version 2012-11-18, built from source
Here it is, the first ever non-stock kernel for the Acer Iconia TAB A510, dubbed the "ThrillsKernel"!
What's in this kernel:
- Comes in two flavors: V2 for ICS ROMs and V3 for JB ROMs
- Removed 'Samsung EMMC brick' bug: This prevents your internal memory from becoming corrupted.
- CPU Governors: Interactive, conservative, ondemand, powersave, userspace, performance, SmartassV2 and lulzactive.
- I/O schedulers: Noop, deadline, CFQ, Simple I/O, V/R and BFQ.
- Removed Acer mount security: Now you can mount system as r/w.
- NTFS, CIFS, and MD4 support
- Tegra3 optimizations
- Various other performance tweaks
- Step 0:
Check this thread to see if you can help the community before you let us help you!
- Step 1:
If you don't have it already, install my CWM-Based Recovery.
- Step 2:
Download the kernel from this post, extract the .RAR files and put the .ZIP file on your internal or external SD Card.
- Step 3:
Start Recovery by powering down your device, holding the Volume down (**) button and turning it on again.
- Step 4:
Make a Nandroid Backup. I can't stress this enough. Select backup and restore and choose one of the backup options.
- Step 5:
Install this ROM by choosing install zip from sdcard and then choose zip from sdcard or choose zip from external sdcard.
- Step 6:
Wait for the installation to finish (this takes a few minutes). Spend your time reading the text below these installation instructions!
- Step 7:
Select wipe dalvik cache from the advanced menu, thenreboot system now, and enjoy!
Please read the following carefully before installing this kernel:
- I am not responsible for anything you do to your tablet. Whatever you do, you do it at your own risk!
Which version should I install?
ThrillsKernel2 is built on the 2.6.39 linux kernel and intended for A510 tablets with a ICS ROM installed. That's Android version 4.0.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.0.3 or 4.0.4.
ThrillsKernel3 is built on the 3.1.10 linux kernel and intended for A510 tablets with a JB ROM installed. That's Android version 4.1.0, 4.1.1 or 4.1.2. There is no support for 4.2+ yet.
- Want to use ThrillsKernel in your own ROM? Go ahead, make my day.
- Need ***** added to the kernel? Let me know, and I will try!
- Want to remove the kernel from a NoThrills ROM? Although it's not recommended, it's possible. Check the instructions in the respective ROM thread.
- Want to give me your first born baby? I'd rather not have that, but if you really want to give me something: Either click the 'Donate to me' button on the left, or simply hit the 'Thanks' button on this post.
The ThrillsKernel has the date as version number, e.g. version 20121118 is November 18th, 2012. You can check the status (or changelog, whatever you will) of the kernel by visiting the commit history of my github page:
Click here for updates to ThrillsKernel2
Click here for updates to ThrillsKernel3
Just check what the date of the ThrillsKernel is, and you can simply look at the dates of the commits to see if it's included in the kernel or not. Example: With the version from November 18th, any commit up untill that date is included in the kernel. With the 20120917 version, every commit up untill September 17th is included in the kernel.
The kernel is not released on its own yet, because I haven't been able to test it on many ROMs. If you want it, install any of my ROMs: