[Guide] Return stock without latest RUU

159 posts
Thanks Meter: 103

By hokoonho, Senior Member on 30th October 2012, 06:11 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Who should read this post?
You have updated your One X to a newer version via OTA, then you want to restore the software/ return stock but the latest RUU is not available. (boot to fastboot mode and type the following command "fastboot getvar version-main", This is the true version of your phone!)
You have some basic skills to flash things using "fastboot"
Those who want to back to stock and wait for the JB OTA.
Those with ICS hboot should works without any problem, someone had test it on JB hboot and works(updated in step 6, 7). but we need more testers.

The concept behind.
1. Fool the RUU to make it believe that it is flashing the latest ROM, but actually, we are flashing an older version.
2. after that, boot up the phone with older version of software, then OTA and update the phone to latest software.

How to do that?

0. backup all your stuff including those in SD, all your stuff in your phone will be lost. Then wipe all data (including SD) using your custom recovery. (important! Otherwise, you may not be able to receive OTA).

1. You have to download a "custom RUU" that can be found here.
http://db.tt/z8ajRTuH
Feel free to give a thanks to billd2439, he provide this working link to download the custom RUU.
Just go to #115 http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1#post35139501 and give him a thanks

2. Download the ROM file, it should be in zip format. (You can also extract the rom file by running a RUU, just run the RUU, don't click anything and search the computer for "rom.zip") (In my case, I have an older version 1.29.708.15 rom extracted from RUU)
you may want to find RUU here http://www.htcruu.com

3. unzip the customRUU.zip to a folder, e.g. "customRUU"

4. unzip and extract "android-info.txt", "boot_signed.img" and "system.img" to a folder

5. open android-info.txt with "notepad" (notepad++ is highly recommended)

6. type the following command to get the information from your phone.
fastboot getvar all

you should pay attention to the following information
modelid:
cidnum:
mainver:
hbootpreupdate:

7. edit the value of "modelid", "cidnum", "mainver" and "hbootpreupdate" to match the information you get from step 6.
by doing this your will try to fool the RUU to belive that you are going to flash a newer version e.g (I have OTA my phone to 2.17.708.7, but now I want to fool the RUU with this old rom with a version number of 1.29.708.15, so I change the value to 2.17.708.7 )
Thanks ahmedaljaf for telling me to modify hbootpreupdate to makes JB downgrade works

8. save the file.

9. zip "android-info.txt", "boot_signed.img" and "system.img" and rename the zip to "rom.zip". (remember only zip the files, not the whole folder!)

10. place the "rom.zip" you just created to the "customRUU" folder

11. make sure your phone is still "unlock", remember to turn on USB Debugging, unplug the USB cable and reboot your phone, then goto fastboot mode and connect the USB cable.
(important, do the above to avoid error messages in RUU)

12. run the file "ARUWizard.exe" inside the folder "customRUU" (see the Attached Readme_Eng.pdf if the customRUU cannot display in correct language)
You can change the customRUU to English version by just delete or rename the language file "ARUWizard_Eng.lng" (Thanks ahmedaljaf for telling me this )

13. follow the on screen instruction,

14. your phone should reboot and boot up with and old version of software.

15. restart the phone and go to fastboot mode.

16. extract the "recovery_signed.img" from your old "rom.zip" (not the rom.zip you create! ) and place it to some where.

17. flash the recovery by typing the following command "fastboot flash recovery recover_signed.img"

18. relock the phone

19. boot up the phone and try OTA

18. if the OTA download finish but fail to reboot to recovery update automatically, just manually boot to recovery and the update will be ok.

If you can return stock with this method, please reply and list the version here. And you can give me a "thanks"
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ReadMe_Eng.pdf - [Click for QR Code] (71.6 KB, 2698 views)
The Following 59 Users Say Thank You to hokoonho For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift hokoonho Ad-Free
30th October 2012, 09:40 PM |#2  
Flag Bucharest
Thanks Meter: 30

More
I wonder, if you put in the "rom.zip" the "hboot_0.95.0000.img" from an older RUU will you be able to downgrade the 1.28 hboot also?
30th October 2012, 09:50 PM |#3  
There's NO way to downgrade hboot unless you have s-off.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium
30th October 2012, 09:57 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 360

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionut.micu

I wonder, if you put in the "rom.zip" the "hboot_0.95.0000.img" from an older RUU will you be able to downgrade the 1.28 hboot also?

