From now on it's possible to set 3D wallpapers on your homescreen!
SUPERUSER ACCESS NO LONGER REQUIRED!!!
The apk can be downloaded from Google Play:
(Android 4.0 and higher supported)
What does it do?
The stock wallpaper picker converts 3D images to 2D before setting them as wallpaper. With this app you can set 3D wallpapers (inspired by the Jmz EVO 3D/V 3D switcher from jmztaylor).
How does it work?
To automatically enable the 3D mode on the homescreen and disable it when opening any application, this app uses a Live Wallpaper as a container for your selected 3D backgrounds. So first you need to set the Live Wallpaper in able to see the 3D container.
How do I set up this 3D wallpaper?
1. Homescreen -> menu -> Live Wallpapers -> 3D Wallpaper -> Preview -> Settings -> Apply (first time use)
2. To set your own wallpaper, use settings in Live Wallpaper preview or Homescreen -> menu -> Wallpaper -> 3D wallpapers
What kind of images can be used?
Usually 3D images are stored as .jps or .mpo file.
When picking a background, make sure the image is Side-by-Side 3D and you select 'Use 3D'
A black wallpaper is shown with a red exception in the center. What is it?
It means there is no wallpaper selected yet. You can select different wallpapers for landscape and portrait (if your launcher supports it) by using Homescreen -> menu -> wallpaper -> 3D Wallpaper
Why do I have to set a live wallpaper?
The Live Wallpaper is a container for the selected 3D image you choose from the gallery. By using a Live Wallpaper container, the 3D mode can be enabled and disabled automatically.
The app doesn't work! The wallpaper is 2D and blurry
Your phone needs to be rooted (e.g. jailbreaked) and have SuperUser installed on it.
How can I root my phone to get this app up and running?
Follow this guide (at your own risk) http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1535987
Where can I find 3D wallpapers?
Install Phereo 3D Photo, which will allow you to view and store a lot of 3D images. Download can be found here. Also take a look at this post to download 3D wallpapers without the watermark.
Are there any known bugs?
1. If a 3D boot animation is installed, the last few seconds of the boot animation will be in 2D interlaced instead of 3D, as Android is already drawing the wallpaper. Because it's invisible, the script to disable 3D is called...
2. Sometimes the screen blacks out when switching from 3D to 2D view. Known fix; wait a few seconds to let it restore the backlight. (More info here)
3. After setting the Live Wallpaper for the first time, the screen might not switch to 3D. Turn off the screen or open any app and switch back to the homescreen. It should now be enabled.
Supported file formats
- JPG, PNG, etc. (use horizontal side-by-side)
v3.1 Ported 4.0+ application to Android 2.3 devices
v3.1 Added fullbright workaround by adding a semi-transparent black layer
v3.01 Added nullpointer check for selected files which are no longer available
v3.00 Implemented 3D center image
v2.91 Re-enabled jpg interlacing for people who want to trip on 2D images
v2.9: Memory usage improvements, improved 3D scaling (all image dimensions now allowed)
v2.8: Failed attempt to enable 3D mode for aosp roms. Seems you need the htc libs anyway. Added su method back in when htc api fails to set 3D mode
v2.7: Root access / super user no longer needed
v2.6: Implemented landscape wallpapers, improved progress dialog
v2.5: Total rewrite of the mpo decoding
v2.4: Fixed missing wallpaper after boot problem.
v2.3: Added automatically 3D enable/disable via Live Wallpaper container. Please select the 3D Live Wallpaper first before picking the 3D background.
v2.2: Never officially released
v2.1: Improved exception handling
v2.0: First release
v1.0: Never officially released
jmztaylor, the 3D switch patch can be found on the Play Store.
Chillisaus for the help on the mpo decoding.