which is connected to the same router in the bedroom (about 10 metres away, but through two walls which is a bathroom) has 46% on the 'Network Strength' app - not sure what that translates to, but it's presumably around -70dBM or worse . Both are connected using 5GHz. As you might expect, it's slightly higher with 2.4GHz - but slower on the network.

When I put the phone flat on the desk, it drops to -65dBm but is still good enough.

Meanwhile, here's a screen grab of the Wi-Fi service on the London Underground. Check the UPLOAD speed!

Attachment 1359804

Jonmorris,

Are the gps screenshots of two different phones or are both the razr i? I'm particularly interested in comparison because although those look good by themselves, if a phone with a Qualcomm soc was seeing twice as many satellites, all of a sudden the Intel isn't looking so hot...

-Sent from my TMOUS HTC One S.-
-Stock/rooted 2.21 + 1.06s baseband-
-Hboot 1.06-

---------- Post added at 01:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 AM ----------

Also I notice in the first pic it says "Orange tmobile"in the left of the notification bar but it doesn't say that in any of the other pics. Is it possible to disable that banner? Or does it just randomly appear?

---------- Post added at 02:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 AM ----------

For that matter, I'd also love to know how the Intel soc does for hspa signal strength compared to other socs.
28th September 2012, 08:49 AM |#26  
Flag Hatfield, UK

Donate to Me
More
Same phone. Only one I had with me at the time!
The network always shows (in one photo, I had no signal as I'd just come out of a tunnel).

I will do some comparisons with other devices later, but as I said before I don't think it has GLONASS support so will see less satellites almost all the time!

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to jonmorris For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jonmorris Ad-Free
28th September 2012, 09:59 AM |#27  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hello,

can someone please confirm if the phone is equipped with a notification LED? As I read somewhere Razr M does have it.

Thanks a lot.
28th September 2012, 10:36 AM |#28  
Flag Hatfield, UK

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by adabra

Hello,

can someone please confirm if the phone is equipped with a notification LED? As I read somewhere Razr M does have it.

Thanks a lot.

Yes it does.. very top left.
28th September 2012, 11:37 AM |#29  
Flag Hatfield, UK

Donate to Me
More
Right, here are some GPS comparisons - along with Wi-Fi Analyser showing the signal on the same router (2.4GHz to make it fair, given not all of the devices are dual-band - just the Motorola's)

The devices are (as laid out in the third photo):

Motorola RAZR MAXX
Sony Xperia S
Motorola ATRIX (non-4G)
Sony Ericsson Xperia arc
Motorola RAZR i
Apple iPhone 5 (yeah, yeah, just to show off!)

Name:	RAZR-i-comparisons1.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	1360754

Name:	RAZR-i-comparisons2.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	1360755

Name:	RAZR-i-comparisons3.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	1360756

Name:	RAZR-i-comparisons4.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	1360757

Name:	RAZR-i-comparisons5.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	1360758

Regrettably, I can't find any GPS app for the iPhone that shows any detailed data. Maybe Apple doesn't allow it?!

Also, I am not sure what went wrong with the Xperia arc.. It seemed to lose loads of satellites while I was messing around, and this handset also supports GLONASS satellites so should have been far closer to the Xperia S.
The Following User Says Thank You to jonmorris For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jonmorris Ad-Free
28th September 2012, 11:58 AM |#30  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmorris

Right, here are some GPS comparisons - along with Wi-Fi Analyser showing the signal on the same router (2.4GHz to make it fair, given not all of the devices are dual-band - just the Motorola's)

The devices are (as laid out in the third photo):

Motorola RAZR MAXX
Sony Xperia S
Motorola ATRIX (non-4G)
Sony Ericsson Xperia arc
Motorola RAZR i
Apple iPhone 5 (yeah, yeah, just to show off!)

Attachment 1360754

Attachment 1360755

Attachment 1360756

Attachment 1360757

Attachment 1360758

Regrettably, I can't find any GPS app for the iPhone that shows any detailed data. Maybe Apple doesn't allow it?!

Also, I am not sure what went wrong with the Xperia arc.. It seemed to lose loads of satellites while I was messing around, and this handset also supports GLONASS satellites so should have been far closer to the Xperia S.

Amazing work. Thanks dude! Looks like your M has the strongest WiFi of all of them, and the gps seems to be on par with all but the Sony, which probably has glonass.

If you happen to have a chance, I'd love to see a comparison of hspa signal strength (in dBm - not just signal bars) too. Even if just with one or two other phones.

-Hboot 1.06-
28th September 2012, 12:02 PM |#31  
Flag Hatfield, UK

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by phositadc

Amazing work. Thanks dude! Looks like your M has the strongest WiFi of all of them, and the gps seems to be on par with all but the Sony, which probably has glonass.

If you happen to have a chance, I'd love to see a comparison of hspa signal strength (in dBm - not just signal bars) too. Even if just with one or two other phones.

-Hboot 1.06-

That will be quite time consuming as not all the phones have SIM cards. I'll see what I can do later on today or over the weekend, as for a fair test they need to be on the same network.

Motorola hasn't released detailed specs on the phone, but it appears to me that the Razr i doesn't support DC-HSPA+.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)