818 posts
Thanks Meter: 6,167

Post Reply Email Thread
4th March 2016, 08:25 PM |#3081  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_xxxxx

I came to point 7. When I want to install ubuntu desktop on USB flash drive, it shows this error: "Failed to decompress the image, more space needed?". I found that it can be caused because of not using FAT32 format. I used FAT32 too but with no success. In the internal storage it is successfuly installed. Only USB doesn't work.

I haven't installed it on USB, but i think the error message says it clearly enough... check your flash, also check back in the posts how to exactly install it on USB, there might be something you are missing.
The Following User Says Thank You to MupEHcEH For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift MupEHcEH Ad-Free

5th March 2016, 10:48 AM |#3082  
Thanks Meter: 35

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MupEHcEH

I haven't installed it on USB, but i think the error message says it clearly enough... check your flash, also check back in the posts how to exactly install it on USB, there might be something you are missing.

Of course, I have enough free space on flash drive. That is not the problem. I repaired bad sectors on flash drive and formatted. Now I don't get the error about more space needed but again this error: Failed to extract rootfs.tar.gz archive! Installing to internal memory works fine. I tried two flash drives but both of them give Failed to extract rootfs.tar.gz archive! error. I am using old TWRP and multirom.
5th March 2016, 11:42 AM |#3083  
Thanks Meter: 4

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_xxxxx

this error: Failed to extract rootfs.tar.gz archive! Installing to internal memory works fine. I tried two flash drives but both of them give Failed to extract rootfs.tar.gz archive! error. I am using old TWRP and multirom.

Hi there, I'm having the same issue installing ubuntu-13.04-preinstalled on my N7 2012. Been using Multirom for about a year now and it has always worked great. I upgraded to v33a and then was forced to reinstall Ubuntu 13.04, due to a failed dist-upgrade-nothing to do with MRom. Removed the old Ubuntu 13.04 (had installed fine under v32) and attempted to reinstall it from exactly the same package. Error: "Failed to extract rootfs.tar.gz archive!". Redownloaded the package several times in case of corruption. Didn't work.

Eventually tried Arch Linux from an mrom package made from a rootfs.tar.gz from ArchARM. Worked but then ran into the same error I've had with any Linux rom, rom_info.txt specifies the filesystem incorrectly (f2fs instead of ext4) although its an easy fix and probably unrelated. Bluez5 bluetooth package doesn't play nice with my N7 2012 so I want to go back to Ubuntu.

Perhaps v33 added some extra verification for the rootfs.tar.gz which incorrectly applies to Ubuntu, or maybe the Ubuntu img is due an upgrade (to mrom?)?

Using Multirom v33a with TWRP 3.0.0-0 (default MRom recovery) on a 32GB Nexus 7 2012 with default filesystems for all except cache (f2fs). Only CM12.1 and Arch Linux are currently installed and there is approx. 8GB free space.
13th March 2016, 03:30 AM |#3084  
Flag The Burgh
Thanks Meter: 3,008

Donate to Me
More
Feel like a numpty,kali needs to be flashed on top of an existing Rom, so flash a rom to secondary then flash kali on top of the secondary rom, was not clear to ,me at first but got the answer here
https://github.com/offensive-securit...unter/issues/1
21st March 2016, 09:18 AM |#3085  
Thanks Meter: 35

More
I have a problem. When I go into Swap ROMs section and I want to duplicate secondary ROM, there are no seconadary ROMs listed so I cannot choose which one to duplicate. Anyone facing the same problem?
23rd March 2016, 03:23 PM |#3086  
Flag The Burgh

Donate to Me
More
I am sorry but I just cannot seem to find how to run kitkat primary and MM secondary, the secondary rom will not boot, think its a kernel thing, do I just flash a patched kernel to the secondary ROM ? Somebody please put me out of misery as nothing I search for returns anything of sense
"Multirom kk primary and MM secondary"
I do not get errors in recovery but the secondary rom just will not boot, I did not have this problem when I had a MM rom in primary,
Thanks for any help
23rd March 2016, 03:35 PM |#3087  
Flag Eaton, CO
Thanks Meter: 524

Donate to Me
More
You need to have a "patched kernel" flashed to the PRIMARY ROM. This allows it to boot the secondary kernel. You can find patched kernels in the 2nd post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...51&postcount=2
The Following User Says Thank You to jbaumert For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift jbaumert Ad-Free
23rd March 2016, 03:38 PM |#3088  
Münster, Germany
Thanks Meter: 112

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasssadar

[*] In some cases, you might need to flash patched kernel - get coresponding patched kernel version from second post and flash it to the secondary ROM sama way you flashed ROM's ZIP file.

Stated in OP under 2. Secondary ROM.... I would try a patched kernel for your secondary too!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaloviina For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jaloviina Ad-Free
23rd March 2016, 03:48 PM |#3089  
Flag The Burgh

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaumert

You need to have a "patched kernel" flashed to the PRIMARY ROM. This allows it to boot the secondary kernel. You can find patched kernels in the 2nd post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...51&postcount=2

Thanks but the primary kernel I am using already has the patches, how do I get the secondary rom to use its own kernel? I am using SlimKat (KK) and bricked kernel,multirom manager reports Kernel: has kexec-hardboot patch I would like to keep slimkat as primary

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaloviina

Stated in OP under 2. Secondary ROM.... I would try a patched kernel for your secondary too!!!

Yeah I got it now I think GtrCraft made a compatible aosp kernel which I downloaded, cant find reference to his post though as I see there is no patched kernel for mm in the op.
Also in the op it does say you only need the patched kernel for primary rom
"You need to have kernel with kexec-hardboot patch only in your primary ROM!"
Will try flashing the patched MM kernel to the secondary rom and see whats what, thanks for your responses.
23rd March 2016, 03:55 PM |#3090  
Münster, Germany
Thanks Meter: 112

More
I quoted Tassadar from OP in my first post, please read carefully, it's there under updating/changing ROMs.
This Kernel is patched I'm using it... Even with slimkat as primary and DU MM as secondary...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=3310642
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaloviina For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jaloviina Ad-Free
23rd March 2016, 04:06 PM |#3091  
Flag The Burgh

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaloviina

I quoted Tassadar from OP in my first post, please read carefully, it's there under updating/changing ROMs.
This Kernel is patched I'm using it... Even with slimkat as primary and DU MM as secondary...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=3310642

Sorry I did miss that bit, how to flash a kernel image to secondary slot ? Only see a way to flash zips ?
Going to try adding the patched boot image to the rom zip and reflash it
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
dualboot, multiboot, multirom, ubuntu

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)