Originally Posted by timstanley1985
Team Win Recovery Project 2.3 for Galaxy Note (CM10 only)
If you do not know what TWRP is, click here first...... now you know what TWRP is (and how very cool it is!!!) we can continue.
I have looked at those with devices with TWRP with envy for the entire time i have owned a Galaxy Note and have been waiting patiently for an experienced Dev to compile a version for the N7000. After a year of ownership this has not happened so i have decided to go ahead and do it myself!!
Why have you called this a proof on concept?
For a few reasons:
1. I am not an experienced Dev... i have built CM6, 7 and 10 from source and done all the usual tweaks to my android devices but that is where my experience ends. This in itself is no big deal in its self but leads me to point 2...
2. This recovery may have MMC_CAP_ERASE / Brick Bug! I do not know how to check if it is present or not! Until an experienced Dev confirms MMC_CAP_ERASE has been fully suppressed you should assume this recovery is dangerous. As soon as an experienced Dev confirms the recovery is safe i will update this post. If it is confirmed it is not safe i will remove all links
3. I unfortunately to do not have time to maintain this recovery. As Samsung recoveries are included in the boot.img (kernel) it will mean the recovery will need recompiling every time a change is merged to the kernel in CM10. As development is still very active on the N7000 kernel i cannot make the commitment to recompile this that often
4. I am not a kernel Dev therefore i can only compile stock kernel with TWRP recovery. We all love (me included) a custom kernel with all the normal tweaks, OC etc. etc. I will never be able to achieve this so want to use this as the seed for somebody else to take and use to build there own custom kernel with TWRP recovery
5. It needs more extensive testing.... I have been playing with it for an hour this morning and everything seems to work fine but needs more testing.
I have included how to compile TWRP in post two... did i hear someone say enough talking, i want to try this out!!!
How to install
I have attached the boot.img at the bottom of this post.
2. Copy to SDCARD
3. Flash with Mobile Odin
Please remember: This recovery may contain MMC_CAP_ERASE / Brick Bug! I do not known how to check! It is built from CM10 sources and there are TWRP ports for other devices so should be safe but i cannopt be positive! Use at your own risk!
Experienced Dev's: Any feedback on whether this recovery is safe would be VERY gratefully received!
As soon as any confirmation of this recovery being unsafe i will remove link immediately!
Based on item #4 (this is using a stock kernel repacked with a new recovery) - it will not be safe for flashing things.
For wipes and backups, it depends on exactly how you built it. Run strings on the binary...
strings recovery |grep MMC
If you see
warning: %s: Wipe via secure discard suppressed due to bug in EMMC firmware
The recovery binary is safe to do wipes/backups with, but as said above, if you used a stock kernel, it will be dangerous to flash ZIPs.
Also, of course, as this is a galaxys2-family device, the moment you flash anything containing a new kernel, TWRP will be gone.