FORUMS

[Q] Problems connecting to wifi network: looping "obtaining IP address"

256 posts
Thanks Meter: 9

By bobbyelliott, Senior Member on 31st October 2012, 11:29 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
There appears to be a problem with new versions of Android and old routers. Many people have reported the "obtaining IP address" loop problem.

Let me explain. I use the leisure facilities in a local hotel. It has a public (open) wifi network. I believe it uses an old router. My Galaxy S2 (Gingerbread) and AsusTransformer (ICS) both connected to this network without problems. I recently replaced the S2 with an S3 (ICS) and my Transformer with a Nexus 7 (Jellybean). Neither of my new devices connect to this network. I have had the same problem in a local cafe.

I have researched this problem. It is not uncommon. It appears to be caused by an odd mix of hardware (router and wifi chipset) and software (later versions of Android). If you are unlucky (like me and some others) you will be unable to connect to some networks.

The solution is to use static IP addressing (since your device is unable to obtain a dynamic IP address). This will allow your device to connect to the network -- but you need to know the correct settings (for static IP addressing) before you can actually use the network.

This problem has been reported by many people. Does anyone know if there is a fix or a workaround?

The only one I can think of it to get hold of a device that does connect to this network and copy the (static IP) settings. But this would only solve it for one location meaning that I will run into it again the next time I try to connect to a network with old hardware.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobbyelliott For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bobbyelliott Ad-Free
31st October 2012, 04:18 PM |#2  
Flag Edmonton
Thanks Meter: 108

More
Sometimes when I get that problem it's due to IP address conflicts on the Windows 7 computers.
I go to the computer and:
http://helpdeskgeek.com/networking/r...an-ip-address/

Otherwise I just pull the router out and refresh it, should work for another few weeks or so.
The Following User Says Thank You to Asovse1 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Asovse1 Ad-Free
31st October 2012, 04:28 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Glasgow

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asovse1

Sometimes when I get that problem it's due to IP address conflicts on the Windows 7 computers.
I go to the computer and:
http://helpdeskgeek.com/networking/r...an-ip-address/

Otherwise I just pull the router out and refresh it, should work for another few weeks or so.

I don't have access to the PC. It is owned by the hotel. I need a solution that I can apply client (Nexus) side.
1st November 2012, 02:07 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Glasgow

More
Solution
I found a solution. I asked the guy to reset the router and both my Nexus and S3 immediately connected. Someone advised me to do this. I have no idea why it worked. Not really a solution since i cant go round cafes asking people to reset their routers for me.

Is there a way to find out IP, DNS, gateway etc values on Nexus when they are dynamically assigned?
1st November 2012, 02:27 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 112

More
I sometimes have this Problem when starting my accesspoint after enabeling wifi on my N7.
I have to reboot my N7 in that case to get an IP.
1st November 2012, 02:37 PM |#6  
Flag Istanbul
Thanks Meter: 258

More
Happened to me quite a few times when I went out with it to a restaurant or something. It just loops and loops.
3rd November 2012, 04:21 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag Glasgow

More
My Nexus (and S3) now connect to the hotel network every time now. So it looks like you only need to ask the owned to reset his router once.
25th December 2012, 05:54 AM |#8  
Flag Dhaka
Thanks Meter: 217

More
Embraced with this problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyelliott

My Nexus (and S3) now connect to the hotel network every time now. So it looks like you only need to ask the owned to reset his router once.

Resetting the modem solves the problem if you don't make any change to the router settings. I don't understand why the hell google is not solving the problem yet...
many users are found to face the same problem..
eve I can connect with my Nokia E72 but not with my N7...
I can get the IP from my cell phone. But come on, what's the point of doing so?? Are you gonna assign the IP for each and every WiFi you connect?? Or if the IP changes everyday??
26th December 2012, 11:06 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Static ip won't help, yes you can connect to wifi, but cannot get connection to internet. This is a bug of android, and ITs in Princeton univ. had some investigation. 412 should have fixed it

Sent from my HTC Z710e using xda premium
30th December 2012, 12:33 PM |#10  
Flag Reston, VA
Thanks Meter: 6,524

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcd0318

Static ip won't help, yes you can connect to wifi, but cannot get connection to internet. This is a bug of android, and ITs in Princeton univ. had some investigation. 412 should have fixed it

Sent from my HTC Z710e using xda premium

no. The same problem with 4.2.1 on my N7. God,this is really pissing me off !

EDIT: Finally found a solution . Thank god!!
5th January 2013, 12:26 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkDefender

no. The same problem with 4.2.1 on my N7. God,this is really pissing me off !

EDIT: Finally found a solution . Thank god!!

What was the solution?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
obtaining ip, wifi

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)