FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[DEV HACK IDEA] Porting over Android to the new Chromebook..??

8 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By the_crazy_devil, Junior Member on 23rd October 2012, 09:02 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I checked out the specs of the newly-announced $249 chromebook, and I realized what an awesome android device it would make, if only android was successfully ported to it....

I know at the same price point we can get a n7 32gig, but the larger 11.6" LED HD tempts me, though the res at 1366 x 768 is not that great. also, all the hands-on reviews have heaped a lot of praise on the high-quality keyboard-touchpad on the device, which is even more tempting and would make up for the lack of touch input on the device...

Its config is pretty identical to a flagship android phone/tablet with two cortex-A15 cores on the Exynos 5250, 2gig RAM and 16GB onboard storage with an expandable mem slot, 2 full usb ports and a full HDMI out, with the usual WiFi a/b/g/n and Bluetooth 3.0.

I'm a noob when it comes to creating ports and ROMS, but I guess it would not be such a difficult task for the awesome dev community out here to manage that feat. Maybe we need to wait for an actual android device with the exynos chip inside to release, whose android ROM we could use as a base to port to the chromebook...

windows 8 RT would be more awesome, but seeing that its a licensed OS, porting it might amount to piracy/illegal hacking, so its not something that I would discuss/encourage here....

23rd October 2012, 10:24 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 48

More
Chromebooks boot with UEFI (Basically a modern BIOS), so the Android source code would have to be heavilly modified to be bootstraped from UEFI. Not to mention drivers and custom kernels (which isnt much of a pain if the hardware has documentation, all eyes on you Samsung.)

And I dont think we will ever see Windows on a chromebook unless someone creates an emulator for ChromeOS... Which I dont think is possible, but dont quote me on that.
23rd October 2012, 09:28 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Ahmedabad

More
i know it would take a ton of modding to find a workaround for it, but enabling the developer mode on the chromebook allows booting of an unsigned linux installation off the external memory (eg. gentoo ubuntu) on the x86 chromebooks currently available (Cr-48 etc..)

trying something similar for booting android off an image on the mem card might be a possible way...

UPDATE : https://plus.google.com/109993695638...ts/b2fazijJppZ a google employee has already begun work on porting ubuntu..!!
23rd October 2012, 09:38 PM |#4  
OP Junior Member
Flag Ahmedabad

More
drivers would be difficult, esp for the SoC as there is no device currently on the market with it. but maybe after Samsung releases a couple of phones/phablets running the A15's, porting of the drivers could be attempted...
24th October 2012, 07:37 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I was wondering the same thing and figured I would come here to see if anything was planned. I just ordered the new one and was curious if there would be much interest in modding this thing. Guess in due time!
26th October 2012, 08:34 PM |#6  
OP Junior Member
Flag Ahmedabad

More
rumors say the upcoming google nexus 10 tablet is running identical hardware (exynos 5 dual omap15 / 2gig ram) which is gonna run android 4.2

once its out, MAYBE porting the ROM to the chromebook may become a teeny bit easier...
29th October 2012, 02:14 PM |#7  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 4,442

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_crazy_devil

rumors say the upcoming google nexus 10 tablet is running identical hardware (exynos 5 dual omap15 / 2gig ram) which is gonna run android 4.2

once its out, MAYBE porting the ROM to the chromebook may become a teeny bit easier...

If I'm not wrong Nexus 10 will have exactly the same processor than the new Samsung Chromebook. If someon manage port android to this new latop I won't hesitate to buy it.
29th October 2012, 02:32 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 22

More
there is a developer board with same hardware and as far as I know it has android source codes, you can check the website http://www.arndaleboard.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
1st November 2012, 06:25 PM |#9  
South Bend
Thanks Meter: 47

More
Wasnt this done a while back with the CR-48 thanks to Hexxeh?
http://hexxeh.net/?p=328117655

Just got to find a way to port it over to the new Chromebook, then port Android.
3rd November 2012, 06:56 PM |#10  
Flag New York
Thanks Meter: 26

More
Since Android was ported to the HP Touchpad I'm pretty confident that it can be ported to this device... I mean the touchpad was the last thing I thought Android would run on and it runs like it was made for it... COME ON DEVS!
9th November 2012, 05:25 PM |#11  
Flag Chelmsford
Thanks Meter: 38

More
Following this thread with anticipation.
The Following User Says Thank You to ddlooping For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ddlooping Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread