FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

UK Nook Glowlight software 1.2.0 - Don't use glownooter

61 posts
Thanks Meter: 29

Post Reply Email Thread
I got a uk glow worm on the 27th (2 days before release ) and one of the first things that I tried to do was to root with glownooter. Bad idea! I thought that I had bricked my device. I had to use a lot of trickery to recover from a loading screen lock-up and once I did the first thing that I did was backup my nook (Which i should have done before).

UPDATE!

Please try my new ROOT install pack HERE:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...0#post34216660

This can be used to root and install the most requested things of this thread in just one zip.

Here is a quick guide to most things you will need to do to get started. I will update this guide as I discover and build new modifications.

To Backup and Restore

Follow this guide. Please do this BEFORE any other tinkering!
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...-simple-touch/

Its important to check your backup before proceeding! Please listen to roustabout and dont skip this step... He knows what he's talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by roustabout

I'd like to suggest an addition to the backup method that many folks are using - always test your restore, but dont test it (the first time) on your device.

Your backup file should be about 2 gig.

find a 2 gig or larger flash drive or sdcard and restore your backup image to that drive.

when you're done, there should be 8 partitions, as there were on your Nook to begin with.

If you can't get that working - you're not ready to root yet. Until you're sure you can restore, don't start making changes, please.

People turn up all the time having screwed themselves over by restoring a partial backup and not knowing it, or having restored only one partition from a complete backup and having blown out the partition table.

Thanks roustabout

To Root!

Make sure you use the CWM file suitable for your SD Card. I used "2gb_clockwork-rc2" because my card was 2gb+.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1360994 (Thanks mali100)
Use WinImage with admin rights to restore CWM virtual hdd image to your SD.

Download tinynoot-1-of-2 and tinynoot-2-of-2
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1650593 (Thanks to eded333 and roustabout)
Put on CWM boot SD.

Install them in CWM back to back (I didn't bother with the restart in the middle as it should not make a difference considering the file content). After a restart you should have root access and an android launcher on your 1.2.0 Nook (among other files). If nook fails to boot one of the tinynoot files may have corrupted. Recover, Re-download and Retry!

To Add Apps

Using ADB to install apps is easy. Extract this to your C drive:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13673492/ADB...%20Drivers.zip

Navigate to the folder in a cmd prompt.
Drop your APK into the same folder and on your nook open the "adbwireless" app and enable ADB
That app will tell you what your nooks IP address is.

Then you can:
Code:
adb connect ip.address.of.nook:portnumber
adb install app_of_your_choice.apk
Setup ADB over USB

OK I have taken the liberty of building a quick driver mod to support your nook through USB. It works for me. First you need to have the android SDK if you don't already (sure you do but just in case ).
http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Make sure you tick to install the android USB driver when the SDK is installed.

Browse to extras\google\usb_driver in your SDK folder (wherever you put it) and replace android_winusb.inf with my file:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13673492/android_winusb.inf

Next go to C:\Users\your_user_account\.android and replace adb_usb.ini with my file:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13673492/adb_usb.ini

In device manager, point google ADB driver to this and hopefully that should get you set up!

To test type
Code:
adb devices
Its working if you get something like this:

Code:
* daemon not running. starting it now on port ____ * 
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
[YOUR NOOK] device
And then try
Code:
adb install app_of_your_choice.apk
UPDATE
Install Multitouch Kernel With Overclocking

Install the CWM zip using your clockworkmod SD card
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1906507

Thanks to johnjtaylor for discovering that this kernel works works.

Hopefully this more comprehensive guide will get others with this software to start playing around.

If this helps, be polite and say thankyou
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to loney01843 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift loney01843 Ad-Free

29th October 2012, 02:09 PM |#2  
Flag Atwater, Ohio
Thanks Meter: 59

More
Have you setup ADB yet? If you can connect with ADB and get a shell, you can execute a 'df' at the shell prompt to see how much free space is available in each partition. On my NST (no glowlight) apps seem to be installed in /data/app so see how much free space is there. On the NST, this appears to be the same partition that books purchased from B&N are placed in, so if you have a lot of books from B&N, you may have to archive some to install apps. Of course all this is going on the assumption that the NST Glow is similar to the NST in this regard.
The Following User Says Thank You to David0226 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift David0226 Ad-Free
29th October 2012, 02:44 PM |#3  
OP Member
Flag Surrey

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by David0226

Have you setup ADB yet? If you can connect with ADB and get a shell, you can execute a 'df' at the shell prompt to see how much free space is available in each partition. On my NST (no glowlight) apps seem to be installed in /data/app so see how much free space is there. On the NST, this appears to be the same partition that books purchased from B&N are placed in, so if you have a lot of books from B&N, you may have to archive some to install apps. Of course all this is going on the assumption that the NST Glow is similar to the NST in this regard.

Thanks for replying. I'm actually working setting up ADB now. As for books I only just got my nook so all of my titles are epub format on an sd card so i wouldn't think it would be that. As soon as I get ADB set up I will post back my results incase it helps anyone else with this new software version.
29th October 2012, 03:04 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Can you look in the documentation that comes with the reader for any reference to 'third party software' or 'GPL software'. They should list where to download / apply for the source code somewhere. Once we can see the source code we can compare it against the existing versions and identify any significant issues.
29th October 2012, 03:33 PM |#5  
OP Member
Flag Surrey

Donate to Me
More
I set up ADB.

Plenty of space in all partitions including /data for the apps that I want. Managed to install through "adb install some_app_i_want.apk" so problem resides with the amazon app store. Not really an issue for me because I have a specific set of apps that I want and don't need to browse the app store.

I will try to work out what's wrong for others.
29th October 2012, 03:38 PM |#6  
OP Member
Flag Surrey

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by staylo

Can you look in the documentation that comes with the reader for any reference to 'third party software' or 'GPL software'. They should list where to download / apply for the source code somewhere. Once we can see the source code we can compare it against the existing versions and identify any significant issues.

Thanks. I'm looking for it now
29th October 2012, 03:53 PM |#7  
OP Member
Flag Surrey

Donate to Me
More
No reference to GPL. Only references to third party software are to tell me that my warranty is no longer valid (no surprise there!)

Is there any other place I can find this info thats not the documentation?
29th October 2012, 04:16 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by loney01843

No reference to GPL. Only references to third party software are to tell me that my warranty is no longer valid (no surprise there!)

Is there any other place I can find this info thats not the documentation?

Nothing obvious from the uk.nook.com website. On the US site the 'support' section links to terms of service which contain the links to the open source code (see http://www.barnesandnoble.com/contai....asp?pid=43307 and search for NOOK 1.1.5 OSS Release ), but I can't see an equivalent on the UK site. It's an oversight, but such things happen with a new product launch.

You can email them at [email protected] . The relevant paragraph from the US site is:

1. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this Agreement, certain components of the Software are licensed subject to the General Public License Version 2.0, a copy of which is attached as Exhibit A (the "GPL License"). You may not use these components except in compliance with the GPL License. In addition, you may have additional rights with respect to such components under the GPL License, including, without limitation, the right to obtain the source code for such components from us. You may obtain a copy of such source code by contacting us through the contact information provided on the Web Site. We will provide such source code in accordance with the GPL License.

I don't legally have the right to request the source code myself, because I don't own a UK NOOK yet. (Yeah, thinly veiled excuse for laziness!)
The Following User Says Thank You to staylo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift staylo Ad-Free
29th October 2012, 04:48 PM |#9  
OP Member
Flag Surrey

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by staylo

Nothing obvious from the uk.nook.com website. On the US site the 'support' section links to terms of service which contain the links to the open source code (see http://www.barnesandnoble.com/contai....asp?pid=43307 and search for NOOK 1.1.5 OSS Release ), but I can't see an equivalent on the UK site. It's an oversight, but such things happen with a new product launch.

You can email them at [email protected] . The relevant paragraph from the US site is:

1. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this Agreement, certain components of the Software are licensed subject to the General Public License Version 2.0, a copy of which is attached as Exhibit A (the "GPL License"). You may not use these components except in compliance with the GPL License. In addition, you may have additional rights with respect to such components under the GPL License, including, without limitation, the right to obtain the source code for such components from us. You may obtain a copy of such source code by contacting us through the contact information provided on the Web Site. We will provide such source code in accordance with the GPL License.

I don't legally have the right to request the source code myself, because I don't own a UK NOOK yet. (Yeah, thinly veiled excuse for laziness!)

You're obviously not that lazy. Thanks for looking and gathering all of the extra info I need. I'll send B&N an e-mail and see what they say. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't want to hand it out considering you can use it for an easy root setup and install the amazon and kobo stores which could financially damage their advance into new territories! What are we to do! Can't even subscribe to a newspaper or magazine through the nook store yet!

I'll let you know when / if I get a response
29th October 2012, 09:38 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 213

More
There is a setting in nook touch tools that you need to "arm," to allow software from unknown sources to be installed before the Amazon appstore can install software on a tinynooted device.

The setting is a tickbox, "Allow non-Market apps"

Untick it if it is ticked by default, then re-tick it to get apps to install.
29th October 2012, 11:24 PM |#11  
OP Member
Flag Surrey

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by roustabout

There is a setting in nook touch tools that you need to "arm," to allow software from unknown sources to be installed before the Amazon appstore can install software on a tinynooted device.

The setting is a tickbox, "Allow non-Market apps"

Untick it if it is ticked by default, then re-tick it to get apps to install.

Thanks for the reply but I actually tried that. No joy. However perhaps it is this that is not working and not amazon app store. Im just installing through ADB instead. I wonder if I can enable unknown sources through ADB. Something to look at I guess!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)