[GUIDE](EASY)Locked Jelly Bean to Custom Rom

693 posts
Thanks Meter: 286

By McJesus15, Senior Member on 17th November 2012, 06:49 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Alright so there are a few users who are locked on Jelly Bean and are wanting to take the dive of unlocking and installing a custom rom. So I figured I'd put together this little guide to hopefully help y'all out.

I am not responsible for any damage you do to your device. Following this is your choice.This will void your Asus warranty and you assume all responsibility from here on out.

As long as you follow all directions in this guide your device will not be bricked. It will be unleashed to this beast of a tablets max power

Before you continue make sure you:

1. Have the drivers for your device installed on your computer
2. Have made the upgrade to Jelly Bean
3. Have the USB cable for your Prime
4. Have nerves of steel and the ability to read all and follow instructions in this guide.

Useful Information for total beginners: Some people using this guide may not even entirely understand what they are undertaking. This is not acceptable so it's time for some education. Android is a Linux based operating system (in it's self, not direly important information but it's nice background knowledge) which means that there are certain permissions to users. Having "root" permission is like being an "Administrator" on Windows systems. All devices come without "root" permissions as the total new users can do irreparable damage to their device. This is different than unlocking your boot loader. Unlocking your boot loader (in the Transformer Prime's case) is the act of saying to Asus "I willingly give up my devices warranty in exchange for the ability to totally control my device so I can flash custom software". Unlocking does not automatically give a device root permissions. This can only be obtained through an exploit or by flashing the proper thing after unlocking. Since I'm not perfect at wording (and it's best to educate yourself as much as possible on the subject) there is more info here:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2010/04...android-phone/
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/gal...r-rooting.html

Step 1 Download the Unlock tool here: http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_...F201/#download (navigate to Downloads, then select the OS as Android, then scroll to utilities and expand the menu. Find the unlock tool and download that. Don't worry about the "For ICS only" disclaimer. This has been confirmed working on Jelly Bean). Install this app on your Prime and run it. Connect to a network before doing so and follow all on-screen directions.

Step 2. By this point the unlock tool has done it's job and when you boot your Prime now has a nice "Your device is unlocked" message in the upper left corner of the screen. The next step is to flash a custom recovery image (TeamWin Recovery Project(TWRP) in this guides case). This may sound complicated but there are multiple easy ways to do this.

Option 1: Go to the TeamWin website and download the needed files as directed on the page and follow the instructions on the website to flash TWRP. (http://teamw.in/project/twrp2/93)

Option 2 (easy option): This option flashes TWRP running a file from your Windows computer. The file attached at the bottom of this guide needs to be downloaded and unzipped to your desktop. Once this is done you power of your Prime and turn it back on while holding the volume down button. Once the tab vibrates release the power button but continue to hold the volume down button.

Once this has been done you will see 4 icons pop up. One is the USB symbol. Navigate to that by pressing the Volume Down button until the icon is highlighted and press volume up to select it (the menu will say use Volume Up to navigate but this is incorrect). This will put your device into fastboot mode. Connect your Prime to your computer via the USB cable and open the folder you extracted earlier. Run the Windows Batch File. This will automatically flash the TeamWin Recovery image for the Jelly Bean bootloader.

Now that you have unlocked and have a custom recovery installed you can begin the flashing. To get into your recovery all you do is power up while holding volume down and select the RCK icon. This boots the recovery image and you'll be able to flash, back up, and restore roms. All threads will have a guide on how to flash the rom in the thread so I won't go into detail. I do suggest however, using a microSDcard to store downloaded roms for flashing as it is safer than internal storage. If you are looking to back up your apps then there's this amazing app called Titanium Backup on the Android Market. It's very powerful and can backup your apps as well as user data.

HELP! Something went wrong and I need help: As with all processes there can be issues that arise. Some are common and others are individual. Let's address some common problems for all you who are still nervous about this:
1. Everything seemed to go fine but my Prime won't boot into TWRP
SOLUTION: This problem comes up for a few reasons and is pretty common. A lot of time it's simply a bad download or you have the wrong files. Check the files you have and make sure they are the right ones. If so then download them again. Sometimes a download just gets corrupted. If neither of these solutions worked either try another method of installing TWRP outlined on their website or post here and either I or another helpful person will do everything possible to help
2. When I tried to flash a custom ROM it won't boot:
SOLUTION: Usually this is an issue specific to the ROM you are flashing. The basic list of problems to eliminate are:
1.Ensure you have a good download
2.Ensure you have the proper boot loader for the ROM (i.e. JB boot loader for Jelly Bean ROMs
3. Try reflashing the rom. Sometimes something just doesn't work and the only way to fix it is to reflash
Vocab guide for totally new users:

Rom(s): Basically the operating system of your device.

TWRP: Team Win Recovery Project. Started by developers here at XDA and is a powerful recovery tool.

Brick/bricked device: Developer term for saying your device will no longer work due to software/roms and is basically a very, very expensive brick/paper weight.

FAQ: Q: My device is on Jelly Bean but the unlock tool will not work for me no matter what I do. What's wrong?
A: Asus has some issues as a company and certain people are completely unable to unlock their device no matter what. I suggest contacting Asus with your devices S/N and politely ask for an explanation and see if the issue can be resolved. Many users who have used the Asus RMA have still been unable to unlock afterwards.

Other useful links: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pW05...2&feature=plcp

Very comprehensive video guide with a full walkthrough to help all with this process. And of course all users can PM me with questions or ask them here.

SuperSU.zip attached is for those who want to root the stock rom. Any custom rom should already be rooted for you.
Attached Files
File Type: zip AndroWook Updater.zip - [Click for QR Code] (7.86 MB, 625 views)
File Type: zip UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.25.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.00 MB, 350 views)
The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to McJesus15 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift McJesus15 Ad-Free
18th November 2012, 08:38 AM |#2  
Flag South Bend
Thanks Meter: 396

More
Good tutorial ..On your way to becoming a recognized contributer

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to 3ncrypt3d_Droid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift 3ncrypt3d_Droid Ad-Free
18th November 2012, 10:18 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Unfortunately the unlocking tool doesn't work on my TFP, which currently is fully stock 10.4.2.17 and connected to network through wifi.
Tried rebooting, cold booting, waiting, cursing. Might try smashing it against a wall next.
Strange because I've read about many people confirming the tool working on JB. But no luck for me I guess.
18th November 2012, 11:05 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 58

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaLongTjeu

Unfortunately the unlocking tool doesn't work on my TFP, which currently is fully stock 10.4.2.17 and connected to network through wifi.
Tried rebooting, cold booting, waiting, cursing. Might try smashing it against a wall next.
Strange because I've read about many people confirming the tool working on JB. But no luck for me I guess.

The unlock tool doesn't work for about half the people on this forum. There is a separate thread about the whole unlock tool issue. Its useless. Asus refuses to do anything about it. They suggested RMA for some people to fix the unlock issue but when the tablet was returned, it was still locked. Take a look at the thread.
18th November 2012, 11:24 AM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by applesuckz

The unlock tool doesn't work for about half the people on this forum. There is a separate thread about the whole unlock tool issue. Its useless. Asus refuses to do anything about it. They suggested RMA for some people to fix the unlock issue but when the tablet was returned, it was still locked. Take a look at the thread.

I know. There are several threads concerning the unlock tool. My TFP went RMA 2 times, I was unable to unlock after both RMA's. I had root in ICS, but completely lost it after the JB OTA. I was hoping the recent OTA update would change something about the unlocking problems everyone's having, but for me it didn't change a thing.

The OP would be wise not to state that "Don't worry about the "For ICS only" disclaimer. This has been confirmed working on Jelly Bean". For it has be confirmed working on JB by a few user; many of us are unable to unlock even after the latest OTA.
Nothing works for me: reboot, cold boot, factory reset.

