FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] Nexus 7 MTP with Windows XP (File Transfer from/to device)

26 posts
Thanks Meter: 40

By oli.henning, Junior Member on 25th November 2012, 12:53 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
As you all might know: There is no support for "Mass storage Device"-USB-Protocol
in Nexus devices. So you can't use your device lika a dumb USB Memory-Stick any more.

Now there is the so called MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) as a replacement.
This is also an advantage for the user, as there is no need to 'unmount' the Device-Storage from the
Android-OS to enable the low-block-level-access to the storage.
And: There is no need for a FAT32 Filesystem on any flash-sotrage on the device - so nobody has to pay
any licence-fees to Microsoft *smile*

Unfortunately there is no support out-of-the-box when you use Windows XP.
When you USB-connect your Nexus then Windows find's a MPT-Device but still
is unable to access is. Bump....

Based on the work of http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1291293 you
need just to add a simple Text-Line in the file C:\WINDOWS\inf\wpdmtp.inf

Change from:
Code:
[Generic.NTx86]
%GenericMTP.DeviceDesc%=MTP, USB\MS_COMP_MTP
to:
Code:
[Generic.NTx86]
%GenericMTP.DeviceDesc%=MTP, USB\MS_COMP_MTP
%GenericMTP.DeviceDesc%=MTP, USB\VID_18D1&PID_4E42&MI_00
(just add one line which identifies the Nexus 7 device on the USB-Bus)

The next time you plug your Nexus 7 answer 'automatic install' if windows asks
you what to do with the new device. And voilà: You see your files in the Windows-File-Explorer.
The Following 34 Users Say Thank You to oli.henning For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift oli.henning Ad-Free

25th November 2012, 05:48 PM |#2  
Flag Kozani
Thanks Meter: 327

More
It worj .thank you very much

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to clio94 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift clio94 Ad-Free
11th December 2012, 05:52 AM |#3  
Flag Chino
Thanks Meter: 16

Donate to Me
More
thank you very much, been trying to fix this problem
The Following User Says Thank You to Hulkanator For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Hulkanator Ad-Free
15th January 2013, 01:35 PM |#4  
Flag Columbus, OH
Thanks Meter: 33

More
I also had to disable USB debugging to get it to work
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spookytay For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift spookytay Ad-Free
27th January 2013, 11:30 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I'm in the INF folder, what does it mean if i don't have a wpdmtp.inf file in that folder? I'd really like to get me nexus 4 working with WinXP, thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to shinobi-wan For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift shinobi-wan Ad-Free
28th January 2013, 03:43 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Re: [GUIDE] Nexus 7 MTP with Windows XP (File Transfer from/to device)
My Nexus 7 no longer connects to my Sony NSZ bluray as a USB storage device. And there is no option to transfer files between the two.

UPDATE: it never connected as USB storage...was thinking of my old Galaxy tab...
The Following User Says Thank You to thepza For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift thepza Ad-Free
18th March 2013, 12:54 AM |#7  

More
You need to install Media Player 10+
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinobi-wan

I'm in the INF folder, what does it mean if i don't have a wpdmtp.inf file in that folder? I'd really like to get me nexus 4 working with WinXP, thanks.

If wpdmtp.inf doesn’t exist, it means that you don’t have Windows Media Player 10 or above installed. On a fresh Windows XP install, I had to install XP Service Pack 3 and .Net Framework 3.5 so that Windows Media Player would upgrade to 11.

By the way, for Nexus 4 you have to put the Nexus 4-specific hardware ID into wpdmtp.inf. See Nexus 4 wpdmtp.inf. For future devices, probably search for “<device name> wpdmtp.inf” to see what the hardware ID should be.
The Following User Says Thank You to yonran For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift yonran Ad-Free
24th April 2013, 09:38 AM |#8  
Flag Tehran
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I didn't have a wpdmtp.inf file in that folder, so updated my Windows media player to version 11 and modified wpdmtp.inf file.

now everytime i connect my Nexus 7 to PC, Windows find's a MPT-Device but still can't install MTP and i got this error:
"An error occured during the installation of the device. A service installation section in this INF is invalid. "

Any help please? Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to paiom For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift paiom Ad-Free
27th April 2013, 01:51 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 19

Donate to Me
More
You used a device id that matches your device.? If so try rebooting first.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
6th May 2013, 11:46 AM |#10  
Flag Siberia
Thanks Meter: 109

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiom

I didn't have a wpdmtp.inf file in that folder, so updated my Windows media player to version 11 and modified wpdmtp.inf file.

now everytime i connect my Nexus 7 to PC, Windows find's a MPT-Device but still can't install MTP and i got this error:
"An error occured during the installation of the device. A service installation section in this INF is invalid. "

Any help please? Thanks.

I know I'm a little late but I have the same problem..
Any fix found yet?
6th May 2013, 12:55 PM |#11  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by K55V

I know I'm a little late but I have the same problem..
Any fix found yet?

Yes! I found
issue on my own!!! I use the google toolkit and restored my nexus 7 it was very easy and it works great. Only restored with toolkit that's it and you should be straight. Good luck!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)