[Q] Unknown Baseband, No Signal, No IMEI - Help!!!

Search This thread
G

Guestk0024

Hey all,

So I've ran into a snag on my XT910 over the past few days.

Randomly, the device just dropped signal one evening and it never recovered it. Having troubleshooted with my network (O2 UK) and trying other SIM cards in the device, I have narrowed it down to the "Unknown baseband" or "No IMEI" symptoms found on these forums.. The device downright refuses to read (or even acknowledge the existance of) any SIM cards at all. It doesn't prompt for one to be inserted; it just says "No Service" where my network name should be, with an antenna and red "x" where the signal bars should be. Trying a working micro SIM from my girlfriends phone yields the same result. It doesn't even know it is in there.. In "About phone" it says Unknown baseband and dialing *#06# from my device gives a blank IMEI. Adding/viewing contacts on the SIM returns an error. I went so far as to get a brand new SIM from my network - still no dice.

The device is less than a month old and still under Moto warranty. However, the company I bought it from have neglected to provide a VAT receipt and I'm having trouble getting it off them. Moto have agreed to repair/replace the phone, but on the condition I have this receipt and send a copy of it to them. I really need this phone working, as it's the lifeline to my work, so I am willing to try reflashing/rooting the device ROM or radio as need be.

After some reading I have followed QPST guides to re-input the IMEI on my device, however it still exists and is correct. I have hard reset the phone, booted into recovery and wiped cache/data but no change.. I am considering the method of re-flashing the official OTA update for ICS, as I've read many users have this issue after upgrading, here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1849744 - that is the correct ROM for my phone, but as I am already on that ROM I do not know whether flashing it on top will break things - ultimately brick it?

The device was (and still is) on 672.180.41.XT910.Retail.en.EU. I have not flashed any custom ROMs or rooted it. I have made no software or firmware changes to the device.

Please can someone help?! I do not mind getting my hands dirty and even voiding the Moto warranty if it fixes it (I would also be prepared to root it) but I am at a loss here - all pointers go to hardware fault and if that is indeed what it is, I would prefer somebody back up my assumption so I can send it to Moto knowing there was nothing I can do, rather than being a simple ROM flash away from having my device back..

Last edited:
G

Guestk0024

Your phone may be damaged either physically (e.g. broken contacts SIM card slot) or software-wise (e.g. damaged PDS partition).

I'd go for a reflash, though - at least when properly executed it won't worsen your phone's condition. First, get full 672.180.41.XT910.Retail.en.EU flash file. Then, flash it using RSD Lite.

Thank you so much for this.

If it doesn't work by reflashing, can I still send it to Motorola under warranty for a hardware fix?

G

Guestk0024

Thank you so much for this.

If it doesn't work by reflashing, can I still send it to Motorola under warranty for a hardware fix?

Hey,

I've just reflashed with RSD and I still get "Unknown baseband version" and no IMEI on the device. I guess it must be a hardware fault somewhere along the line.. :( Thank you regardless - and if you have any further suggestions then please do let me know.

G

Guestk0024

Firstly, thank you to all who replied to or considered my plea.

Secondly, after extensive research and some testing on my part I have found this is a seemingly irresolvable hardware (or very heavily damaged software) problem. Through various threads online I have read about people getting this mostly after they upgrade their Razr to ICS. It doesn't seem to be limited to one specific baseband/regional version of the device, as customers on Verizon in the States have had the same issue I have in the UK with a SIM-free phone.

I have sent the device off to Motorola for repair/replacement. I will report back when I get the device back.

Jorge_Amaya

Nov 26, 2014
Firstly, thank you to all who replied to or considered my plea.

Secondly, after extensive research and some testing on my part I have found this is a seemingly irresolvable hardware (or very heavily damaged software) problem. Through various threads online I have read about people getting this mostly after they upgrade their Razr to ICS. It doesn't seem to be limited to one specific baseband/regional version of the device, as customers on Verizon in the States have had the same issue I have in the UK with a SIM-free phone.

I have sent the device off to Motorola for repair/replacement. I will report back when I get the device back.

si I guess it never returned from tha one trip to the repair service?
...im hvinga similar problem with the xt890 (moto RAZR i)
updated to 4.4.2 kitkat, and it lost its anthena. like forever.
since then, spent nights surfing sesrching for a clue. nothing.
even unlocked the bootloader. it ended with the never endings WARNING BOOTLOADER UNLOCKED thing. sometimes i can bypase it buy antherna is still gone.
there are no replacementes for this device i think.

i want to use it so bad :(

Abdou bboy

Feb 25, 2017
si I guess it never returned from tha one trip to the repair service?
...im hvinga similar problem with the xt890 (moto RAZR i)
updated to 4.4.2 kitkat, and it lost its anthena. like forever.
since then, spent nights surfing sesrching for a clue. nothing.
even unlocked the bootloader. it ended with the never endings WARNING BOOTLOADER UNLOCKED thing. sometimes i can bypase it buy antherna is still gone.
there are no replacementes for this device i think.

i want to use it so bad :(

I have the same problem with xt890