FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Will this phone will not run 4G on SimpleMobile?

218 posts
Thanks Meter: 24

By galets, XDA Ad-Free Senior Member on 29th October 2012, 03:17 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Does anyone here knows exactly if there is some sort of limitation that would prevent this phone from getting 4G speeds on mysimplemobile.com (T-Mobile MVNO)?

I have been able to get 4G speeds on their network for almost 2 months, and then it switched to 3G speeds (~240kbps for downloads). I asked the tech support wtf is happening, and the guy came up with some bull###t explanation, why my phone cannot possibly run 4G. I do not have a feeling he knows what he's talking about because when I kept asking him what standard must the phone support for 4G speeds, he kept saying "it must run 4G on 1700 band". After I kept pressuring him, he said "HSDPA+ 1700".

He also mentioned that people are getting 4G speeds on their network with iPhones from AT&T, until the "system recognizes" and then they somehow down to EDGE. It makes no sense to me whatsoever, how could a phone that doesn't support frequency on which network is running could run 4G at all, like, EVER.

Does anybody here know about the intricacies of the 4G networking to tell:

* if Samsung Galaxy S 4G does indeed support 4G on whatever belongs to mysimplemobile?

* is there even such thing as HSDPA+ 1700MHz, and does SGS4G support this?

* is it possible that a phone legitimately runs at 4G speeds for months, and then out of sudden stops doing it without any foul play from operator?

* is it possible that the phone runs 4G on a network that does not even support their band (like this iPhone thing)

Here's a quote from the tech support email:

Quote:

Thank you for your interest Simple Mobile. We are responding to your
recent inquiry.

We were able to speak with you on October 28, 2012 (9:25 PM EST) at
*********. You were informed that the reason that your data speed
runs only with 3G is because your phone is not a supported handset for
4G speeds.

We understand that you were able to use the 4G speed these past few
months. You were informed that this case is similar with our iPhone
users. During activation, the network does not know the phone model the
SIM card is inserted into. The network sends data throughput through
multiple frequencies in order to determine the frequency the handset is
running into. Once the network realizes that the handset does not work
with 1700 MHz bands, it sends the appropriate data speed which is 2G.

Does that explanation make sense?

29th October 2012, 06:13 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 43

Donate to Me
More
Your phone wouldn't just stop getting 4g it would have never got it in the first place. If the phone supports what band the company uses for 4g then you get 4g if it does not the you will not.

The guy is an idiot about the iphone thing. It would be like setting your walky-talky to channel 5 and trying to talk to someone on channel 3. The bands either match or they don't.

My unicorn died, back on the pony.
29th October 2012, 06:54 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vopezy

Your phone wouldn't just stop getting 4g it would have never got it in the first place. If the phone supports what band the company uses for 4g then you get 4g if it does not the you will not.

The guy is an idiot about the iphone thing. It would be like setting your walky-talky to channel 5 and trying to talk to someone on channel 3. The bands either match or they don't.

My unicorn died, back on the pony.

I will wait a couple days for the next billing cycle, and if this theory is right, I will see 4G speeds back again. If I do, those SimpleMobile folks are sneaky a**holes. Not only they lie about their plan being "unlimited", they also have technical support lie about the phone/network capabilities in a manner that assumes their customers are dumb. This is wrong on so many levels....
30th October 2012, 02:23 AM |#4  
Flag Central Florida
Thanks Meter: 54

More
Put this code in your dialpad *#2263#
Then you can browse and select the bands your phone supports

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
30th October 2012, 03:18 AM |#5  
Twin Cities, Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 267

More
Simple mobile throttles you before you hit the 2gig mark. Yeap. It blows. It will reset on billing cycle. Text info to 848484 to see your usage and reset date.
The Following User Says Thank You to champ1919 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift champ1919 Ad-Free
30th October 2012, 05:48 AM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Thumbs down
Quote:
Originally Posted by champ1919

Simple mobile throttles you before you hit the 2gig mark. Yeap. It blows. It will reset on billing cycle. Text info to 848484 to see your usage and reset date.

That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming this for me.

How do they get away with it? They advertise unlimited everything, and then throttle? And not only throttle, but disable data completely after 3GB or 2.5GB, according to this: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...on-the-50-Plan

How come nobody sued their ass for doing it, isn't such blatant false advertisement a ground for class action?
30th October 2012, 03:13 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 502

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by galets

That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming this for me.

How do they get away with it? They advertise unlimited everything, and then throttle?

Throttle slows down but if you can still download, you are still unlimited, so they are not in breach and are still offering you unlimited.

Also read things like Section 25-2, and others http://www.mysimplemobile.com/Simple...onditions.aspx it's clearly there, so you agreed to that, so there is nothing you can do. You can't tether, you can't P2P, you can surf webpages basically or you might get throttled.
30th October 2012, 04:57 PM |#8  
Twin Cities, Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 267

More
When I first got suspended, the telephone rep I got to speak to, told me that Pandora was a breach of contract even. Maybe next month, instead of dropping the prices, they will up the data. Wishful thinking, but, doubtful.
4th November 2012, 05:56 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:

When I first got suspended, the telephone rep I got to speak to, told me that Pandora was a breach of contract even. Maybe next month, instead of dropping the prices, they will up the data. Wishful thinking, but, doubtful.

It is outrageous... I wrote a blog post why nobody should sign up with them. Please share around. Hopefully, at least a couple of poor souls would avoid this mess. http://blog.galets.net/2012/11/why-y...away-from.html
15th November 2012, 01:56 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by getochkn

Throttle slows down but if you can still download, you are still unlimited, so they are not in breach and are still offering you unlimited.

Also read things like Section 25-2, and others http://www.mysimplemobile.com/Simple...onditions.aspx it's clearly there, so you agreed to that, so there is nothing you can do. You can't tether, you can't P2P, you can surf webpages basically or you might get throttled.

Quote:

They just sent me a warning, "your data service at risk of being suspended due to violation of TOC, blablabla. call 1-800-xxxxxxx".

So, I called 1-800 number. Nobody there to talk to me, but the voice annotation says, like getochkn says, "if you're here, we've warned you, you agreed to our toc, we can disconnect you anytime we'd like, if you don't like that - f### off"

This made me quite confused, because I only used like 340Mb of "unlimited" data plan. Last month, when I used 2.5Gb, they didn't mind.

So I called tech support, trying to get an idea, what is it exactly that they don't want me to do. The guy started telling me all sorts of bologne, like we don't allow tethering, do you tether? I said "no". He said "do you have facebook?". I said "yes, what does it have to do with anything?". "WHEN YOU LEAVE FACEBOOK RUNNING, IT USES A LOT OF DATA, THIS IS WHY YOU GOT WARNING".

I said "I have facebook, but not on the phone. It seems to me that you are guessing. Can you look at my account, and tell me what exactly caused warning, so that I don't do it in future?" He said "it is because last month you used very little data, but this month you are using A LOT"

At this time I started suspecting that the dumbass not only does not know what he is talking about, but just makes up stuff as he goes. So I said, "you got access to my account, how much data does it show I used?".

he couldn't answer.

this was so eye opening... They are hiring monkeys for their tech support, and they are SO STUPID, THEY ARE NOT EVEN GIVEN ACCESS TO ACCOUNTS!!! So they make up stuff, as they go. I don't even know why would anybody call
15th November 2012, 08:54 PM |#11  
Flag Orlando, FL
Thanks Meter: 15

More
This entire thread is just disgraceful in terms of the tech support. He lets techs straight up lie to you. I'd ask for a higher up and complain.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using xda premium
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)