FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

 View Poll Results: Did you find this Guide Useful ?

Hell Yeah
 
12 Vote(s)
48.00%
Sort of...
 
10 Vote(s)
40.00%
Not Helpful
 
2 Vote(s)
8.00%
Hated It !@#$&*!**
 
1 Vote(s)
4.00%

[Guide]Noobs Guide to creating a logcat[All methods explained as of 20.1.2013]

1,272 posts
Thanks Meter: 697
 
By Dark Passenger, Senior Member on 12th November 2012, 11:35 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Q. What is a logcat?

Ans. A logcat is a sort of written report for what things(operations like starting processes lot of dev related technical things) the phone is doing at a given time.


this guide shall provide simple step by step method (Will try to be very short and direct)
Why create this guide cause i found a lot of guides on this topic(Really a lot !!!)
But were written in a fairly roundabout manner so here is my attempt to simplify things.

Prerequisites : (Please read before doing anything)



For creating a logcat via computer :

1.ADB(Android Debugging Bridge) you can get a smaller version from here : ADB & logcat tools.zip else you can get it along with android SDK.

For creating a logcat via phone :

1.alogcat/catlog[APP]

OR

2.Terminal Emulator.[APP]



Ok down to business...

Via Computer (ADB) :



very useful cause you can start logcatting(Is there such term) even before booting.

open terminal at the location for ADB example for me its C:/ADB>

so now your teminal should look like this :

Code:
C:/ADB>
now connect your phone via USB and don't forget to tick Android Debugging option under app>development(2.3.x) or Developer Option>usb debugging(4.0.x & above) on your phone

now type this in the terminal
Code:
adb logcat -v long > name of problem.txt
nothing will happen on the terminal don't worry its working to end the logcat press ctrl+c.

you shall have a log file called name of problem.txt or whatever you thought of substituting that name of problem with inside your ADB folder.



Via Phone :



1.Via Terminal Emulator :

its same as for adb except you are already in the shell that is rather than doing adb to reach your phone and then command just enter the command simple

type this in your terminal emulator :
Code:
logcat -v long > name of problem.txt
to finish logging press vol down button + c

you will find a text file on your SD Card.

2.Via logcatting(still don't think its a word) APP

here are the links.
1.CatLog

2.aLogCat(free)



Sources :
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Dark Passenger For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Dark Passenger Ad-Free
 
 
12th November 2012, 12:44 PM |#2  
Dark Passenger's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Pune
Thanks Meter: 697
 
More
If you have any doubts or problem Private message me ...(I do not reply to hate mail,controversies,or doubts that i feel have been adressed to the best of my knowledge here)

Good Luck and hope this helps you to get other developers address your problems convincingly
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dark Passenger For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Dark Passenger Ad-Free
5th January 2013, 11:50 PM |#3  
speed_bot's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 1,285
 
Donate to Me
More
Thumbs up
good tutoiral you could add some basic adb commands to the op..
15th January 2013, 04:48 PM |#4  
ZmisiS's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Livno
Thanks Meter: 394
 
More
Via Phone don't works for me. Do I need to install something before this?
16th January 2013, 07:02 AM |#5  
Account currently disabled
Flag »»City Of Dreams««
Thanks Meter: 2
 
Donate to Me
More
Can we make a logcat through our phone? ?
16th January 2013, 09:20 AM |#6  
sudarshan_mehta's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag $@STARS@$
Thanks Meter: 272
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by brady_4u

Can we make a logcat through our phone? ?

yes, you can do it from phone using terminal emulator!!!
16th January 2013, 09:44 AM |#7  
Account currently disabled
Flag »»City Of Dreams««
Thanks Meter: 2
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sudarshan_mehta

yes, you can do it from phone using terminal emulator!!!

What command?

And then can we copy all the data from there? ?
16th January 2013, 09:47 AM |#8  
sudarshan_mehta's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag $@STARS@$
Thanks Meter: 272
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady_4love

What command?

And then can we copy all the data from there? ?

search from google!!! i am too lazy to type all that commands!!!!

which data are you taking about?

Sent from my GT-S5670 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to sudarshan_mehta For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift sudarshan_mehta Ad-Free
16th January 2013, 02:03 PM |#9  
Dark Passenger's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Pune
Thanks Meter: 697
 
More
taking logcat via phone (apps and terminal) is explained in the first post please look.

if confused pm me.
11th September 2013, 06:52 AM |#10  
flasherruts's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Mumbai
Thanks Meter: 84
 
More
Post thankx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Passenger

Q. What is a logcat?

Ans. A logcat is a sort of written report for what things(operations like starting processes lot of dev related technical things) the phone is doing at a given time.


this guide shall provide simple step by step method (Will try to be very short and direct)
Why create this guide cause i found a lot of guides on this topic(Really a lot !!!)
But were written in a fairly roundabout manner so here is my attempt to simplify things.

Prerequisites : (Please read before doing anything)



For creating a logcat via computer :

1.ADB(Android Debugging Bridge) you can get a smaller version from here : ADB & logcat tools.zip else you can get it along with android SDK.

For creating a logcat via phone :

1.alogcat/catlog[APP]

OR

2.Terminal Emulator.[APP]



Ok down to business...

Via Computer (ADB) :



very useful cause you can start logcatting(Is there such term) even before booting.

open terminal at the location for ADB example for me its C:/ADB>

so now your teminal should look like this :

Code:
C:/ADB>
now connect your phone via USB and don't forget to tick Android Debugging option under app>development(2.3.x) or Developer Option>usb debugging(4.0.x & above) on your phone

now type this in the terminal
Code:
adb logcat -v long > name of problem.txt
nothing will happen on the terminal don't worry its working to end the logcat press ctrl+c.

you shall have a log file called name of problem.txt or whatever you thought of substituting that name of problem with inside your ADB folder.



Via Phone :



1.Via Terminal Emulator :

its same as for adb except you are already in the shell that is rather than doing adb to reach your phone and then command just enter the command simple

type this in your terminal emulator :
Code:
logcat -v long > name of problem.txt
to finish logging press vol down button + c

you will find a text file on your SD Card.

2.Via logcatting(still don't think its a word) APP

here are the links.
1.CatLog

2.aLogCat(free)



Sources :

Thankx a lot man . Am a newbie and it helped me a lot!!!!! Thanks !!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flasherruts For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift flasherruts Ad-Free
30th January 2014, 03:10 PM |#11  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Talking ADB Push
Quote:
Originally Posted by flasherruts

Thankx a lot man . Am a newbie and it helped me a lot!!!!! Thanks !!!

Are there any tricks to using ADB push and install? I hae been trying and cannot get it to work.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
how to create a logcat, logcat guide, noob friendly

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes