[OFFICIAL]][JB:CM10:HYBRD] PARANOIDANDROID general thread!

Search This thread

WoH

Dec 6, 2011
Muinch
woh-roms.weebly.com
paheader0hsmo.png

This is the official thread for ParanoidAndroid users. Feel free to talk about anything related to the ROM!

I'll answer questions about feature here to keep the dev thread as clean as possible.
Feel free to suggest things, ask about features, I hope I can help you.
I'll also try to make the rom better for everyone, so I might need opinions on some topics.

Is m2sd good for you? If no, why?
I know there are some users out there that don't like m2sd, please send me your opinion. I always recommended it, but as I got a lot of things sorted out, chances are I could include m2sd or another a2sd script.

Should I include a file explorer?
CM recently introduced a new file explorer, but I miss a lot of features (but it looks nice :D))
I think SolidExplorer is the best file manager, do you have a preference?

Android 4.2 apps?
I actually didn't want to modify too much, but the new clock does really look nice and I really like the new keyboard.
I prefer installing it afterwards, you too?

asdfgj69g

Aug 5, 2010
CM recently introduced a new file explorer, but I miss a lot of features (but it looks nice :D))

Personally I like Ghostcommander with the samba plugin best. But file explorers are easy to obtain in the Play store. As soon as a one has Play store access after flashing the ROM, one can choose whatever one wants. Aside from that, including it means less space available for app data in /data (when a Hboot is available which has a bigger /data partition).
So my opinion is not to include file explorers.

topgeardave

Aug 5, 2011
Solid explorer is going to expire soon. I've always been an ES File Explorer fan due to the fact it is free.

And I agree with WOH. M2SD is the best script due to it's stability and customisabilitity. Also whilst upgrading the ROM whilst using M2SD I don't have to wipe and re download my apps as only data is on the internal partition with Jelly Hboot from roalex and dalvik + apps are on SD ext. I've been on PA for two week now and I'm yet to encounter a problem due to the way my sd ext is setup.

Sent from my HTC Desire using xda app-developers app

siavash2death

Apr 16, 2011
I think the miui file explorer is also a good file manager. And a question: in pacman rom, how can i disable the default toggles and use aokp toggle instead? Last version i have is v15 and if i remember correctly,when i disabled the default toggles from system in settings, it disappeared but the space of that remained at top of the notification bar! Like an empty space there. And another question: is it possible to flash and use another kernel for your rom? And for the final thing, ac!d sound engine v1 works great with your rom.but latest version(v4) it got stuck at screen splash and doesn't work. I thought that if you work on that, maybe it work and we had a great rom with a great sound and enjoy the music. And I'm sorry for my bad english.it's not my primary language.:thumbup:

Sent from my HTC Desire using xda premium

Androidmarketuser

Oct 21, 2010

Android 4.2 apps?
I actually didn't want to modify too much, but the new clock does really look nice and I really like the new keyboard.

Please include a file explorer. Sometimes it is really helpful,if you aren't at home and don't have mobile data it is really annoying not having a file explorer.
I backed up important apps for using them if I haven't got a connection to the internet, but it is worthless if I don't have a file explorer preinstalled.
I would prefer CMFilexplorer, worked for me pretty well, for additional features (like SMB or FTP) you can install other FileExplorer.
I would have a go for ES and Solid too, but ES doesn't look that good and with Solid I had some issues with replacing many files in root directory.

And I would appreiate 4.2 apps since they don't make any trouble. Especially the clock widget of 4.1 is horrible. Swyping keyboard isn't bad too ;)

Alunduyn

Mar 23, 2012
For me, the answer is absolutely yes. There should be a File Manager included in any ROM, a basic one to do changes just after the Flash. Many includes OI File Manager. CM's is very nice and very light, putting it by default in the ROM would be great and maybe while flashing GApps you can choose to have Solid Explorer and remove CM File Manager. Still a File Manager in system/app is still a safeboat. If something goes wrong with data partition or sd-ext, where you have Solid Explorer, you can always open CM's ( which is in system/app so always there. If the problem is in system/ having or not a file manager won't help :) ) and search for the wrong file in the partition, maybe choose the files you want to save and move them. Or if Solid Explorer fails you can always open CM's and reinstall it without a connection. So a light file manager is very important in my opinion, and CM's combines lightness and features in a well-designed piece of software.

