FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[SOLVED] [adb] backup not working for Temple Run

14 posts
Thanks Meter: 10

Post Reply Email Thread
Hi everyone,

I am using Nexus 7 running Android 4.1.2 (Google's factory image, stock recovery, bootloader unlocked, rooted) and my laptop is running Arch Linux. I want to use 'adb backup' command to backup my games' progress.

I've tried four games:

Code:
com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftN3HM
com.imangi.templerun
com.rovio.amazingalex.premium
com.zeptolab.ctr.paid
I run commands like this:
Code:
adb backup -f foobar.ab com.bar.foo
And here are the results:
Code:
-rw-r-----  1 wzyboy wzyboy 7.0M 2012-11-12 11:41 com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftN3HM.ab
-rw-r-----  1 wzyboy wzyboy 4.5K 2012-11-12 12:05 com.imangi.templerun.ab
-rw-r-----  1 wzyboy wzyboy  29K 2012-11-12 11:36 com.rovio.amazingalex.premium.ab
-rw-r-----  1 wzyboy wzyboy 614K 2012-11-12 11:40 com.zeptolab.ctr.paid.ab
As you can see, Three of them are of normal sizes, but the backup file of game 'Temple Run' is very small, only 4.5K. Actually, when I use 'adb restore' to restore them, the progress of 'Temple Run' will not be restored at all! The other three backup files are just fine.

I've tried a few times, the backup file of Temple Run is still very small.

Could anyone help?

25th November 2012, 03:49 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
same here
adb backup produces empty files. Happening to me too, on two devices, with any app I try to backup.
26th November 2012, 02:32 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Wuxi

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomerk

adb backup produces empty files. Happening to me too, on two devices, with any app I try to backup.

Well, I figured out why.

'adb backup', given specific app, will only backup its data in /data partition, and will not backup its data in USB shared storage. And Temple Run stores its record (highest store, lifetime run, etc) in USB shared storage ( /sdcard/Android/data/some.package.name/ ). Though 'adb backup -shared' can handle USB shared storage, it backups up the WHOLE shared storage, which is huge!

So, to backup records of Temple Run, we need to backup its USB shared storage directory.
The Following User Says Thank You to wzyboy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wzyboy Ad-Free
5th October 2013, 10:20 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 912

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wzyboy

Hi everyone,

I am using Nexus 7 running Android 4.1.2 (Google's factory image, stock recovery, bootloader unlocked, rooted) and my laptop is running Arch Linux. I want to use 'adb backup' command to backup my games' progress.

I've tried four games:

Code:
com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftN3HM
com.imangi.templerun
com.rovio.amazingalex.premium
com.zeptolab.ctr.paid
I run commands like this:
Code:
adb backup -f foobar.ab com.bar.foo
And here are the results:
Code:
-rw-r-----  1 wzyboy wzyboy 7.0M 2012-11-12 11:41 com.gameloft.android.ANMP.GloftN3HM.ab
-rw-r-----  1 wzyboy wzyboy 4.5K 2012-11-12 12:05 com.imangi.templerun.ab
-rw-r-----  1 wzyboy wzyboy  29K 2012-11-12 11:36 com.rovio.amazingalex.premium.ab
-rw-r-----  1 wzyboy wzyboy 614K 2012-11-12 11:40 com.zeptolab.ctr.paid.ab
As you can see, Three of them are of normal sizes, but the backup file of game 'Temple Run' is very small, only 4.5K. Actually, when I use 'adb restore' to restore them, the progress of 'Temple Run' will not be restored at all! The other three backup files are just fine.

I've tried a few times, the backup file of Temple Run is still very small.

Could anyone help?

In order to be able to restore an app's data, you need to have the apk installed first on provide the apk in the backup, otherwise won't work. adb restore does not automatically download the apk from Google Play.

Read more here:

[GUIDE] How to extract, create or edit android adb backups

I've tested Temple Run and Temple Run 2 personally, and adb backup doesn't work for them since the developer has established that savegames are not stored on backups. If you uninstall the game, you will remove also the savegame from he sdcard without chances of recovering it. This is an example of a bad designed application. Titanium Backup successfully saves and restores savegames in this cases, root is required.
11th October 2013, 06:47 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 912

More
Temple Run Oz is the only one that stores savegames on adb backups. Temple Run, Temple Run 2 and Temple Run Brave don't, so you have to backup data in sdcard prior to uninstall them, or you'll lose the savegames forever.
12th October 2013, 02:36 AM |#6  
OP Junior Member
Flag Wuxi

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandiun

Temple Run Oz is the only one that stores savegames on adb backups. Temple Run, Temple Run 2 and Temple Run Brave don't, so you have to backup data in sdcard prior to uninstall them, or you'll lose the savegames forever.

Great explaination! Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to wzyboy For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wzyboy Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
adb, backup, temple run
Previous Thread Next Thread