[Q] Nexus 10 Disable HDCP (DIsable HDMI Copy Protection)

Search This thread

tgraupmann

Nov 21, 2012
Monroe
I'm an android developer having a an issue with my Nexus 10.

HDCP (HDMI copy protection) is turned on making it not possible to capture videos on my development apps, please advise.

I'm using an ElGato to capture HDMI output which needs unecrypted HDMI output.

I can correctly see the display on my HDCP compatible TV. But on my capture software I just get a blank screen.

Where is the Android setting that disables HDCP?

Will I need to root my Nexus 10? Will I need to use cyanagenmod? Will I need to rewrite the firmware?

Or is this a simple setting I can toggle off?

I see other forum posts, but I don't see how an ODBC driver would make this work?

Thanks,

~Tim

Reactions: oriolj

alias_neo

Jun 9, 2006
London
Is it not in developer options anymore?

You get developer options by tapping "build number" 7 or so times. They hid it in 4.2 by default.

tgraupmann

Nov 21, 2012
Monroe
On Nexus 10,

After unlocking the boot loader, it's in download mode. Who designed this without a progress bar? How long should it be downloading? In fastboot mode is there a command I can run to get the download progress to check for an error? Or at least I want to be able to fastboot a command to start the download, and another command to query the progress? How many hours does it sit there with the Google X?

akhan47

Oct 21, 2012
On Nexus 10,

After unlocking the boot loader, it's in download mode. Who designed this without a progress bar? How long should it be downloading? In fastboot mode is there a command I can run to get the download progress to check for an error? Or at least I want to be able to fastboot a command to start the download, and another command to query the progress? How many hours does it sit there with the Google X?

Just hold power and turn it off.
Turn it on again while holding volume up and down.
Go to recovery mode.
Tap power and volume up at the same time. (you might have to do this a few times)
Clear cache and delete partition.
Restart.

alias_neo

Jun 9, 2006
London
On Nexus 10,

Bear in mine that "download mode - do not turn off target" doesn't actually mean it's downloading unless you started a "download" yourself, the only time that mode is used is with Odin, but I've only even seen it used on Samsung stuff and not nexus devices.

As long as you don't see the blue progress bar, and if you didn't start some process, you're okay to just switch off and get into the correct mode.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
wiki.realmofespionage.xyz
OnePlus 6

1. Unlock bootloader with fastboot oem unlock
2. Re-stock (might be needed; otherwise device might just hang at Nexus logo); auto-reboot to System
3. Copy the custom ROM files (ROM, Kernel, Gapps) to the root of the Nexus 10 MTP device after setup wizard (might be /storage/sdcard for adb push)
3. Install TWRP or CWM
4. Boot to Recovery (TWRP or CWM)
5. Install ROM, Gapps, and Kernel, in that order
6. Wipe caches, reboot
7. Profit.

You don't need to root the device to install a custom ROM. You do need to install a custom recovery though.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougTanner

tgraupmann

Nov 21, 2012
Monroe
Thanks for your posts. I am unstuck, rooted, and on my way to defeat HDCP so I can record my developer video on my elgato.

tgraupmann

Nov 21, 2012
Monroe
Thanks for your posts. I am unstuck, rooted, and on my way to defeat HDCP so I can record my developer video on my elgato.

I successfully installed the custom rom. The HDCP option now appears in the android options where I can disable it.

Unfortunately the ElGato still shows black on my Nexus 10.

Is there a way to verify that Android is sending HDCP off data?

tgraupmann

Nov 21, 2012
Monroe
Also with this ROM my bluetooth issues are still not fixed. I can pair my bluetooth controller, but it won't navigate the Android menus...?

tgraupmann

Nov 21, 2012
Monroe
A friend suggested I try a shell command:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>adb shell am broadcast -a com.motorola.intent.action.exterisplaystate --ei hdmi 1 --ei hdcp 0
Broadcasting: Intent { act=com.motorola.intent.action.externaldisplaystate (has extras) }
Broadcast completed: result=0

Is there a shell command I can use to change the "SET HDCP checking behaviour"?

And "checking", is that really affecting the HDCP encrypted output? How do I go about sending unencrypted HDMI output?

Someone mentioned compiling the ROM from source, is there a link to do something like that?

Thanks,

~Tim

tgraupmann

Nov 21, 2012
Monroe
It would be great if there was a Linux Virtual Machine all setup with the build environment ready to go...

Last edited:

darkuni

Sep 12, 2010
Did you ever find a solution to this issue? I, too, cannot record the HDMI output for developer use - and I'm using the above mentioned custom rom as well with the developer option checked (or unchecked, as it were).

There has to be SOME way to get rid of HDCP out on this thing ...

craigacgomez

Jan 29, 2010
Tustin
Did you ever find a solution to this issue? I, too, cannot record the HDMI output for developer use - and I'm using the above mentioned custom rom as well with the developer option checked (or unchecked, as it were).

There has to be SOME way to get rid of HDCP out on this thing ...

Well, with my AOSP+ ROM, anything played using the default HW decoder should not be HDCP protected... example playing an mp4 file using the Gallery2 app... if you still see it protected, the only option I see is digging into the kernel source for the exynos 5 HW decoder or disabling HDCP in the kernel build... I'd be happy to provide a test kernel with the second option if needed!

Top Liked Posts