FORUMS

[MOD] Add init.d support to ANY ROM/Kernel !

1,672 posts
Thanks Meter: 2,200

By jamesst20, Senior Member on 30th September 2012, 04:31 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,

I figured out how to get the init.d support on the Google Nexus 7 with some research. It works on ANY Kernel and ANY ROM (Including Stock ROM/Kernel !)

All you got to do, is to flash the zip from Recovery

How do I know if it worked ?
- If in /data/local/tmp/ there is a file 'init.d_log_test.txt' and inside is written the date, it worked.

Download Here
The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to jamesst20 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jamesst20 Ad-Free
30th September 2012, 10:12 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
What does init.d do?
The Following User Says Thank You to Pariah3000 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Pariah3000 Ad-Free
30th September 2012, 10:20 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah3000

What does init.d do?

Allow you to adds script into /system/etc/init.d and those will run at device boot. It is useful for performance tweaks and stuff like it
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jamesst20 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jamesst20 Ad-Free
30th September 2012, 10:46 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
OK. Flashed it an it installed. Super simple MOD and it works. Now what?

I found CPU Editor: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1584508 Looks interesting,

Anyone have suggestions of other hacks that take advantage of init.d?
30th September 2012, 04:20 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pariah3000

OK. Flashed it an it installed. Super simple MOD and it works. Now what?

I found CPU Editor: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1584508 Looks interesting,

Anyone have suggestions of other hacks that take advantage of init.d?

A script that zipalign on boot would be useful
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jamesst20 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jamesst20 Ad-Free
4th October 2012, 04:56 AM |#6  
Flag homeland
Thanks Meter: 10

More
thank you so much!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app
The Following User Says Thank You to ozzy666 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ozzy666 Ad-Free
5th October 2012, 03:59 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy666

thank you so much!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

No problem

EnvoyƩ depuis mon Nexus 7 avec Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesst20 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jamesst20 Ad-Free
7th October 2012, 01:10 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 565

More
Hi, I flashed this on my stock (rooted and CWM) rom and then tried Jay's Buttery Goodness thing http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...855100&page=29 leaving out flashing Moteley's 1.0.5b kernel with ramdisk as I thought I should already have init.d support so it should work without doing that - but it didn't. I had to flash the 1.0.5 kernel for it to work?
8th October 2012, 02:04 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
You can flash this on any kernel and it should work

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to jamesst20 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jamesst20 Ad-Free
8th October 2012, 04:54 AM |#10  
Flag Detroit
Thanks Meter: 618

More
The kernel needs init.d support, which I believe most ''aftermarket" ones do, if not all. Only ones that dont are usually the 100% stock ones.
You need to decompile the kernel, and edit a couple scripts to get it to work if it doesn't already. The kitchen will do it, but its kinda a pain if our don't know what to do.

Edit #1: Idk man. From ripping through your mod and having recently gone through all this. Pretty positive this won't work on a stock kernel unless it's modded. And the files are a little off from everything I've looked into doing my own homework on it.

Edit #2: I think I see what you did and I didn't know what that file actually was (used to it being named differently) and that this process was even possible. Believe your using "post boot" to run init.d, correct?
8th October 2012, 08:42 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 565

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesst20

You can flash this on any kernel and it should work

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

It's not working for me with stock kernel, however it does work with Motley, I haven't tried other kernels yet.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)