Allwinner Boxchip A10 10.2" Mini Netbook

414 posts
Thanks Meter: 136

Post Reply Email Thread
Does anyone have this A10 Netbook:

Specifications:
CPU – Allwinner Boxchip A10 @ 1.0GHz (Cortex A8 with Mali 400 GPU
System Memory – 1GB RAM
Storage – 4GB Flash + SD Card slot (up to 32 GB)
Display – 10″ LCD Display (non-touchscreen) with 1024×600 resolution.
Connectivity
*10/100M Ethernet RJ45
*Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n built-in
*3G support via external 3G dongle: E1916, ZTE AC2736, HUAWEI E1750, HUAWEI EC122, HUAWEI EM770W…
USB – 3x USB 2.0 Host ports
Camera – 0.3 MP front camera
Audio I/O – 3.5mm headphone and microphone jacks, built-in microphone and speaker,
Sensors – Gravity Sensor
Battery – 2800mAh – Up to 3 hours usage
Dimensions - 278 x 188 x 25 mm
Weight – 807g

Detailed description is here:
http://tinyurl.com/8lul4v2
Here is AndroidAnalyzer (Androidfragmentation.com) report:
http://tinyurl.com/8lg9x4r

I have been trying to find the original factory image, but have not been successful so far.
Got the the boot.img pulled and unpacked it, going to try to build proper CWM recovery (it has the "<3e>/ PUB101" recovery).
This is from build.prop: "ro.build.fingerprint=softwinners/crane_pub101/crane-pub101:4.0.3/IML74K/20120607:eng/test-keys"
I think it may be compatible with some other A10 tablets as far as the OS, minus the touch display properties.
My impressions so far:
- it's light weight, QWERTY keyboard is nice (no fingerprints!)
- WiFi reception is pretty good
- processor and RAM are fast enough
- additional storage with full SD Card
- 3 full USB host ports and LAN port
- built in camera and mic are pretty decent for Skype
- built in speaker is kind of weak

If anyone else has this gadget, please share your thoughts...
26th October 2012, 06:52 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Prompt Help~~~~ i have a problem
i got this device few days ago and i immediately realised it was a mistake to buy this. now when i open the device it gets stuck at the big Android logo and never boots...i tried hard resetting but it is not solving my problem. i tried googling out but in vein. i really need to get this thing working can anyone pls help.
26th October 2012, 06:33 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Nature Coast

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUMN

i got this device few days ago and i immediately realised it was a mistake to buy this. now when i open the device it gets stuck at the big Android logo and never boots...i tried hard resetting but it is not solving my problem. i tried googling out but in vein. i really need to get this thing working can anyone pls help.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems and bootloop.
I haven't spent much time playing with this, but mine boots and works fine.
When you say "Big Android Logo", is it the square logo in middle of screen, the greenish screen with Android in bottom right corner or the Letters "ANDROID" flashing in middle of screen? And how did you "reset" it?
I agree, there is not any usable information about this device on the interwebs, maybe because is so new and uncommon.
I'm trying to figure out how to connect it to a PC so we can get adb access, but with the 3 USB ports being host only, I haven't had any luck.
Hopefully some more people get this device so we can get some development.
./B
26th October 2012, 06:42 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Unhappy any luck
yes mine got stuck at the point when "ANDROID" flashes in middle, is there any firmware i can flash on it or maybe links to the original firmware?
i really feel stupid now having bought this plastic crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kozmo2k4

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems and bootloop.
I haven't spent much time playing with this, but mine boots and works fine.
When you say "Big Android Logo", is it the square logo in middle of screen, the greenish screen with Android in bottom right corner or the Letters "ANDROID" flashing in middle of screen? And how did you "reset" it?
I agree, there is not any usable information about this device on the interwebs, maybe because is so new and uncommon.
I'm trying to figure out how to connect it to a PC so we can get adb access, but with the 3 USB ports being host only, I haven't had any luck.
Hopefully some more people get this device so we can get some development.
./B

26th October 2012, 07:10 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag Nature Coast

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUMN

yes mine got stuck at the point when "ANDROID" flashes in middle, is there any firmware i can flash on it or maybe links to the original firmware?
i really feel stupid now having bought this plastic crap.