They are somebody on chinese forum who use this method claimed he was able to do hboot downgrade through this method, but no one seem suceed so for.

Well, technically this method able to get you spoof ROM version because it check on your PC. While for hboot it validate the signature and version on the phone before upgrading itself. You can see the process if you push the firmware yourself via fastboot.
30th October 2012, 10:21 PM |#5  
Flag Bucharest

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by HebeGuess

They are somebody on chinese forum who use this method claimed he was able to do hboot downgrade through this method, but no one seem suceed so for.

Well, technically this method able to get you spoof ROM version because it check on your PC. While for hboot it validate the signature and version on the phone before upgrading itself. You can see the process if you push the firmware yourself via fastboot.

What if we hex edit the 0.95.0000 before we put it into the rom.zip to make it think that it's a newer version, will that brake the signature?
Sorry but I don't have the guts to try it myself
30th October 2012, 11:08 PM |#6  
Flag romania iasi
Thanks Meter: 4

More
a good link
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokoonho

Who should read this post?
You have updated your One X to a newer version via OTA, then you want to restore the software/ return stock but the latest RUU is not available.
You have some basic skills to flash things using "fastboot"
Those who want to back to stock and wait for the JB OTA.

The concept behind.
1. Fool the RUU to make it believe that it is flashing the latest ROM, but actually, we are flashing an older version.
2. after that, boot up the phone with older version of software, then OTA and update the phone to latest software.

How to do that?

0. backup all your stuff including those in SD, all your stuff in your phone will be lost.

1. You have to download a "custom RUU" that can be found here (you can also found a rom that for One X for HK only).
http://pan.baidu.com/share/link?shar...&uk=1042525484
If your phone is from other region, you may want to find the rom or RUU here http://www.htcruu.com

2. Download the ROM file, it should be in zip format. (You can also extract the rom file by running a RUU, just run the RUU, don't click anything and search the computer for "rom.zip") (In my case, I have an older version 1.29.708.15 rom extracted from RUU)

3. unzip the customRUU.zip to a folder, e.g. "customRUU"

4. unzip and extract "android-info.txt", "boot_signed.img" and "system.img" to a folder

5. open android-info.txt with "notepad" (notepad++ is highly recommended)

6. edit the value of"cidnum" to match your phone, e.g. ("HTC__622" for HK, "HTC__621" for Taiwan)

7. edit the value of "mainver" to the current software version your phone. e.g (I have OTA my phone to 2.17.708.7, but now I want to fool the RUU with this old rom with a version number of 1.29.708.15, so I change the value to 2.17.708.7 )

8. save the file.

9. zip "android-info.txt", "boot_signed.img" and "system.img" and rename the zip to "rom.zip". (remember only zip the files, not the whole folder!)

10. place the "rom.zip" you just created to the "customRUU" folder

11. make sure your phone is still "unlock"

12. run the file "ARUWizard.exe" inside the folder "customRUU"

13. follow the on screen instruction,

14. your phone should reboot and boot with and old version of software.

15. restart the phone and go to fastboot mode.

16. extract the "recovery_signed.img" from your old "rom.zip" (not the rom.zip you create! ) and place it to some where.

17. flash the recovery by typing the following command "fastboot flash recovery recover_signed.img"

18. relock the phone

19. boot up the phone and try OTA

18. if the OTA download finish but fail to reboot to recovery update automatically, just manually boot to recovery and the update will be ok.

link to custom ruu its dead. any alternative?
31st October 2012, 12:04 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionut.micu

No, if you include the old hboot, the process will be fail.

31st October 2012, 12:09 AM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by darckreign1984

link to custom ruu its dead. any alternative?

link updated, enjoy

31st October 2012, 12:55 AM |#9  
Flag 47000 places at once.
Thanks Meter: 270

More
or you could just cook yourself a flashable zip from the rom.zip. Then fastboot flash rec and boot. Chances are ics wont boot on the newer hboots. Still the ota can be flashed as update.zip maybe.
31st October 2012, 05:43 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 94

More
usefull for some case
bookmarked
31st October 2012, 06:59 AM |#11  
Flag Muscat, Oman

More
BRILLIANT! Absolutely brilliant! Thanks a million hokoonho. This method worked like a treat on my HK_621 HOX which was running ARHD 9.7.2
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
return stock

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)