Bon Voyage Sidekick 4G say hi to bhundven!

Search This thread

SidekickColor

Sep 14, 2012
Kentucky
I'm glad people are still developing for the SK4G. Especially since there's not going to be a direct predecessor at the moment. This SK is far from perfect but "any port in a storm" lol.

I've been very pleased with the performance I've gotten from available ROMS so more development can only lead to better things. :)

Sent from my Sidekick using xda app-developers app [also, where's my L, Samsung?]

TheLastSidekick

Recognized Contributor
Aug 4, 2012
I'm glad people are still developing for the SK4G. Especially since there's not going to be a direct predecessor at the moment. This SK is far from perfect but "any port in a storm" lol.

I've been very pleased with the performance I've gotten from available ROMS so more development can only lead to better things. :)

Sent from my Sidekick using xda app-developers app [also, where's my L, Samsung?]

Glad you still find the ROMs up to standards. There is not a direct predecessor to the SK4G, but the Relay is very close.

SidekickColor

Sep 14, 2012
Kentucky
Yea, but it is not as direct as I would like, lol. I am sure the software is buit better but I like physical buttons and hate change.

ged92781

Mar 8, 2007
I went and tried out the Relay at the store. I was seriously considering getting one before I held it in my hands. Unfortunately, the buttons on the keyboard don't protrude enough from the phone and doesn't feel very good. It's like typing on micro-chiclets! I also miss the jump key. So, I hope T-Mobile decides to release another Sidekick at some point and that bhundven's work goes well updating the SK4G to something newer.

RicAndroid

Aug 5, 2012
I went and tried out the Relay at the store. I was seriously considering getting one before I held it in my hands. Unfortunately, the buttons on the keyboard don't protrude enough from the phone and doesn't feel very good. It's like typing on micro-chiclets! I also miss the jump key. So, I hope T-Mobile decides to release another Sidekick at some point and that bhundven's work goes well updating the SK4G to something newer.

After the windxixi thread, I wasn't very optimistic regarding CM 6/7 on the Sidekick. I've been using GOV v3 and GenericGinger 4.1....switching back and forth. Both excellent roms, BTW.

With bhundven working on this now, I feel that great things are on its way for us Sidekick users! :good:

achaps81

Apr 20, 2008
i still have mine, im getting the htc inspire 4g tonight, my sidekick is going in the drawer and hopefully wont see the light of day again...

ged92781

Mar 8, 2007
i still have mine, im getting the htc inspire 4g tonight, my sidekick is going in the drawer and hopefully wont see the light of day again...

Mine is still alive and kicking, but mainly sees use as a mp3 player for my children. I hope a newer version of Android does come to this device via the developers we do have. I like it a lot still.

graycow9

Mar 10, 2012
West Warwick, RI
Mine is still alive and kicking, but mainly sees use as a mp3 player for my children. I hope a newer version of Android does come to this device via the developers we do have. I like it a lot still.

I agree, I love my Sidekick, it's just really annoying on Froyo still.... I make the best of it though with RicAndroids roms and playing around with the insides. I find myself swapping roms A LOT to kind of kep myself interested. I can't let go of it though, ever, I love the keyboard and I know it could do amazing things with the proper help...I mean my Optimus T (P509) has freakin Jellybean and can be overclocked and modded 6152912 different ways. I know this device could be killer.... Any ideas on asking some devs to help us out? D=

ged92781

Mar 8, 2007
I agree, I love my Sidekick, it's just really annoying on Froyo still.... I make the best of it though with RicAndroids roms and playing around with the insides. I find myself swapping roms A LOT to kind of kep myself interested. I can't let go of it though, ever, I love the keyboard and I know it could do amazing things with the proper help...I mean my Optimus T (P509) has freakin Jellybean and can be overclocked and modded 6152912 different ways. I know this device could be killer.... Any ideas on asking some devs to help us out? D=

Maybe this could be an unusual case where a call for devs gets put on the XDA portal? Just musing... please don't kill me!

graycow9

Mar 10, 2012
West Warwick, RI
Maybe this could be an unusual case where a call for devs gets put on the XDA portal? Just musing... please don't kill me!

Nono I won't kill anyone I'm chill. But I find this kind of interesting :) do you think XDA would allow such a request?

I like coding things, I have very very light java coding skill, and more-so in HTML. Both could also use a great deal of training and re-learning....pathetic I know .-. But if I could learn more and had someone to guide me I would love to do it myself after I'm out of school for good :D just saying. My biggest problem is the need for some sort of laptop that can handle developing :( I am at a loss.

Back to the topic, do you think it's possible? Bhundven could probably use some help on his way :)

Sent from my SK4G running NeXus_JB_1.3.2

ivoe

Most devs are using high end devices an id doubt they will come to the aid of a discontinued, underrated, froyo phone :c plus they will neeed the phone to do stuff with so that's around 10-100 bucks
I was messing with the lcd density an put it at 190 or 200 an it looks amazing its not cluttered it has nice spacing an looks like it is bigger .. the only back fire is some of the stock files like music phone or messaging are kinda messed up looking
The dial pad is 1/3 of the screen an is on the top left.. music still only shows what you could see in stock version an is 2/3 of the screen... messaging just looks really big still (didn't chec it out completly

Sent from my SGH-T839 using xda app-developers app

graycow9

Mar 10, 2012
West Warwick, RI
I would ver very very much appreciate it, maybe a dev with lots of time on their hands and would like to? Can't hurt to at least try right? o_O

Sent to you from me through waves of informatory silence...

Top Liked Posts