FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Factory Restore - Archive does not contain... Help.

139 posts
Thanks Meter: 5
 
By Mr. Monkey, Senior Member on 14th November 2012, 06:53 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey guys. My brother got himself a Nexus 7 which is his first Android, and he was playing with some tweaks or mods or something and tried flashing via recovery and has messed something up. I have tried using the Toolkits as well as doing it manually with fastboot. I am able to flash a recovery and use that, but lose it after boot (the permanent option doesn't seem to stick). But, when I try to do a factory restore with the google image, it doesnt matter if i'm doig it manual or with the toolkit, the all respond with a "archive does not contain... " boot.sig, recovery.sig, or system.sig. Here is my output:
C:\Google Nexus 7 ToolKit>fastboot-toolkit.exe -w update "C:\Users\monkey\nakasi-
jro03d\image-nakasi-jro03d.zip"
archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
archive does not contain 'system.sig'
--------------------------------------------
getvar:version-bootloader FAILED (command write failed (Unknown error))
finished. total time: 0.836s

Even if I do them manually, one at a time:
C:\Google Nexus 7 ToolKit>fastboot-toolkit.exe flash boot nakasi-jro03d\image-na
kasi-jro03d\boot.img
sending 'boot' (4890 KB)...
FAILED (command write failed (Unknown error))
finished. total time: 0.858s

I have also tried pushing a stock rom .zip to the /sdcard and it doesnt seem to make it either.

Feels like internal memory is corrupt. Any thoughts or ideas I can try? Also... should any custom recovery allow adb access? TWRP or CWM Touch don't seem to work.
 
 
14th November 2012, 06:55 PM |#2  
Mr. Monkey's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Sandy, Utah
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
Update... Just rebooted into bootloader and tried:
C:\Google Nexus 7 ToolKit>fastboot-toolkit.exe -w update "C:\Users\monkey\nakasi-jro03d-factory-e102ba72\nakasi-
jro03d\image-nakasi-jro03d.zip"
archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
archive does not contain 'system.sig'
--------------------------------------------
Bootloader Version...: 3.34
Baseband Version.....: N/A
Serial Number........: 015d256898080e19
--------------------------------------------
checking product...
OKAY [ 0.031s]
checking version-bootloader...
OKAY [ 0.016s]
sending 'boot' (4890 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.608s]
writing 'boot'...
OKAY [ 0.390s]
sending 'recovery' (5234 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.655s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 0.343s]
sending 'system' (438656 KB)...
FAILED (unknown status code)
finished. total time: 3.292s

That's the most progress I can get. System seems to fail though. Tried multiple times.
14th November 2012, 09:14 PM |#3  
Mr. Monkey's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Sandy, Utah
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
Another note... If I boot into Recovery and adb push a file to the /sdcard, the transfer looks like it completes, but when I go to flash zip in recovery it gives me an E: Can't mount /sdcard/. Same thing if I go to the mounts and storage option and try to mount /sdcard.

Any ideas guys? Never seen this before.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Monkey For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Mr. Monkey Ad-Free
14th November 2012, 09:39 PM |#4  
Senior Member
Flag Manchester
Thanks Meter: 402
 
Donate to Me
More
Extract the zip.You will get another file..extract that...keep extracting all the files till you get system.img, recovery.img, boot.img, etc ..then boot into bootloader and Manually flash all the img files

fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

etc.
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to manasgirdhar For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift manasgirdhar Ad-Free
14th November 2012, 09:55 PM |#5  
comminus's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 631
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Monkey

Update... Just rebooted into bootloader and tried:
C:\Google Nexus 7 ToolKit>fastboot-toolkit.exe -w update "C:\Users\monkey\nakasi-jro03d-factory-e102ba72\nakasi-
jro03d\image-nakasi-jro03d.zip"
archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'recovery.sig'
archive does not contain 'system.sig'
--------------------------------------------
Bootloader Version...: 3.34
Baseband Version.....: N/A
Serial Number........: 015d256898080e19
--------------------------------------------
checking product...
OKAY [ 0.031s]
checking version-bootloader...
OKAY [ 0.016s]
sending 'boot' (4890 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.608s]
writing 'boot'...
OKAY [ 0.390s]
sending 'recovery' (5234 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.655s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 0.343s]
sending 'system' (438656 KB)...
FAILED (unknown status code)
finished. total time: 3.292s

That's the most progress I can get. System seems to fail though. Tried multiple times.

