FORUMS

Proximity sensor issue - can't end calls when screen doesn't wake!

105 posts
Thanks Meter: 13

By Ben-B, Senior Member on 25th November 2012, 11:34 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Ever since my 4x HD was new I've noticed a problem, but it's getting so annoying now I finally thought I should do something about it, and I've contacted LG with a view to sending it off for repair:

When I remove the phone from my ear the proximity sensor usually fails to wake the screen back up, meaning I have no controls to end the call with. Occasionally swiping my finger over the sensors at the top of the screen wake it up, but mostly it takes several attempts, and presses of the screen lock button.

SO annoying when you are leaving someone a voicemail and it's still recording, all they hear at the end of the message is the muffled swipe of a finger and me muttering and swearing at the phone as it carries on recording for another 30 seconds or so!!

Anyone else have this issue??
25th November 2012, 11:52 PM |#2  
Flag Gdansk, Poland
Thanks Meter: 515

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben-B

Ever since my 4x HD was new I've noticed a problem, but it's getting so annoying now I finally thought I should do something about it, and I've contacted LG with a view to sending it off for repair:

When I remove the phone from my ear the proximity sensor usually fails to wake the screen back up, meaning I have no controls to end the call with. Occasionally swiping my finger over the sensors at the top of the screen wake it up, but mostly it takes several attempts, and presses of the screen lock button.

SO annoying when you are leaving someone a voicemail and it's still recording, all they hear at the end of the message is the muffled swipe of a finger and me muttering and swearing at the phone as it carries on recording for another 30 seconds or so!!

Anyone else have this issue??

Mine doesn't awake in the end of calls too... but I thought it was normal

We have an option where we can use "Power button" to turn off calls...

I didn't knew that the proximity sensor was suppose to wake up the disply...
25th November 2012, 11:59 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Hi Rudeas,
Glad it's not just me!
Where is the option to use the power button to end calls?
26th November 2012, 12:05 AM |#4  
Flag Gdansk, Poland
Thanks Meter: 515

More
Quote:

Hi Rudeas,
Glad it's not just me!
Where is the option to use the power button to end calls?

Settings/Accessibility/Power button ends call
The Following User Says Thank You to RuedasLocas For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift RuedasLocas Ad-Free
26th November 2012, 01:49 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
you can set power cut a call

Sent from my LG-P880 using xda premium
26th November 2012, 08:14 AM |#6  
Flag Bristol
Thanks Meter: 1,631

More
Maybe a really daft question, but I presume you haven't put a screen protector on that covers the sensor? Stone of the cheap protectors do and that would stop it working properly.
26th November 2012, 08:47 AM |#7  
OP Senior Member

More
Good thinking, but no, I don't have a.screen protector or anything over It.
26th November 2012, 10:06 PM |#8  
Flag Italy
Thanks Meter: 243

More
To test and eventually to calibrate the proximity sensor, you can use hidden menu (dial 3845#*880#) -> Device Test -> All Auto Test Menu Full -> ALC / Proximity Test.
You can even test the "auto brightness mode" (to test also the light sensor) and "enable proximity wakeLock" (to simulate a call).
To test the sensor just put a finger near the sensor.
There is also a "Calibration" feature to calibrate the sensor if needed.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to italianquadcore For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift italianquadcore Ad-Free
26th November 2012, 10:15 PM |#9  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianquadcore

To test and eventually to calibrate the proximity sensor, you can use hidden menu (dial 3845#*880#) -> Device Test -> All Auto Test Menu Full -> ALC / Proximity Test.
You can even test the "auto brightness mode" (to test also the light sensor) and "enable proximity wakeLock" (to simulate a call).
To test the sensor just put a finger near the sensor.
There is also a "Calibration" feature to calibrate the sensor if needed.

Wow italianquadcore! That is amazing! Firstly I could see by putting my finger over the sensor how poorly it was working. Often it wouldn't notice I had taken my finger away- then I pressed calibrate, and now it notices instantly, every time!!

Thanks loads, I'm assuming it's fixed now!
27th November 2012, 02:39 AM |#10  
Boston
Thanks Meter: 46

More
Quote:

Wow italianquadcore! That is amazing! Firstly I could see by putting my finger over the sensor how poorly it was working. Often it wouldn't notice I had taken my finger away- then I pressed calibrate, and now it notices instantly, every time!!

Thanks loads, I'm assuming it's fixed now!

Italianquadcore is a lifesaver, right?

Made possible by my sexy LG Optimus 4X HD (P880)
20th March 2013, 04:34 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Thumbs up Solved
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTS

Maybe a really daft question, but I presume you haven't put a screen protector on that covers the sensor? Stone of the cheap protectors do and that would stop it working properly.

Thanx a lot, yah it was a screen protector giving trouble to sensor.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)