FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] T-Mobile/AT&T/GSM on Razr M

40 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By sy0120, Member on 10th November 2012, 10:51 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
P3Droid has successfully gotten the RAZR M to run on AT&T. But my question is this: If I have a 3G ATT sim, will it work? Has P3 released the how to yet? I know i'm being impatient but I really need it because I urgently need to use this on ATT since my 'Backup' phone has just reached the end of life.

Thanks to all Devs involved!
11th November 2012, 12:58 AM |#2  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 170

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sy0120

P3Droid has successfully gotten the RAZR M to run on AT&T. But my question is this: If I have a 3G ATT sim, will it work? Has P3 released the how to yet? I know i'm being impatient but I really need it because I urgently need to use this on ATT since my 'Backup' phone has just reached the end of life.

Thanks to all Devs involved!

TBH you're better off with a Razr I (which is same handset with 3G GSM only, and intel proc - don't worry about benchies, anand has confirmed it runs great w/ actually better battery life than S4).

The Verizon Razr M won't work with AT&T 4G, so Razr I is equivalent basically, + is fully unlockable bootloader, + better battery life, + cheaper, = win
11th November 2012, 01:19 AM |#3  
OP Member

More
[QUOTE=wintermute000;33948189]TBH you're better off with a Razr I (which is same handset with 3G GSM only, and intel proc - don't worry about benchies, anand has confirmed it runs great w/ actually better battery life than S4).

I already bought the developer edition of the razr m and all I need to do is wait for p3droid 2 release instructions.
11th November 2012, 07:02 AM |#4  
Flag Philadelphia, PA
Thanks Meter: 922

More
wintermute000 posted the Aussie radio image in the fast boot thread.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8648738/NON-HLOS.bin

All that is needed is to flash that in fast boot with the following command: fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin

Then insert the SIM and reboot and it should just work. You may need to select GSM/UMTS in Mobile Networks settings. The APN is set automatically by the SIM and the apns-config.XML by default has the necessary APNs included for ATT and T-Mobile.

We intend to post a more complete tutorial but are trying to understand more about how it works and what doesn't work under the AU radio.

P3Droid has VZW 4g data and CDMA1X voice but no 3g data. I have no service at all with VZW SIM because I am in a 3g only area.
It appears to break eHRPD authentication probably because that is not used on Australian networks and is a very problematic part of how VZW's network is deployed.

When we get it figured out a little better we will post more information.

Right now it's pretty straightforward. You use the AU radio for GSM/UMTS service but must flash back to the VZW radio for normal CDMA/LTE/EVDO service.
The Following User Says Thank You to cellzealot For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift cellzealot Ad-Free
11th November 2012, 07:49 AM |#5  
Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 48

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellzealot

wintermute000 posted the Aussie radio image in the fast boot thread.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8648738/NON-HLOS.bin

All that is needed is to flash that in fast boot with the following command: fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin

Then insert the SIM and reboot and it should just work. You may need to select GSM/UMTS in Mobile Networks settings. The APN is set automatically by the SIM and the apns-config.XML by default has the necessary APNs included for ATT and T-Mobile.

We intend to post a more complete tutorial but are trying to understand more about how it works and what doesn't work under the AU radio.

P3Droid has VZW 4g data and CDMA1X voice but no 3g data. I have no service at all with VZW SIM because I am in a 3g only area.
It appears to break eHRPD authentication probably because that is not used on Australian networks and is a very problematic part of how VZW's network is deployed.

When we get it figured out a little better we will post more information.

Right now it's pretty straightforward. You use the AU radio for GSM/UMTS service but must flash back to the VZW radio for normal CDMA/LTE/EVDO service.

This is GREAT! I've been waiting for something like this, and I've been following the progress ... see also my post here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...1973156&page=2 post #13
Just FYI, wintermute000 posted two images for the radio, one was zipped and dumped from mmcblk0p1, and the other is the one you linked to. I downloaded both and checked the MD5, they are the same.

Well, I think this is it, I'll get this phone, flash the radio, put my t-mobile sim in it, and cross my fingers ...
The only problem left is, how to get rid of the verizon logo without ruining the phone
11th November 2012, 05:38 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 200

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslomagic

The only problem left is, how to get rid of the verizon logo without ruining the phone

Let me know if you figure that one out.

I suppose we could always cover it up with a sticker or something.
11th November 2012, 08:44 PM |#7  
OP Member

More
I'm so mad that the aussie radio isn't compatible with my ATT card, can't connect to 2G, 3G, or 4G on ATT or TMO frequencies. Do I have to have the sim card out of the phone when I flash the radio cuz i left it in.
11th November 2012, 09:02 PM |#8  

More
Quote:

I'm so mad that the aussie radio isn't compatible with my ATT card, can't connect to 2G, 3G, or 4G on ATT or TMO frequencies. Do I have to have the sim card out of the phone when I flash the radio cuz i left it in.

Dev Edition or retail?

Is voice working?

Did you go into settings and make sure the radio is set to GSM or WCDMA? Are you sure the APN is correct, or even there at all?
11th November 2012, 11:10 PM |#9  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by freak4dell

Dev Edition or retail?

Is voice working?

Did you go into settings and make sure the radio is set to GSM or WCDMA? Are you sure the APN is correct, or even there at all?

Lol I have dev edition. Thanks for the reply. I have no idea with the APN and what it is. Can you please explain? Thanks
11th November 2012, 11:41 PM |#10  
OP Member

More
Quote:

Lol I have dev edition. Thanks for the reply. I have no idea with the APN and what it is. Can you please explain? Thanks

I researched APN a little bit.

When I type this into a new APN:

Name: StraightTalk ATT
APN: att.mvno
Proxy: Not set
Port: Not set
Username: Not set
Password: Not set
Server: Not set
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMSC proxy: 66.209.11.33
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication Type: Not set
APN type: default,supl,mms
APN protocol: IPv4
APN enable/disable: APN enabled (tick mark checked but grayed out anyways)
Bearer: Unspecified

I then press 'save' and it won't save the apn. Its as if the phone knows that its a Straight Talk APN and won't let it save. However, if i put random letters in each of the boxes, it lets me saves the APN. Any ideas as to why? Also which APN setting will work with the Aussie Radios?
11th November 2012, 11:49 PM |#11  

More
Well, it doesn't look like you're supposed to be leaving the Proxy and Port blank.

http://www.straighttalksim.com/support.php

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1856574
The Following User Says Thank You to freak4dell For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift freak4dell Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)