FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Nabi 2 vold.fstab

494 posts
Thanks Meter: 155

By ALD3, Senior Member on 6th November 2012, 05:59 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have been tryying to get the Nabi 2 to mount micro sd card/sdcard2 as internal storage/sdcard. I have altered the vold file on AN7G3 Arnova 7" tablet so as to have 32 gig internal instead of 4 gig, works really well. Also know many have done this for other devices and works on GB 3.2 and ICS 4.03. Nabi2 has ICS 4.0.3 but can not get them to switch. when i change sdcard and sdcard2 and reboot, device can not reconize micro sdcard/sdcard2 and openning settings/storage on the device cause the storage to force close. ES File Exployer does not reconize sdcard2. Is there a way to achieve this with the vold file or does this have to be done thru adb. If adb could someone help me with the commands. This device IS rooted and Google Play installed. I will include a copy of the vold.fstab as a vold.txt. TIA as several folks need this info and i will relay your info or you can on the Nabi 2 thread.
Attached Files
File Type: txt vold.txt - [Click for QR Code] (633 Bytes, 606 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to ALD3 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ALD3 Ad-Free

7th November 2012, 12:19 AM |#2  
Flag Birmingham
Thanks Meter: 75

Donate to Me
More
i don`t see the internal storage defined in the vold.fstab
can you put the output from mount ?
7th November 2012, 12:57 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Flag OC, Florida

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by globula_neagra

i don`t see the internal storage defined in the vold.fstab
can you put the output from mount ?

Not really sure what you want. The internal storage is named sdcard and micro sdcard is named sdcard2. In settings/storage they are listed as internal storage and sdcard. Es File explorer sees them as sdcard and sdcard2. If I know what you need, I will get it for you.Need
7th November 2012, 01:21 AM |#4  
Flag Birmingham

Donate to Me
More
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard2 auto /devices/platform/sdhci-tegra.0/mmc_host/mmc2 (this is the external sd card)

dev_mount usbdrive /mnt/usbdrive auto /devices/platform/tegra-ehci.0/usb2 (this is the host where you can connect a mouse, etc.)

this what apears in your vold.fstab

so, the line for the internal storage is missing

on my tablet it looks like this

dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard 20 /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host (internal storage)
dev_mount sdcard1 /mnt/external_sd auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.4/mmc_host (external sd)
dev_mount udisk /mnt/udisk auto /devices/platform/msm_hsusb_host.0/usb1 (host for mouse, keyboards, etc)

This is the "mount" in adb shell

C:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
sh-3.2# su
su
sh-3.2# mount
mount
rootfs / rootfs ro,relatime 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,nosuid,relatime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,relatime,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,relatime 0 0
none /acct cgroup rw,relatime,cpuacct 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/obb tmpfs rw,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,relatime,cpu 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p12 /system ext4 ro,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered
0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p13 /data ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,d
ata=ordered,noauto_da_alloc 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p14 /persist ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=
1,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p15 /cache ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,
data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/mmcblk0p17 /content ext4 rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=
1,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:97 /mnt/external_sd vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,rela
time,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow _utime=0020,codepage=cp437,ioc
harset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:20 /mnt/sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,
uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow_utim e=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharse
t=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/block/vold/179:20 /mnt/secure/asec vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,rela
time,uid=1000,gid=1015,fmask=0702,dmask=0702,allow _utime=0020,codepage=cp437,ioc
harset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure tmpfs ro,relatime,size=0k,mode=000 0 0
sh-3.2#
7th November 2012, 02:12 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Flag OC, Florida

More
I agree, this vold is different from what I have delt with in my limited experience. Here is a screen shot of mount on terminal emulator. Does this give you the info that you requested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-11-06-21-00-55-1.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	1462919  
7th November 2012, 01:39 PM |#6  
Flag Birmingham

Donate to Me
More
well, in the mount the internal storage it appears, is strange that it does not appear in the vold.fstab
i think the internal storage is triggered by the boot.img, or a .rc from the /etc

you could have a look on a nexus tablet, or acer iconia110 to see how is defined there the internal storage in vold.fstab. (since all are having tegra 3, you should have a corect image)
7th November 2012, 01:46 PM |#7  
OP Senior Member
Flag OC, Florida

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by globula_neagra

well, in the mount the internal storage it appears, is strange that it does not appear in the vold.fstab
i think the internal storage is triggered by the boot.img, or a .rc from the /etc

you could have a look on a nexus tablet, or acer iconia110 to see how is defined there the internal storage in vold.fstab. (since all are having tegra 3, you should have a corect image)

That's a good thought as Nabi2 is very close to the nexus 7 . Will try and run those down. Thanks
8th November 2012, 12:14 AM |#8  
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 13

More
I have just spent the last 2 hours attempting to mod the Vold file in like 4-5 different ways and nothing worked I took the moded Vold file off my LG Esteem Smart phone which has a moded Vold file that makes my extsdcard the Internal Memory and studied it to find there is only like 2 sets of 2 words and numbers that are switched from one line of code to another and THATS IT!! The rest of the code is letter for letter number for number the same!... So I tried applying the same technique to my Nabi 2's Vold file and no matter what it just makes the extsdcard (sdcard2) appear not there anymore and has the following message in the storage status tab.. "Insert an SD card for mounting" Someone's gotta tackle this!!
8th November 2012, 01:22 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member
Flag OC, Florida

More
It was suggested that I/we as clarkiss run an su file with script manager and alter the vold. We did this and still force close when openning settings/storage. Used original vold and ran script, when opened settings/storage, I see my micro sdcard listed as internal storage and sdcard2. Es File explorer sees micro sdcard as sdcard and sdcard2, nothing sees the internal storage but any programs or games still install to the unseen internal storage.

Anyone have any idea on this? I have included the sdcard_switch.su that we ran with script manager, in hope that with the vold posted above someone might have an idea to help us. There are quite a few folks looking for this and will be more as they by these for christmas.
Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: txt sdcard_switch.sh.txt - [Click for QR Code] (258 Bytes, 187 views)
8th November 2012, 02:32 AM |#10  
Flag Philadelphia
Thanks Meter: 13

More
Question
I figured I would post the original Vold.fstab to see if anyone has any ideas or suggestions... If you need me to post anymore files let me know and I will quickly get posted!! The below code is the entire contents of the Vold.fstab... I also have included a link to download (Hosted by my Box account) the Vold.fstab file at the bottom of this post after the code as well incase anyone wanted to help us play with it Help with this on any level is more then welcome!!

Contents of Vold.fstab file (Code)

## Vold 2.0 fstab for kai

#######################
## Regular device mount
##
## Format: dev_mount <label> <mount_point> <part> <sysfs_path1...>
## label - Label for the volume
## mount_point - Where the volume will be mounted
## part - Partition # (1 based), or 'auto' for first usable partition.
## <sysfs_path> - List of sysfs paths to source devices
######################

# Mounts the first usable partition of the specified device
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard2 auto /devices/platform/sdhci-tegra.0/mmc_host/mmc2
dev_mount usbdrive /mnt/usbdrive auto /devices/platform/tegra-ehci.0/usb2

https://www.box.com/s/2az7hod00g9fbenn3j14
8th November 2012, 02:39 AM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag OC, Florida

More
If anyone has a vold.fstab from a nexus tablet, or acer iconia110 tablet that they could share. I would like to see them to compare with the nabi 2.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)