FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] UMi X1 review and request for custom Rom

139 posts
Thanks Meter: 14

By raz5652, Senior Member on 7th November 2012, 10:02 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have bought a UMi X1 from china, am in UK and using giffgaff sim... being playing with the phone since yesterday .. managed to get the internet working by putting giffgaff APN manually, tried to install custom ROM, but all in Chinese, even after you change the language there are still things left in Chinese, so i went back and installed the original ROM phone had. changed the language... phone is quite good, i like the screen and speed is very good as well.

managed to install other apps like Google map, chrome, Skype, and some game.. all work good, but when ever i install them some Chinese permission thing comes up, which i don't understand, but i think i keep clicking green tick and it works

I managed to root it using "http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1886460" tried super user and it works (not sure what benefit i get from rooting, sorry am a noob)

I followed instruction for custom roms from "http://www.gizchina.com/2012/10/28/download-install-umi-x1-custom-rom/", still all Chinese.

if any one have a question regarding this phone usage or any other information they required am willing to answer from my experience of this phone.

I would like to know if any one would be willing to develop a clean miui English ROM or jelly bean for this device? or any one willing to help me to develop a ROM ( would need alot of help as i don't know single thing about developing, but keen to learn).
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to raz5652 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift raz5652 Ad-Free

7th November 2012, 12:06 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Hi !
Sorry to not answer to your request but i have one question about this phone that i want to buy. The camera is good? In reality it's a 5MP no? Because it's hard to find review about this phone, i know that is a good phone but nothing about the camera. Sorry for my bad english and thanks
7th November 2012, 12:33 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Cool UMI X1 roms
I'm also looking for information to root . But also need a rom . Have you got Clockword mod recovery installed ? Please can some one help us to install CWM recovery to UMI X1. Can we use any other rom developed for other MTK6577 phones as this phone also has MK6577 processor.
Any one interested can look one of first article on this topic in English here . Search gizbeat custom rom in google

For a review and video of phone see following: search in google: exclusive-umi-x1-unboxing-and-hands-on

Official web site: use google to translate : shuame dot com
7th November 2012, 12:39 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by arndab

Hi !
Sorry to not answer to your request but i have one question about this phone that i want to buy. The camera is good? In reality it's a 5MP no? Because it's hard to find review about this phone, i know that is a good phone but nothing about the camera. Sorry for my bad english and thanks

camera is 8 mp, so yea its good. reason u cant find a review is cause the phone only just been released, 26th oct it was
The Following User Says Thank You to raz5652 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift raz5652 Ad-Free
7th November 2012, 12:42 PM |#5  

More
Okay thank you for your help
The Following User Says Thank You to arndab For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift arndab Ad-Free
7th November 2012, 12:59 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by munib

I'm also looking for information to root . But also need a rom . Have you got Clockword mod recovery installed ? Please can some one help us to install CWM recovery to UMI X1. Can we use any other rom developed for other MTK6577 phones as this phone also has MK6577 processor.
Any one interested can look one of first article on this topic in English here . Search gizbeat custom rom in google

For a review and video of phone see following: search in google: exclusive-umi-x1-unboxing-and-hands-on

Official web site: use google to translate : shuame dot com

yea, i have done so much to my phone in 1 day, i used shuame tool to install custom roms but kept getting errors, so i installed it manually by going into recovery mod. i installed CWM through google play, but dont know much how to use it, by the looks of it, it not supported with this phone yet. i am on gizchina aswell and asked same question there aswell.
The Following User Says Thank You to raz5652 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift raz5652 Ad-Free
8th November 2012, 02:19 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Unhappy
looks like no one is intrested....
8th November 2012, 01:27 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
how to get some one attention on this?
8th November 2012, 03:50 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 41

More
finally there's a thread about umi (youmi) x1 on xda-dev

i haven't received my phone yet, 7 days using EMS and still in BEIJING seller said because China held presidential election ? so security tighten

use at your own risk : (link with google translate)

ROOT
http://translate.google.com/translat...-09-52-52.html

RECOVERY:
http://translate.googleusercontent.c...nTRy1eHnFtJpJg

there's also rom link on shuame.com but i don't know wether it's also had english language or not , there's also a custom rom for x1 at lewaos.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to androidnyubi For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift androidnyubi Ad-Free
8th November 2012, 05:37 PM |#10  

More
Unhappy
I have received my Umi x1,love it but having real trouble flashing the Umi rom,still cant give up.Hoping others will buy phone with more intelligence than me and post,fingers crossed.
The Following User Says Thank You to pridz For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift pridz Ad-Free
9th November 2012, 08:28 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
I used this method to ROOT:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1886460

I tried about all the ROMs from Shaume.com
Without keeping track of procedure.. did a lot of flashing and factory reset
I don't know any chinese, so i just pressed buttons with icons I thought would do the job (with the risk of doing something wrong and brick the phone)
There are a few mods wit CWM, so once that one is installed flashing is pretty straightforward.

I'm having trouble to get a GPS fix (the Netherlands).
After trying many different gps.conf files (/etc/gps.conf) and different apps (GPS Status, GPS Test, GPSFix), Manually download EPO files..
Result: 1 time GPS fix with GPS fix.. but thats it

Anyone a bit more luck with the GPS fix?

Something that might be handy:
Boot into recovery: turn off phone first -> hold volume up and then power on phone. release both when UMI logo shows.
Engeneer Mode: "call" *#*#3646633#*#*
Mobileuncle MTK Tools https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...euncle.toolbox
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)