Remove All Ads from XDA

mods please close thread

291 posts
Thanks Meter: 183

By timstanley1985, Senior Member on 22nd October 2012, 11:13 AM
Thread Closed Email Thread
closed
Attached Files
File Type: img boot.img - [Click for QR Code] (4.81 MB, 1130 views)
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to timstanley1985 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift timstanley1985 Ad-Free

22nd October 2012, 11:13 AM |#2  
OP Senior Member
Flag London

More
How to compile TWRP recovery?

I followed the guide here http://rootzwiki.com/topic/23903-how...p-from-source/

To summarize...

1. Install Linux
2. Set up CM10 build environment - this is sssssooooo easy and there are loads of guides available with just a simple google search.
3. Repo sync
4. Build standard cm10 from source
5. Delete the contents of the ~/android/system/bootable/recovery and replace with https://github.com/TeamWin/Team-Win-Recovery-Project/ - i just clicked on the download zip button on the top left and unzipped into the folder but am sure there is a proper way of doing this... zip clone???
6. gedit ~/android/system/device/samsung/galaxys2-common/recovery.rc and add: export LD_LIBRARY_PATH .:/sbin
7. gedit ~/android/system/device/samsung/n7000/BoardConfig.mk and add the following to the bottom of the file

#twrp
DEVICE_RESOLUTION := 800x1280

8. cd ~/android/system
9. make -j3 bootimage (if you have a quad core processor make -j5 bootimage)
10. you can find your boot.img at ~/android/system/out/target/product/n7000
11. Copy to SDCARD and flash with mobile odin
12. Done!!!!!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to timstanley1985 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift timstanley1985 Ad-Free
22nd October 2012, 12:25 PM |#3  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag New Delhi
Thanks Meter: 5,721

Donate to Me
More
good work. appreciate the effort you have put in.

looking into it now.
22nd October 2012, 02:46 PM |#4  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Palma
Thanks Meter: 7,629

Donate to Me
More
Finally here, good work. Will try it as i'm already using TWRP in my N7.

Enviat des d'es meu Nexus 7 amb so Tapatalk2
22nd October 2012, 09:13 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 528

More
im using TWRP to flash rom for N8013 and work great.Thanks
22nd October 2012, 10:42 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 102

More
nice to see u
subscribed.
AndroidSlave
23rd October 2012, 02:40 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
You Should pm entropy

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
23rd October 2012, 10:12 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag London

More
I have sent him a PM

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA Premium HD app
23rd October 2012, 01:25 PM |#9  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 25,476

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by timstanley1985

Team Win Recovery Project 2.3 for Galaxy Note (CM10 only)

If you do not know what TWRP is, click here first...... now you know what TWRP is (and how very cool it is!!!) we can continue.

Foreword:

I have looked at those with devices with TWRP with envy for the entire time i have owned a Galaxy Note and have been waiting patiently for an experienced Dev to compile a version for the N7000. After a year of ownership this has not happened so i have decided to go ahead and do it myself!!

Why have you called this a proof on concept?

For a few reasons:

1. I am not an experienced Dev... i have built CM6, 7 and 10 from source and done all the usual tweaks to my android devices but that is where my experience ends. This in itself is no big deal in its self but leads me to point 2...
2. This recovery may have MMC_CAP_ERASE / Brick Bug! I do not know how to check if it is present or not! Until an experienced Dev confirms MMC_CAP_ERASE has been fully suppressed you should assume this recovery is dangerous. As soon as an experienced Dev confirms the recovery is safe i will update this post. If it is confirmed it is not safe i will remove all links
3. I unfortunately to do not have time to maintain this recovery. As Samsung recoveries are included in the boot.img (kernel) it will mean the recovery will need recompiling every time a change is merged to the kernel in CM10. As development is still very active on the N7000 kernel i cannot make the commitment to recompile this that often
4. I am not a kernel Dev therefore i can only compile stock kernel with TWRP recovery. We all love (me included) a custom kernel with all the normal tweaks, OC etc. etc. I will never be able to achieve this so want to use this as the seed for somebody else to take and use to build there own custom kernel with TWRP recovery
5. It needs more extensive testing.... I have been playing with it for an hour this morning and everything seems to work fine but needs more testing.

I have included how to compile TWRP in post two... did i hear someone say enough talking, i want to try this out!!!

How to install

I have attached the boot.img at the bottom of this post.

1. Download
2. Copy to SDCARD
3. Flash with Mobile Odin
4. Enjoy!!

Please remember: This recovery may contain MMC_CAP_ERASE / Brick Bug! I do not known how to check! It is built from CM10 sources and there are TWRP ports for other devices so should be safe but i cannopt be positive! Use at your own risk!

Experienced Dev's: Any feedback on whether this recovery is safe would be VERY gratefully received!

As soon as any confirmation of this recovery being unsafe i will remove link immediately!

Based on item #4 (this is using a stock kernel repacked with a new recovery) - it will not be safe for flashing things.

For wipes and backups, it depends on exactly how you built it. Run strings on the binary...

Code:
strings recovery |grep MMC
If you see
Code:
warning: %s: Wipe via secure discard suppressed due to bug in EMMC firmware
The recovery binary is safe to do wipes/backups with, but as said above, if you used a stock kernel, it will be dangerous to flash ZIPs.

Also, of course, as this is a galaxys2-family device, the moment you flash anything containing a new kernel, TWRP will be gone.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd October 2012, 03:21 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member
Flag London

More
Sorry, I should have been clearer. When I say stock kernel I mean stock CM10 kernel. This recovery is built by deleting the /bootable/recovery/ folder and replacing it with TWRP recovery. The rest of the build is standard CM10.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA Premium HD app
23rd October 2012, 03:49 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 310

Donate to Me
More
Some usage feedback: I found it quite hard navigating through a folder filled with many sub-folders and files to select what I want to flash...quite jerky UI and a lot different from the experience I get on my TWRP-recoveried tablet.
But great initial release dev - really, well done!
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread