As local devices like mi 500 don't have a separate section for them on xda, here's a specific thread for our mi 500 where you can share everything related to the phone: ROMs, recoveries, themes, games you can play and everything that can be done on an Android.
Rooting your phone:
- Download Bin4ry rooting tool from his thread.
- Install drivers on your windows pc using pdanet.
- Connect your phone to your pc.
- Unzip Bin4ry's tool and run the RunMe.bat batch script.
- Follow the instructions that roll in the command window and you will be done.
A big thanks to Nileshtambe for this.
ClockworkMod ported to Spice Mi 500!
- Download CWM or TWRP recovery.
- Rename the downloaded file to recovery.img and transfer it to your phone's sd card.
- Download Mobile uncle MTK Tools from Play Store.
- Open the app and select update recovery.
- Select yes in the confirmation dialog and your recovery will be flashed.
Thank you Yuweng for porting CWM, and NileshTambe for confirming it's working.
Specs of Spice Mi 500:
Dimensions: 143x77.4x10.5 mm
GSM Phone,Quad-band GSM 850/ 900/ 1800/ 1900
Battery: 2400 mAh
5" TFT display with 480x800 resolution, 186.59 ppi density and 0.1361 mm dot pitch.
Weight: 205 g
Capacitive multitouch touch screen
Internal: 2.07 GB
External: upto 32 GB
Ram: 512 MB
ROM: 4 GB
Secondary/back camera: 5 megapixels with autofocus and dual LED flash
Primary Camera: 0.3 megapixel
GPS/A-GPS, proximity sensor, accelerometer
The phone is dual Sim and supports dual standby. Other hardware features include 3G, Bluetooth, Wifi and everything else generally found in a phone.
The phone can currently be ordered from saholic for inr 12,499.
Whatever follows ahead is not meant for noobs, neither for those who don't want to risk their devices. Following anything below might lead you to voiding your manufacturer warranty.
P.S. If any developer has got this device, please port clockwork mood recovery to this device. If you have got any specific rooting method that worked for your mi 500, post it below our pm me.