FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] How to prolong the life of your Li-Ion battery

213 posts
Thanks Meter: 276

By ItzCrooK2UxD, Senior Member on 1st October 2012, 10:33 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
First off this isn't a guide about how to make your battery last longer between charges, at least it isn't yet. If a demand arises I will happily facilitate. *EDIT* For simplicity's sake I am including a link to V7's battery guide which addresses increasing the time between charges. ✭[GUIDE][26-07-2016]Extreme Battery Life Thread(Greenify+Amplify+Power Nap)✭This guide is about reducing wear that happens from many thing we all either knowingly do; out of a possible misunderstanding, or ignorance. All of this information is available doing a simple Google search, I am posting it here though for those who otherwise would not think to Google it. Furthermore I claim credit for absolutely none of this, but I do hope you find it helpful.

HOW TO PROLONG YOUR Li-Ion BATTERY'S LIFE

1) Keep your battery at room temperature: Heat is the worst enemy of your cell phones battery. So keeping your battery at room temperature (65-75*F) is the first step towards prolonging your battery's life. According to Battery University
Quote:

each 8°C (15°F) rise in temperature cuts the life of a sealed lead acid battery in half.

They also go on further adding
Quote:

Once the battery is damaged by heat, the capacity cannot be restored.

There are many things you can do to keep your battery cooler, such as taking it off the charger when the phone is done charging, and avoiding prolonged continuous usage. Also avoid leaving your phone in your car, it gets upwards of 140* in a car during the summer. The worst thing that can happen to a Li-Ion battery is a full charge and high heat, so avoid charging your phone until your car has cooled off if you are charging your battery in the car. Heat is by far the greatest factor when it comes to reducing the lifespan of a Li-Ion battery.

2) Use partial-discharge cycles: According to lancair.net
Quote:

Using only 20% or 30% of the battery capacity before recharging will extend cycle life considerably

Other sites I read while researching this stated that users should use up to 80% of their energy before recharging, they were all consistent with regards to a few things including: avoiding full discharges will prolong battery life, and it takes several partial charges to use one full charge cycle. Additionally Li-Ion batteries do not have "charge memory", but your digital device most likely does. Discharging the battery until cut off after every 30 charge cycles re calibrates the devices gauge.

3) Avoid keeping your battery at 100%: Every source I referenced for this guide said the same thing about keeping your battery at a full capacity, but oranageinks.com explains it most simply by stating
Quote:

Permanent capacity loss is greatest at elevated temperatures with the battery voltage maintained at maximum (fully charged).

4) If you are going to store your battery for an extended period store it at about 50% charged: This goes hand-in-hand with number 3. Also keeping the battery cool during extended storage will slow deterioration. Keeping the battery in a sealed bag or tupperware in your refrigerator is okay, but storing your battery in the freezer is not. When a battery is fully charged oxidation is occurring at its highest rate, and oxidation is essential corrosion. Oxidation occurs whether the battery is in use or not, for this reason it is better to get a high capacity battery rather than a spare. So with this said it almost should go without saying that if you can, buy batteries with a recent manufacture date.

5) Avoid completely discharging your battery: Lancair.com states:
Quote:

Very deep discharges will quickly, permanently damage a Li-ion battery. Internal metal plating can occur causing a short circuit, making the battery unusable and unsafe. Most Li-ion batteries have protection circuitry within their battery packs that open the battery connection if the battery voltage is less than 2.5 V or exceeds 4.3 V, or if the battery current exceeds a predefined threshold level when charging or is charging

If you found this helpful please don't forget to hit the "Thanks" button
The Following 138 Users Say Thank You to ItzCrooK2UxD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ItzCrooK2UxD Ad-Free
1st October 2012, 03:13 PM |#2  
Flag South Tangerang
Thanks Meter: 7

More
now that explain why my battery drain so fast,my phone temperature is a bit high these days,thank you :good
1st October 2012, 08:29 PM |#3  
Flag Kermanshah
Thanks Meter: 36