And another thing just too non-dev to be posted in dev section : the launcher is quite laggy ( Stock, Nova and 4.2 ). I can use apps like Launcher7 to gain smoothness but I lose all the beaties of Android : the widges. Have anyone found anything nice, android-looking ( so similar to Trebuchet, Nova, Apex and all those launchers ) and smooth? The "problem" could be with wallpaper ( I don't use any with Launcher7 ), but an Android Launcher without wallpaper is quite ugly... Thanks in advance people.

zakkkkk

Nov 11, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I'm currently on cm7 hboot and i want to try this rom out. I'm willing to flash the stock hboot question is if i dont like the ROM and if i do a nandroid restore, will my hboot change back to cm7 or stay on stock?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

WoH

Dec 6, 2011
Muinch
woh-roms.weebly.com
Didn't know Solid Explorer wouldn't be free in the future, maybe I'll use cm file manager, but i couldn't figure out how to access the root folder :/

I don't think i should work on this audio engine, maybe ask the creator ;)

And yes, of course you can flash new kernels, but which one would you like to flash?

Nova launcher feels smoother in 2.53, no worries ;)

If you flash stock hboot, the nandroid won't change that, but I doubt you would want to return :D

Last edited:

jdstrydom

Jan 14, 2009
Mossel Bay
Samsung Galaxy S21 FE
And another thing just too non-dev to be posted in dev section : the launcher is quite laggy ( Stock, Nova and 4.2 ). I can use apps like Launcher7 to gain smoothness but I lose all the beaties of Android : the widges. Have anyone found anything nice, android-looking ( so similar to Trebuchet, Nova, Apex and all those launchers ) and smooth? The "problem" could be with wallpaper ( I don't use any with Launcher7 ), but an Android Launcher without wallpaper is quite ugly... Thanks in advance people.

What did you think of holo launcher? Not the HD one though.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

WoH

Dec 6, 2011
Muinch
woh-roms.weebly.com
First public beta of my new Gapps approach! FULL GAPPS ON STOCK AND JELLYBEAN HBOOT!

More information on the page, please feel free to test!

http://tinyurl.com/fullgapps said:
The new approach: Similar to the idea of apps2sd scripts, I enhanced the popular m2sd script (thanks to dk_zero-cool) by a few new great features, now not only apps, dalvik-cache or data will be moved to your sd-ext partition, the full Gapps package will be aswell. You won't have to configuire it, it will automatically work if you flash the gapps package, if you don't, no worries, it will not move anything else.

The benefits: First of all, you will be able to install the whole gapps package, no half gapps any more, full Google experience. There will be no slow downs because the data sill remains on the nand (unless you change it in m2sd). Last but not least, you will never have to reflash the gapps package (exception: If you do a full-wipe or format sd-ext, the gapps obviously will be wiped aswell.

Link

tosonny

Jan 27, 2011
Concerning "Afterwards, go to goo.im/gapps and download the latest gapps installer. Replace the META-INF folder by the new one below."

So I download the gaaps and unzip the file.
The same with your file.
I change the META-INF folder in gaaps and zip the file again ...and install it on the phone

Is this right?

WoH

Dec 6, 2011
Muinch
woh-roms.weebly.com
Concerning "Afterwards, go to goo.im/gapps and download the latest gapps installer. Replace the META-INF folder by the new one below."

So I download the gaaps and unzip the file.
The same with your file.
I change the META-INF folder in gaaps and zip the file again ...and install it on the phone

Is this right?

Just open both zips and drag the new META-INF and drop it in the gapps.zip, check the pic below (Yes, I'm a pro when it comes to photoshop :D)

http://goo.gl/1IXFp

tosonny

Jan 27, 2011
Just open both zips and drag the new META-INF and drop it in the gapps.zip, check the pic below (Yes, I'm a pro when it comes to photoshop :D)

http://goo.gl/1IXFp

Does not work. "Installation aborted" when I install gapps. Will download gapps again (is really slow right now) and try it again.

Edit: Tried again. Does NOT work. "Installation aborted" again. Can´t open zip-File (bad)

Last edited:

hello247

Jan 26, 2011
works fine for me on pa v2.52. try re download orginal gapps package again before replace META-INF folder.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    paheader0hsmo.png

This is the official thread for ParanoidAndroid users. Feel free to talk about anything related to the ROM!

I'll answer questions about feature here to keep the dev thread as clean as possible.
    Feel free to suggest things, ask about features, I hope I can help you.
    I'll also try to make the rom better for everyone, so I might need opinions on some topics.

Is m2sd good for you? If no, why?
    I know there are some users out there that don't like m2sd, please send me your opinion. I always recommended it, but as I got a lot of things sorted out, chances are I could include m2sd or another a2sd script.

Android 4.2 apps?
    Paranoid Android 2.99+1 released ( it has been some time if I'm not wrong ). Android 4.2 and AOSP.

What are you going to do, WoH? Will you support only last CM10HYBRID build ( 2.54 ) with newer CM10 sources or will you work also on the new Paranoid AOSP or only PA3? Or maybe a Paranoid 3 + CM10 will be possible? I'm really curious about your choices, and if you'd like to share them, it would be interesting.

