Back cover popping off near volume button..anyone else?

Search This thread

-EViL-KoNCEPTz-

Nov 9, 2011
Tampa Bay area
Had this issue just fixed mine myself a few mins ago. All it took was a little patience and a delicate touch along with a few tools and a bic lighter.

Tools needed: bic lighter, micro flat head screw driver and nylon sprudger.

Method: heat the screw driver up a bit til its hot but still able to touch the heated tip without jerking away. Insert heated screw driver blade under tab and press nylon sprudger against the top of the tab firmly, hold for a minute or two while the screw driver cools, replace cover like normal. If it still has a little give remove cover and use the sprudger to press the NFC contacts on the device itself down a bit slightly bending the flexible part of the contact. They seem to stick up a bit too high putting pressure on the contacts on the cover pushing it out. If you get them too low remove battery and use screwdriver to gently adjust

NOTE: YOU MUST remove battery if you need to use the screwdriver on the contacts to prevent an accidental short.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU ARE A CLUMSY OAF AND DAMAGE YOUR PHONE IN ANYWAY, IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE MESSING WITH IT DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS REPAIR.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

Reactions: sbuxreg

sbuxreg

Jan 21, 2010
Canton, Ohio
Had this issue just fixed mine myself a few mins ago. All it took was a little patience and a delicate touch along with a few tools and a bic lighter.

Tools needed: bic lighter, micro flat head screw driver and nylon sprudger.

Method: heat the screw driver up a bit til its hot but still able to touch the heated tip without jerking away. Insert heated screw driver blade under tab and press nylon sprudger against the top of the tab firmly, hold for a minute or two while the screw driver cools, replace cover like normal. If it still has a little give remove cover and use the sprudger to press the NFC contacts on the device itself down a bit slightly bending the flexible part of the contact. They seem to stick up a bit too high putting pressure on the contacts on the cover pushing it out. If you get them too low remove battery and use screwdriver to gently adjust

NOTE: YOU MUST remove battery if you need to use the screwdriver on the contacts to prevent an accidental short.

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU ARE A CLUMSY OAF AND DAMAGE YOUR PHONE IN ANYWAY, IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE MESSING WITH IT DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS REPAIR.

thanks for the tip! samsung puts out killer phones in terms of hardware but i feel they could come a long way with their build quality.

-EViL-KoNCEPTz-

Nov 9, 2011
Tampa Bay area
thanks for the tip! samsung puts out killer phones in terms of hardware but i feel they could come a long way with their build quality.

My clip in that spot was sticking up and the pressure from the contacts I believe was the culprit. Heating and bending the clip down made it tighter fit and fidgeting with the NFC contacts seems to alleviated the excessive pressure while still retaining good contact. So far I've taken the cover on and off about a dozen times since and it snaps tight every time and I dont have to do anything special to get it latched just push it down til it clicks and its on there

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Problem SOLVED!

Guys...the back cover is very poorly designed. When I picked up my GN2 on release day at the sprint store, the girl handed me the demo model so I could see it. I noticied immediately that the back cover was loose by the volume keys. Pulled it off, saw broken hook immediately. I then insisted that I would put the back cover on myself on mine when they took it out of the box, and I never had that issue again. Unlike the GS3 which I upgraded from, which had snaps all around, this one has snaps, and also tabs on the bottom and a hook by the volume keys, which means if you put it on the same way as an S3, YOU WILL BREAK THE HOOKS/TABS! You can't just push it on. Not the users fault, as Samsung made this both extremely difficult to do, and provided no clear instructions on installation/removal. I use multiple batteries and therefore remove it about once per day, and I've had the phone since release day. Unfortunately, without redesigning the actual phone housing itself, I fear it will be impossible for Samsung to fix this by just redesigning the cover. If yours isn't broken yet, just follow my video on proper installation and removal of the back cover. If yours already broke, grab an in-warranty replacement from Samsung and follow my instructions from now on, otherwise this will keep happening. Below is a link to a quick how-to video I made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPktGCU995M
    Do you have their number? Thanks.
    888.987.HELP

You'll get the UPS return label almost instantly via email after you hang up with support, but for obvious reasons you'll want to wait until you actually get the new cover before shipping the old one back.

PS. If you register your phone/IMEI on samsung.com, they'll also generate a 50% off accessories code and send it to you via email. I used mine to purchase the dock, spare battery system, flip cover, HDMI kit, and car mount. At 50% off, you won't find a better price anywhere else for OEM accessories.
    Neither, I called Samsung directly.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
    the problem is both the way you install it and the way samsung made it (I consider it a design flaw. the trick is installing it PROPERLY to work with this design flaw.

you need to install the top first (there are 2 tabs) then you have to "ROLL" each locking point in with your finger from the sides. pushing IN to "bend" the cover as you roll it in and "down" snapping it into place without damaging the little tabs (I guess the S3 snap style did not "scale up" as well as they hoped works like a dream on the S3)

I will make a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZVOtS4uQM0
    We should sticky Proper Rear Battery Cover Removal Instructions. Most of us found out too late.