More
I decrease my battry drain with installing som suitable kernal
this way realy effective in my device battry mangement
1st October 2012, 09:59 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Orlando, FL

More
You're absolutely right, and you hit the nail on the head,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeedblack

realy[sic] effective in my device battry[sic] mangement

But the physical battery itself needs care too. Device battery management is more related to how much power the CPU sees that the device has. Understanding how a Li-Ion battery works is kinda important at this point. So basically the positive electrode is made of Lithium cobalt oxide (cathode), or LiCoO2. The negative electrode is made of carbon (anode). When the battery is charging, ions of lithium move through the electrolyte from the positive electrode to the negative electrode and attach to the carbon. During discharge, the lithium ions move back to the LiCoO2 from the carbon. Over time the Lithium ions bond to the carbon thereby restricting the flow, creating resistance which decreases the battery's ability to deliver current. So properly caring for your battery is really the only thing that will slow the inevitable. Its kinda the same thing for a car...all cars eventually die, but if you take care of them they will last much longer than if you neglect them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ItzCrooK2UxD For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ItzCrooK2UxD Ad-Free
1st October 2012, 10:24 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thanks for this. It's not the usually same guide for battery improvementent.
My battery life got a little better.
1st October 2012, 10:27 PM |#6  
Flag Tallinn
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Battery Full
Thanks mate, that's some good information.
2nd October 2012, 12:24 AM |#7  
Flag Queluz
Thanks Meter: 54

Donate to Me
More
Hi.

Just wondering:
in "5) Avoid completely discharging your battery"

Most battery calibration softwares say you SHOULD fully discharge your battery then fully charge it for a good calibration.
So, someone like me, who likes to try new roms, new nightlys all the time, are "slowly" burning the battery to ashes by calibrating it after every flash.
2nd October 2012, 01:48 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
It looks like running the processor faster than specified (overclocking) can result in higher temperatures inside the device and faster battery wear as a result.
2nd October 2012, 01:53 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Orlando, FL

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by azraelus

Hi.

Just wondering:
in "5) Avoid completely discharging your battery"

Most battery calibration softwares say you SHOULD fully discharge your battery then fully charge it for a good calibration.
So, someone like me, who likes to try new roms, new nightlys all the time, are "slowly" burning the battery to ashes by calibrating it after every flash.

YES you are slowly burning the battery out, by draining it after every flash. The battery is going to die inevitably anyways though, most of the sources I found suggest doing a "full drain" every 30 charge cycles. Perhaps this is when you should go ahead and do your battery calibration. Also a full drain is not exactly self-explanatory in this case. Your device may say that a battery has 1% of its energy left and to an extent it does, but the battery is designed to cut off before it gets too hot or too low. If you have a tendency to cut your phone back on after it dies then you will deplete the battery completely, possibly resulting in permanent damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian816

It looks like running the processor faster than specified (overclocking) can result in higher temperatures inside the device and faster battery wear as a result.

Yes O/C can raise temperatures of the device. Certain kernels run a little hotter than others. My device is currently O/C'd and isn't any hotter than normal when I am not using the device due to CPU governors and what not, and its only marginally hotter than it is when at the stock clock speed. Prolonged heavy use takes a toll on the battery, due to the heat its creating. Also don't let the little bit of heat increase stop you from O/C'ing your device. Many manufacturers use the same cpu with different clock speeds, EX Snapdragon S3 chip is used in the EVO 3D @ 1.2GHz, and the HTC Rezound @ 1.5GHZ from the factory. This is done to reduce power consumption on power hungry phones or to extend the life of a cpu that has proven itself reliable(such as in the example of the Snapdragon S3)...it also helps to market devices without spending more on development.
2nd October 2012, 03:28 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 17

More
Good adwise!
The Following User Says Thank You to mrc77 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift mrc77 Ad-Free
2nd October 2012, 05:08 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
This is all very good advice. A lot of it I knew, but I learned a couple new things as well. Glad to see someone making it more easily available to our community!

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda app-developers app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
extend battery life, prolong battery life, prolong battery lifespan

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)