I have not found the factory image and there is no manufacturer to contact.
Have you tried to boot it up while it's plugged in?
Lo and behold, I just found this:
http://elinux.org/Hack_A10_devices
From what I read there so far, it can be booted from USB (like the Nook Color from µSD card), so bricking it is almost impossible.
We need to find a way to boot into recovery; then you should be able to
Gotta read through it some more and try to get the system image....

./B
27th October 2012, 07:52 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Nature Coast

Donate to Me
More
Exclamation Dead?
Well, I went tot turn it on this morning and.... nothing!!! Only the green LED.
Plugged it it, let it charge for over 4 hours (normally it would take about 2- 2.5 to get full charge while turned off) and it will not come on.
Crap, I thought I was starting to make a little headway here...
Going to pop the cover and inspect the "guts" to see if anything maybe got disconnected and test the battery... (fingers crossed)...

./B
30th October 2012, 05:23 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Nature Coast

Donate to Me
More
Thumbs down Yup, dead netbook
Still dead, can't see anything "fried" inside, battery check out OK, don't know what else to do...
Here are some pictures from the inside:

and this is the battery:

Maybe these can help someone in the future...
18th December 2012, 09:13 AM |#8  
Flag Turku
Thanks Meter: 254

More
Hello, anyone still following this thread?

I got a tablet like this from a friend to play with. At least I think it's the same, I found this, it has no stickers except "Boxchp A10" on the bottom and white, but similar otherwise.

It also bootloops after using it a little while and first reboot. Does any one know a key combo to boot it with to factory reset or has any one managed to boot it to recovery? I have some image on a sdcard which the supplier claims it should boot if you just insert it to the sdslot but it has no effect what so ever.

I tried booting it while holding each of the mouse buttons down. Left mouse button has no effect but with right mouse button it just starts with black screen.
18th December 2012, 05:07 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag Nature Coast

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by labbe-

Hello, anyone still following this thread?

I got a tablet like this from a friend to play with. At least I think it's the same, I found this, it has no stickers except "Boxchp A10" on the bottom and white, but similar otherwise.

It also bootloops after using it a little while and first reboot. Does any one know a key combo to boot it with to factory reset or has any one managed to boot it to recovery? I have some image on a sdcard which the supplier claims it should boot if you just insert it to the sdslot but it has no effect what so ever.

I tried booting it while holding each of the mouse buttons down. Left mouse button has no effect but with right mouse button it just starts with black screen.

Hi labbe-
Head on over to the link I posted from elinux.org and read up on how to re-image the device.
Mine is dead, so I can't be of any more help. Over the holidays I'll try to spend some time on it to see if I can resurrect it.
Where did you get a copy of the vendor image? Do you mind sharing it?
I bought that minibook to have as a tool to learn how to develop on Android devices, but only got as far as pulling the recovery/kernel and system images before it decided to die. Hoping I can figure it out somehow...
Best regards
./B
18th December 2012, 05:14 PM |#10  
Flag Turku
Thanks Meter: 254

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kozmo2k4

Hi labbe-
Head on over to the link I posted from elinux.org and read up on how to re-image the device.
Mine is dead, so I can't be of any more help. Over the holidays I'll try to spend some time on it to see if I can resurrect it.
Where did you get a copy of the vendor image? Do you mind sharing it?
I bought that minibook to have as a tool to learn how to develop on Android devices, but only got as far as pulling the recovery/kernel and system images before it decided to die. Hoping I can figure it out somehow...
Best regards
./B

Ok, missed that link, will look a look at it tomorrow. Will also share the image, hopefully it is the right one.

It's been a small project and a huge pain in the ass to get that to come to life. I actually found a reset button on the bottom like 15 seconds after posting on this thread but it didn't help
18th December 2012, 05:25 PM |#11  
Flag Chennai
Thanks Meter: 7

More
I have the Iberry 7inch TAB with SIM made in India. I have the latest IMG file from the the vendor on this link

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1993621

It may be of some help

/R
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
10.2" netbook, allwinner a10, android netbook, boxchip a10, minibook

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)