Wifi Push Issue While Phone is Asleep

5 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By tiki8888, Junior Member on 24th November 2012, 11:07 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have an AT&T HTC One X+ and use google voice and gmail. Whenever the screen is off, I cannot get notifications that come through wifi. But the second I turn the screen on, the notification pops up and the phone plays the sound and vibrates. I am connected to a 802.11g wifi router with very good signal using WPA-PSK security with the phone's wifi settings set to always leave wifi on during sleep and Wifi frequency band on Auto. I tried disabling security, switching to a different channel, setting the band to 2.4 GHz only, and doing a factory data reset but none of that alleviated the problem. Anyone know what's going on? A video demonstrating this is at the link. docs.google.com/open?id=0BxR4DMrzuTrXM2JJQmdhQjNIY3M
25th November 2012, 12:18 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiki8888

I have an AT&T HTC One X+ and use google voice and gmail. Whenever the screen is off, I cannot get notifications that come through wifi. But the second I turn the screen on, the notification pops up and the phone plays the sound and vibrates. I am connected to a 802.11g wifi router with very good signal using WPA-PSK security with the phone's wifi settings set to always leave wifi on during sleep and Wifi frequency band on Auto. I tried disabling security, switching to a different channel, setting the band to 2.4 GHz only, and doing a factory data reset but none of that alleviated the problem. Anyone know what's going on? A video demonstrating this is at the link. docs.google.com/open?id=0BxR4DMrzuTrXM2JJQmdhQjNIY3M

I'm getting the same issue. Only on cellular network do I get push notifications when the screen is off. In wifi mode I do not get notifications for google voice or gmail until I have unlocked the screen. I've also got a lockscreen issue. I have it set to keep the phone unlocked for 5 minutes on sleep. But when I manually turn the screen off it always asks for my pin.

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

It seems my lockscreen issue is with the widgetsoid lockscreen widget I have. When I use the power button to turn the screen off it does not lock the phone immediately. When I use the widgetsoid widget to turn the screen off, it immediately locks the phone.

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

This seems to be an issue with many HTC phones. I've seen threads as far back as May and July concerning the One X. This is no bueno.

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

For now you can download REGPON Wifi Keepalive on the on the Google Play store. I've tested it and it seems to keep wifi awake so I get my notifications with the screen off.
25th November 2012, 12:57 AM |#3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by synnyster

I'm getting the same issue. Only on cellular network do I get push notifications when the screen is off. In wifi mode I do not get notifications for google voice or gmail until I have unlocked the screen. I've also got a lockscreen issue. I have it set to keep the phone unlocked for 5 minutes on sleep. But when I manually turn the screen off it always asks for my pin.

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

It seems my lockscreen issue is with the widgetsoid lockscreen widget I have. When I use the power button to turn the screen off it does not lock the phone immediately. When I use the widgetsoid widget to turn the screen off, it immediately locks the phone.

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

This seems to be an issue with many HTC phones. I've seen threads as far back as May and July concerning the One X. This is no bueno.

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

For now you can download REGPON Wifi Keepalive on the on the Google Play store. I've tested it and it seems to keep wifi awake so I get my notifications with the screen off.

Ok. Seems to work for me too! I just hope this doesn't eat away at my precious battery life too much... I believe I read somewhere that the One X got an update for an issue relating to this so hopefully we will see an update for this issue soon.
26th November 2012, 07:29 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
Quote:

Ok. Seems to work for me too! I just hope this doesn't eat away at my precious battery life too much... I believe I read somewhere that the One X got an update for an issue relating to this so hopefully we will see an update for this issue soon.

I have a similar problem, but I have to actually restart my wifi. I am using the keepalive app and wifi seems to stay connected now.

Any word on battery drain for you guys?
27th November 2012, 12:06 AM |#5  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfer123

I have a similar problem, but I have to actually restart my wifi. I am using the keepalive app and wifi seems to stay connected now.

Any word on battery drain for you guys?

I have not noticed any battery drain.
27th November 2012, 07:11 PM |#6  

More
Quote:

I have not noticed any battery drain.

I checked battery usage and it shows that keepalive is using 7%.
28th November 2012, 04:51 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
did the new OTA update fix this issue?

Still waiting for my OneX+ to arrive in the mail!! DHL is a disaster
28th November 2012, 02:52 PM |#8  
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 105

More
Quote:

I have no problem with Wifi. Just to clarify: You have the AT&T version as I see, you run the phone as it was shipped and you run no task killer? If the Wifi disconnects the symbol in the notification bar disappears?
28th November 2012, 04:50 PM |#9  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgymnop

I have no problem with Wifi. Just to clarify: You have the AT&T version as I see, you run the phone as it was shipped and you run no task killer? If the Wifi disconnects the symbol in the notification bar disappears?

I have the same problem as the OP and I do have an ATT branded HOX+. Running everything stock and wifi policy as always on. Screen off you do not get any instant/push notifications. Tested like the OP sending myself emails and text messages through GV. Once screen comes on I get the notifications. With wifi OFF using just cellular, I get the same notifications almost instantly with the screen off. Once I installed REGPON Keepalive wifi and used that to keep wifi on always, the notifications worked. As has said before, this is a widespread issue on many HTC One phones. My friend has a One S and he also has this issue.
28th November 2012, 06:26 PM |#10  

More
Quote:

I have the same problem as the OP and I do have an ATT branded HOX+. Running everything stock and wifi policy as always on. Screen off you do not get any instant/push notifications. Tested like the OP sending myself emails and text messages through GV. Once screen comes on I get the notifications. With wifi OFF using just cellular, I get the same notifications almost instantly with the screen off. Once I installed REGPON Keepalive wifi and used that to keep wifi on always, the notifications worked. As has said before, this is a widespread issue on many HTC One phones. My friend has a One S and he also has this issue.

yep same problem, but I actually have to restart my wifi every time this happens. I did not want to sacrifice battery life by using REGPON.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
question

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)