I'm also curious about the layouts of Android 4.2 : tablet has been removed if I'm right, and the phablet mode will be tablet from now on. I haven't heard so much from PA recently, but what have they said about this? Are they willing to change something?

PA 2.99 is
    a) Not open source
    b) Based on 4.2
    c) Based on AOSP
    d) A very very early test build

Now explanations:
    a) I don't know why it's not os, but I dislike their current attitude aswell (You're not allowed to include paprefs.apk into PACman for example)
    b) Android 4.2 is the worst thing google had on their servers so far, sorry, but that's a fact, apart from "little bugs" it's unstable and laggy, even on galaxy nexus, the improvements are little, the plus on the end-user side is minimal aswell (links to settings aka quicksettings & a (opinion: crappy) new lockscreen)
    c) As you might know our device isn't in AOSP, do the basic hardware won't work. I could use CM / EV repos, but that might be quite buggy, I haven't tested it, but it will need a lot of work if it's a good idea at all
    d) That's quite obvious

I'm working on CM10.1 because I think Google will fix a lot of issues in 4.2.1, they've got (more or less buildable, actually more fixable) sources on their github, we'll see about PA as soon as they publish 2.99/3.0+
    Evervolv is working on hardware repos, thanks a lot to drewis aka texasice, he's doing a great job.
    The only thing that still stops me from using this rom are the soft reboots everytime I get a text message and hit quick reply, really anoying. Anyone else experiencing this? Besides that, both PAC and PA are great, love the tablet mode, most of all!

If that stops you, I'm sorry, but I'm working (theoretically) on Android 4.2.
    In fact you can just open te whole message, works fine.

Android 4.2 changes a lot of things you might not be aware of, I really am lost on the display and audio at the moment.
    I could hack around audio for now (to get a first build), but there are massive problems with hwcomposer.
    I won't dig into it too much, but hwc is a new feature of 4.0+. Until now, hwc was 0.x, but for 4.2 it's 1.x and it seems to require proper vsync.
    Some of you think "that's great, finally butter" I can already tell it won't happen unless anyone wants to rewrite the whole kernel (or parts of it) and test if the hardware can handle it at all.
    We'll see what happens, to be honest we'll have to wait for drewis, maybe they descide to bring up 0.x and see if it works (I hope so, I think it's the fastest solution, otherwise we're in trouble)
    So it's like:
    - New Kernel
    - Luck (for the 0.x hwc hack
    - Magic (maybe CM devs or EV guys have a brilliant idea)
    or my favourite idea:
    - No 4.2

Sorry guys, I might just have evoked all the GB waaahs so kuhl and everything ehls is craaahp guys that call me an incapable idiot, but I don't know any further.
    By the way, this is how drewis himself puts it.
    I have a question about system setup process at first start after flash rom.
    Google account restore point is placed before wifi setup point. It's not the best way for me (it generates costs of data transmission).
    But i remember, in one of previous version, the order of these setup points was inverted, account restore was placed after wifi configuration.
    Is it possible to change the order? What it depends on?

Don't set it up on boot, add it later in the settings. If data is enabled on first boot, Google assumes you've got a data plan

Where can I enable a hot-reboot option if there is such an option?

I'm using ROM toolbox pro, but there are free apps aswell. I saw an overlay in EV sources that includes it into the power menu, maybe I'll include that some time.

Yep, other languages are not yet avaiable, but I can't get even English offline. I change the keyboard Language to "English" just before pressing the mic key and still it needs network. Is there any way I can get that keeping traces of Italian on my phone or I'll have to select "English" for every option in order to get offline dictation? Thanks for your quick answer.

Works for me on v0.3

Just wandering if im still s-on what will happen if I try this ROM

Sent from my HTC Desire using xda premium

Nuclear war. Without S-OFF you can't flash a modified kernel 4 example.

Thanks! I will try.

2 all:
    There is common bug about dark screen (screen is off) when screen lock and incoming call?

And some issues with shortcuts on the lock screen - some apps uses wrong shortcut. As example I take quickpic but system setup gallery.

P.s As I understand from dev topic bug with gps fixed?

E=mc^2
    HTC Desire@XDA

GPS fixed, can you share some details about your setup, your bugs are very uncommon.

In additional, when making sound louder in MX Player, app is crashing and go back to menu of MX Player

E=mc^2
    HTC Desire@XDA

I'm using MX a lot, never happens, I've already mentioned this, provide a freaking logcat.

Why continually closes google +, when I see the pictures?

I don't know, maybe it's a sign of god for you to stop g+, but more likely it's a simple crash of the app that can be sorted out by reinstalling or logging the issui if it persists.