I desperately want to installl a custom rom on my TFP to see if that unleashes it's full potential. Right now I own a HTC One X+, which has the same cpu as the TFP but it's many times faster, smoother and less annoying. I still believe the TFP has the potential to be what it was intended to be, but ASUS software isn't going to do that for us.
18th November 2012, 04:21 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaLongTjeu

I know. There are several threads concerning the unlock tool. My TFP went RMA 2 times, I was unable to unlock after both RMA's. I had root in ICS, but completely lost it after the JB OTA. I was hoping the recent OTA update would change something about the unlocking problems everyone's having, but for me it didn't change a thing.

The OP would be wise not to state that "Don't worry about the "For ICS only" disclaimer. This has been confirmed working on Jelly Bean". For it has be confirmed working on JB by a few user; many of us are unable to unlock even after the latest OTA.
Nothing works for me: reboot, cold boot, factory reset.

I desperately want to installl a custom rom on my TFP to see if that unleashes it's full potential. Right now I own a HTC One X+, which has the same cpu as the TFP but it's many times faster, smoother and less annoying. I still believe the TFP has the potential to be what it was intended to be, but ASUS software isn't going to do that for us.

The issue is not Jelly Bean. The issue is sometimes the servers Asus uses to cross check your serial numbers loses some peoples S/N's. Without a registered S/N the unlock tool will not work. This is the fault of Asus and has been discussed many times. Developers have even decompiled the unlock tool and tried to reverse engineer it to solve this issue to no avail. Please, feel free to do some research if you doubt my answers. Many have spent hours doing so to only find out what they've been told.
The Following User Says Thank You to McJesus15 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift McJesus15 Ad-Free
18th November 2012, 09:13 PM |#7  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by McJesus15

The issue is not Jelly Bean. The issue is sometimes the servers Asus uses to cross check your serial numbers loses some peoples S/N's. Without a registered S/N the unlock tool will not work. This is the fault of Asus and has been discussed many times. Developers have even decompiled the unlock tool and tried to reverse engineer it to solve this issue to no avail. Please, feel free to do some research if you doubt my answers. Many have spent hours doing so to only find out what they've been told.

I don't doubt your answer, I had never heard about any server-related issues though. Lots of people reported that their Prime's somehow had forgotten their serial numbers, but mine still has it's serial number. Also I registered my S/N online and it's still there, but I don't think that's related in any way. I RMA'd twice, I'm able to get OTA fm updates (possibly a clue that there are no server-side issues with my S/N), but now I'm unable to unlock.

Your guide is great and I really hope it helps many users unlock their Primes so they can get rid of the stock rom and flash a proper one onto their devices. You might want to insert a note though, that even though the unlock tool has been confirmed to work on some JB-primes there's still a chance it won't work (whatever the reason is).

OK let's stop squabbling about semantics here. Fact of the matter is that whoever's able to unlock at this point is quite lucky. The rest of us will just have to wait until ASUS fixes the issues or some whizzkid with too much time on his hands does.
19th November 2012, 02:38 AM |#8  
London

More
You are a Gem, this finally made the process so much clearer
The Following User Says Thank You to Shizbazki For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Shizbazki Ad-Free
19th November 2012, 03:00 AM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizbazki

You are a Gem, this finally made the process so much clearer

Thank you feel free to hit the thanks button

Sent from my Zio using xda app-developers app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McJesus15 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift McJesus15 Ad-Free
19th November 2012, 10:46 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Hi. I did all the steps you mentioned. In flashing TWRP I chose the 2nd option and everything went great.

The problem appears when I want to go to my recovery (power up holding volume down and then RCK) I get the droid with exclamation mark and nothing happens. Flashing recovery was succesful and I dont have an idea what could went wrong. I'm bit a new user of TF201 so would be grateful if You can help me

EDIT: Ah, I saw now that recovery is not flashing properly, saying sth like InvalidState.

EDIT 2: Ok I handled it myself, thanks again for the guide it was very useful!
19th November 2012, 04:07 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Flashed Androwook this morning. Thanks for the painless guide.
Annoyed that nvflash isn't supported on Jelly Bean though. Now that I've flashed, can I get it?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
guide, jelly bean, tf201

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)