So here's the guide how to set up infrastructure hotspot on ubuntu 12.04/12.10. Unlike some other methods described on the internet, this one will not break default network manager.
1. First of all you should make sure, that your wifi adapter supports infrastructure hotspots. If you used connectify on your windows system and it worked, skip this step.
open terminal and type: sudo lshw | less
find -network section and make sure that driver is ath5k or ath9k, this solution will only work for those drivers, but should fit the needs for the most laptop users.
2. We now need to install 2 additional tools to make out hotspot, 1st one is hostapd(hotspot server), 2nd one is dnsmasq(dns dhcp server)
in terminal type: sudo apt-get install hostapd dnsmasq
3. stop those services if started already, and prevent them from starting on system start up.
in terminal type:
sudo service hostapd stop
sudo service dnsmasq stop
sudo update-rc.d hostapd disable
sudo update-rc.d dnsmasq disable
4. Now we need to set up config files.
in terminal type: sudo gedit /etc/dnsmasq.conf
or sudo kate /etc/dnsmasq.conf if you use kde
add those lines to the config file
# Bind to only one interface bind-interfaces # Choose interface for binding interface=wlan0 # Specify range of IP addresses for DHCP leasses dhcp-range=192.168.150.2,192.168.150.10
in terminal type: sudo gedit /etc/hostapd.conf
and add those lines
# Define interface interface=wlan0 # Select driver driver=nl80211 # Set access point name ssid=myhotspot # Set access point harware mode to 802.11g hw_mode=g # Set WIFI channel (can be easily changed) channel=6 # Enable WPA2 only (1 for WPA, 2 for WPA2, 3 for WPA + WPA2) wpa=2 wpa_passphrase=mypassword
6. Now create anywhere you want a file named start.sh
edit it with any text editor like this:
#!/bin/bash # Start # Configure IP address for WLAN sudo ifconfig wlan0 192.168.150.1 # Start DHCP/DNS server sudo service dnsmasq restart # Enable routing sudo sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward=1 # Enable NAT sudo iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE # Run access point daemon sudo hostapd /etc/hostapd.conf # Stop # Disable NAT sudo iptables -D POSTROUTING -t nat -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE # Disable routing sudo sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward=0 # Disable DHCP/DNS server sudo service dnsmasq stop sudo service hostapd stop
7. Last step. Now you can start your hotspot by starting our script. just run it using sudo sh
for me it looks like this sudo sh /home/ogyct/Desktop/start.sh because I have it on my desktop
I am not sure who is the author of this guide, I only translated it to english. But anyway if this helped, hit the thanks button. Good day