Remove All Ads from XDA

[A510][KERNEL][2012-11-18] ThrillsKernel V2 & V3

216 posts
Thanks Meter: 382

By NoThrills, Retired Recognized Developer on 18th September 2012, 08:35 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
ThrillsKernel for the Acer Iconia TAB A510
version 2012-11-18, built from source

Here it is, the first ever non-stock kernel for the Acer Iconia TAB A510, dubbed the "ThrillsKernel"!

What's in this kernel:
  • Comes in two flavors: V2 for ICS ROMs and V3 for JB ROMs
  • Removed 'Samsung EMMC brick' bug: This prevents your internal memory from becoming corrupted.
  • CPU Governors: Interactive, conservative, ondemand, powersave, userspace, performance, SmartassV2 and lulzactive.
  • I/O schedulers: Noop, deadline, CFQ, Simple I/O, V/R and BFQ.
  • Removed Acer mount security: Now you can mount system as r/w.
  • NTFS, CIFS, and MD4 support
  • Tegra3 optimizations
  • Various other performance tweaks

Installation:
  • Step 0:
    Check this thread to see if you can help the community before you let us help you!
  • Step 1:
    If you don't have it already, install my CWM-Based Recovery.
  • Step 2:
    Download the kernel from this post, extract the .RAR files and put the .ZIP file on your internal or external SD Card.
  • Step 3:
    Start Recovery by powering down your device, holding the Volume down (**) button and turning it on again.
  • Step 4:
    Make a Nandroid Backup. I can't stress this enough. Select backup and restore and choose one of the backup options.
  • Step 5:
    Install this ROM by choosing install zip from sdcard and then choose zip from sdcard or choose zip from external sdcard.
  • Step 6:
    Wait for the installation to finish (this takes a few minutes). Spend your time reading the text below these installation instructions!
  • Step 7:
    Select wipe dalvik cache from the advanced menu, thenreboot system now, and enjoy!

Please read the following carefully before installing this kernel:
  • I am not responsible for anything you do to your tablet. Whatever you do, you do it at your own risk!

Which version should I install?
ThrillsKernel2 is built on the 2.6.39 linux kernel and intended for A510 tablets with a ICS ROM installed. That's Android version 4.0.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.0.3 or 4.0.4.
ThrillsKernel3 is built on the 3.1.10 linux kernel and intended for A510 tablets with a JB ROM installed. That's Android version 4.1.0, 4.1.1 or 4.1.2. There is no support for 4.2+ yet.

FAQ:
  • Want to use ThrillsKernel in your own ROM? Go ahead, make my day.
  • Need ***** added to the kernel? Let me know, and I will try!
  • Want to remove the kernel from a NoThrills ROM? Although it's not recommended, it's possible. Check the instructions in the respective ROM thread.
  • Want to give me your first born baby? I'd rather not have that, but if you really want to give me something: Either click the 'Donate to me' button on the left, or simply hit the 'Thanks' button on this post.

Changelog:
The ThrillsKernel has the date as version number, e.g. version 20121118 is November 18th, 2012. You can check the status (or changelog, whatever you will) of the kernel by visiting the commit history of my github page:

Click here for updates to ThrillsKernel2
Click here for updates to ThrillsKernel3

Just check what the date of the ThrillsKernel is, and you can simply look at the dates of the commits to see if it's included in the kernel or not. Example: With the version from November 18th, any commit up untill that date is included in the kernel. With the 20120917 version, every commit up untill September 17th is included in the kernel.

Downloads:
The kernel is not released on its own yet, because I haven't been able to test it on many ROMs. If you want it, install any of my ROMs:ThrillsKernel is included with these ROMs as of 2012/09/17. Developers, feel free to extract the kernel and use it in your own ROMs.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to NoThrills For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift NoThrills Ad-Free

18th September 2012, 08:59 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 66

More
Great new!
The Following User Says Thank You to kiteman44 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift kiteman44 Ad-Free
18th September 2012, 09:43 PM |#3  
Flag Poznań
Thanks Meter: 260

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThrills

[CENTER][B][SIZE=6][*]Removed Acer mount security: Now you can mount system as r/w.

So it was Acer who was messing with remounting system RW?
Suggestion- maybe switching to TinyRCU is a good idea? It has a lower memory footprint and performs faster
19th September 2012, 08:32 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 890

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen_scheisskopf

So it was Acer who was messing with remounting system RW?

yep, great catch by nothrills, i should have seen this one
19th September 2012, 08:55 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 66

More
Is it possible to extend the minimum level brightness ?
When i read on night, it's too high.
maybe this can help http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1644345

or maybe by using an dedicated app but...
19th September 2012, 08:58 AM |#6  
OP Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 382

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteman44

It might be, never looked into it as I have used Screen Filter since forever
19th September 2012, 02:35 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 75

More
Quote:

I used to use rootdim on my thrive to get it so low I could use the tab as an alarm clock with the screen on and facing me all night.

But trying the same on this a510, the backlight just goes completely off if I try to set it any lower than default. So I wonder if it is a hardware limitation.

It would be nice though. This thing makes my eyes hurt in the morning on the bus to work.
19th September 2012, 03:36 PM |#8  
Flag Canada
Thanks Meter: 752

Donate to Me
More
Overclock possible please? Thanks.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
19th September 2012, 04:19 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:

I would absolutely love this feature. I dont like apps messing with my system...
23rd September 2012, 02:06 PM |#10  
Flag Perth
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thumbs up Working A510 CIFS at last!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThrills

ThrillsKernel for the Acer Iconia TAB A510 version 2012-09-17, built from source
[*]NTFS, CIFS, and MD4 support

The kernel is not released on its own yet, because I haven't been able to test it on many ROMs. If you want it, install any of my ROMs:

I'm currently quote happy with the stock ROM apart from the lack of CIFS so I took the modules from /system/lib/modules [NoThrills A510 WorldWide optimized Stock ROM] and copied them to my stock (but rooted) A510.

CIFS works perfectly!

Thanks!
24th September 2012, 11:03 PM |#11  
Flag Manila
Thanks Meter: 671

Donate to Me
More
I've tried Smartass v2 and Lulzactive and they seem to eat up more juice.
I then checked System Tuner Pro for my CPU times, and I noticed that my CPU would only go from inactive to 1.3 or 1.4GHz. It doesn't use the values in between.
I then switched to Interactive, and I can see the CPU clocks like 400+ and 600+ used again.

Not sure if it's just me though, but I'm putting it out there for everyone to test. Nevertheless, I love this kernel, I love the optimized A510 that you released as it fixed my screen responsiveness issue entirely. Take that Acer!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)