The "archive does not contain *.sig" messages are normal. The FAILED messages on sending the system image is disconcerting. Use the platform tools from Google which includes fastboot. http://dl-ssl.google.com/android/rep...16-windows.zip

There is a .bat file in the factory image archive that you can run to return to stock. If you don't want to run that, at least open it up and manually run the commands in sequence.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to comminus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift comminus Ad-Free
14th November 2012, 11:24 PM |#6  
Mr. Monkey's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Sandy, Utah
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by comminus

The "archive does not contain *.sig" messages are normal. The FAILED messages on sending the system image is disconcerting. Use the platform tools from Google which includes fastboot. http://dl-ssl.google.com/android/rep...16-windows.zip

There is a .bat file in the factory image archive that you can run to return to stock. If you don't want to run that, at least open it up and manually run the commands in sequence.

I think that's the same thing I've been trying. I did download Google's platform-tools and try with that and still got the same error. Seems like I can't write to /system. Can't even erase it:
c:\android\platform-tools>fastboot.exe flash system C:\android\nakasi-jro03d\ima
ge-nakasi-jro03d\system.img
sending 'system' (438656 KB)...
FAILED (command write failed (Invalid argument))
finished. total time: 0.094s

c:\android\platform-tools>fastboot.exe erase system
erasing 'system'...
FAILED (command write failed (Unknown error))
finished. total time: 0.733s

c:\android\platform-tools>fastboot.exe format system
formatting 'system' partition...
FAILED (command write failed (Unknown error))
FAILED (command write failed (Unknown error))
finished. total time: 0.889s

What are my options? Flash stock recovery, re-lock bootloader and send it in for an RMA? Anyone else know what to try?
14th November 2012, 11:30 PM |#7  
comminus's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Vancouver
Thanks Meter: 631
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Monkey

I think that's the same thing I've been trying. I did download Google's platform-tools and try with that and still got the same error. Seems like I can't write to /system. Can't even erase it:
c:\android\platform-tools>fastboot.exe flash system C:\android\nakasi-jro03d\ima
ge-nakasi-jro03d\system.img
sending 'system' (438656 KB)...
FAILED (command write failed (Invalid argument))
finished. total time: 0.094s

c:\android\platform-tools>fastboot.exe erase system
erasing 'system'...
FAILED (command write failed (Unknown error))
finished. total time: 0.733s

c:\android\platform-tools>fastboot.exe format system
formatting 'system' partition...
FAILED (command write failed (Unknown error))
FAILED (command write failed (Unknown error))
finished. total time: 0.889s

What are my options? Flash stock recovery, re-lock bootloader and send it in for an RMA? Anyone else know what to try?

Two more thoughts - 1. try updating drivers. 2. verify the sha1 hash of the factory image
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to comminus For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift comminus Ad-Free
14th November 2012, 11:32 PM |#8  
csamolot's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Emmaus
Thanks Meter: 23
 
More
Did you try switching to a different usb port? Just a thought is all.
The Following User Says Thank You to csamolot For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift csamolot Ad-Free
15th November 2012, 12:06 AM |#9  
Mr. Monkey's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Sandy, Utah
Thanks Meter: 5
 
More
Wow. Can't thank you guys enough. Thought this was toast. I ended up trying all of the above, haha. Even though I had done it several times. I tried multiple computers, multiple factory images, multiple programs, multiple USB ports. But somehow, maybe your encouragement, something helped. I'll watch it and make sure nothing seems fishy, because I don't know how in the world that worked.... but it did. Thank you very much.
25th December 2012, 09:53 AM |#10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by manasgirdhar

Extract the zip.You will get another file..extract that...keep extracting all the files till you get system.img, recovery.img, boot.img, etc ..then boot into bootloader and Manually flash all the img files

fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

etc.

Hi there

I was having the same problem but when I try to flash the system.img (or the 'image-nasaki-jop40d.zip file too for that matter) I get the following error:

"error: cannot load 'system.img': Not enough space

I have done ALL the steps found in this guide without any issues until I get to that part

Help please my wife just gave me this N7 for christmas and I can't believe I may have just bricked it!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to combi06 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift combi06 Ad-Free
13th June 2013, 01:15 AM |#11  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Lightbulb My solution
I understand this is an old thread but I came across it when I was having the same issues earlier today.

Oddly, using the USB cable that came with the N7 seemed to fix the multiple "FAILED" I was getting.

Using my Samsung USB cable seemed to cause the issues.

Hope this can be a solution to others that may come by this thread by googling the issue.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes