FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Any way to get USB Mass Storage instead of MTP?

2,747 posts
Thanks Meter: 684
 
Post Reply Email Thread
Not entirely sure what kind of process might be needed, but is it at all possible to use the older method of transferring files between a computer to an Android device (USB Mass Storage) instead of MTP?

MTP (in my experience) is... not ideal in most cases. File transfers are seemingly slower, can only do one thing at a time (I think if your transferring a file, you can't even browse other folders on the MTP device), and sometimes file transfers just get stuck for no reason. Was trying to copy over a few PDF's to my N10 and it seems to just hang randomly, had to reboot the device 4 times already (twice to just create and rename a folder).
The Following User Says Thank You to espionage724 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift espionage724 Ad-Free
1st December 2012, 07:57 AM |#2  
corporal_hades's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 53
 
More
what about the option in settings -> storage -> and tap the menu button on the top right and select USB Computer connection?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to corporal_hades For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift corporal_hades Ad-Free
1st December 2012, 08:09 AM |#3  
NovaFox238's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 20
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by espionage724

Not entirely sure what kind of process might be needed, but is it at all possible to use the older method of transferring files between a computer to an Android device (USB Mass Storage) instead of MTP?

MTP (in my experience) is... not ideal in most cases. File transfers are seemingly slower, can only do one thing at a time (I think if your transferring a file, you can't even browse other folders on the MTP device), and sometimes file transfers just get stuck for no reason. Was trying to copy over a few PDF's to my N10 and it seems to just hang randomly, had to reboot the device 4 times already (twice to just create and rename a folder).

I had the same problem at first, but I realized my USB ports on the front end of my PC arent USB 2.0, so I plugged it into the back, and works like a charm. Just a thought.
6th December 2012, 02:48 AM |#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 33
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by corporal_hades

what about the option in settings -> storage -> and tap the menu button on the top right and select USB Computer connection?

I already did that and tried both options (MTP & PTP), but the N10 does not show up on my computer at all in either case, with or without USB debugging. I have had no such problems with my other android devices (all still running gingerbread, in case that matters).

My N10 is rooted and my computer runs xubuntu 12.04; I don't have a window box to test... Any suggestions? Thanks!
The Following User Says Thank You to case-sensitive For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift case-sensitive Ad-Free
6th December 2012, 03:17 AM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 18
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by case-sensitive

I already did that and tried both options (MTP & PTP), but the N10 does not show up on my computer at all in either case, with or without USB debugging. I have had no such problems with my other android devices (all still running gingerbread, in case that matters).

My N10 is rooted and my computer runs xubuntu 12.04; I don't have a window box to test... Any suggestions? Thanks!

Unfortunately the answer is no.

There was a long discussion on the Galaxy Nexus forums about it a while back.

I also wish for a usb mass storage option for compatibility with radios for playing music. They don't read mtp/ptp for any generic one I've come across.
6th December 2012, 03:29 AM |#6  
espionage724's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 684
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceribaen

Unfortunately the answer is no.

There was a long discussion on the Galaxy Nexus forums about it a while back.

I also wish for a usb mass storage option for compatibility with radios for playing music. They don't read mtp/ptp for any generic one I've come across.

Hmm, but what's the main thing stopping this from being possible? I thought I heard of a few JB devices that were able to get USB Mass Storage (LG Optimus G I think has a method, or whatever the phone is that has similar parts to a Nexus 4), and a Galaxy Tab I used to have had Mass Storage in ICS.
6th December 2012, 03:52 AM |#7  
Inactive Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 2,780
 
More
Mass storage is possible when the sdcard volume is actually a separate disk. On the Nexus 10 this is an "emulated" sdcard and cannot use USB mass storage safely because that protocol gives exclusive control to PC.

The easiest solution is to use one of the many wireless transfer apps like AirDroid.

Another option for Linux users if you really want a wired transfer is to use adbfs. This is a FUSE wrapper around the usb android debug protocol.
https://github.com/spion/adbfs-rootless
adbfs would give you seamless mounting just like USB Mass Storage.


Another solution, though not a seamless mount, is QtADB: http://qtadb.wordpress.com/
This is another wrapper around the usb android debug protocol.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to dalingrin For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dalingrin Ad-Free
1st February 2013, 10:58 PM |#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
Thumbs up
Oh my god, thank you for the AirDroid recommendation. Holy crap is this program useful with my new nexus 4.
The Following User Says Thank You to ardinmcallister For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ardinmcallister Ad-Free
20th March 2013, 07:44 PM |#9  
PR0XiMA's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag /dev_hdd0/home/ - Oslo
Thanks Meter: 63
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalingrin

Mass storage is possible when the sdcard volume is actually a separate disk. On the Nexus 10 this is an "emulated" sdcard and cannot use USB mass storage safely because that protocol gives exclusive control to PC.

The easiest solution is to use one of the many wireless transfer apps like AirDroid.

Another option for Linux users if you really want a wired transfer is to use adbfs. This is a FUSE wrapper around the usb android debug protocol.
https://github.com/spion/adbfs-rootless
adbfs would give you seamless mounting just like USB Mass Storage.


Another solution, though not a seamless mount, is QtADB: http://qtadb.wordpress.com/
This is another wrapper around the usb android debug protocol.

Thank you so much! AirDroid is genius!
18th September 2013, 08:17 AM |#10  
Member
Thanks Meter: 10
 
More
Tutorial MTP storage to USB storage: accidental solution!
Quote:
Originally Posted by espionage724

Not entirely sure what kind of process might be needed, but is it at all possible to use the older method of transferring files between a computer to an Android device (USB Mass Storage) instead of MTP?

MTP (in my experience) is... not ideal in most cases. File transfers are seemingly slower, can only do one thing at a time (I think if your transferring a file, you can't even browse other folders on the MTP device), and sometimes file transfers just get stuck for no reason. Was trying to copy over a few PDF's to my N10 and it seems to just hang randomly, had to reboot the device 4 times already (twice to just create and rename a folder).

dear espionage,

i just wanted to share this with you in case it would be helpful. in fact, you might even have more technical know-how to find out how i accidentally managed this useful fix. first, the reason i was looking for this MTP to USB storage was my habit of synchronizing my thumb-drive to my desktop using any free synching software. this of course, can be only be done when the storage device is recognized as a DRIVE. unfortunately, i believe with the updating of the OS to 4.1 onwards, the USB storage option has been removed, and now only access to MTP is possible. the bad side to this is that one's device is recognized as a portable media device and this means i can no longer synch like i did before the contents of the SD card to my desktop.

second, i found the solution accidentally by installing MultiMount-SD v.2.5 into my Sony Xperia V (LT25i). accidentally i say, because when i clicked on it for the first time, it wouldn't work. it showed a help tip saying that i should trying enabling what it called an MTP fix provided by the program. i did this, restarted the program and guess what happened. there occurred a looping sequence (i guess unending) device recognition-mount and unmount (the PC sounded this off many times), since there was no end to it, i decided to UNINSTALL the program even while the recognition loop was going on. in the meantime one could see a drive appearing in the EXPLORER with a (?), then it would appear with an assigned drive letter, then finally disappear, and so on.

i successfully uninstalled the MultiMount apk, and surprisingly even with the message that the device wasn't properly recognized or installed, i could now connect my Xperia and it mounts as a USB storage device and no longer MTP. to test this 'accident', i tried connecting it to my desktop, running Windows 7, and it worked without any hitches! I don't really mind losing the MTP option, sides it's very limited in its connectivity with the PC. Another bonus, is despite this, i can still communicate with my device through the MyPhoneExplorer program that allows one to send text messages and other stuff. This was one wonderful accident.

oh, one last thing, even with rebooting my phone, the setup seems to have become a 'permanent fix'. now, when the device is connected one sees in the activated portions in the top menu saying: USB Storage - SD card connected to PC. This was never there before... And i wonder what MultiMountSD must have left permanently to allow my Xperia V to now connect as USB storage. Yahoo!!!

i hope though, you could see what the technical side of this accident is, so that somehow something more stable could be done or programmed without having to go through the 'accidental' procedure i have detailed above.

ciao,

bodega1968
21st September 2013, 03:03 PM |#11  
XxLordxX's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag Campinas
Thanks Meter: 1,503
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by case-sensitive

I already did that and tried both options (MTP & PTP), but the N10 does not show up on my computer at all in either case, with or without USB debugging. I have had no such problems with my other android devices (all still running gingerbread, in case that matters).

My N10 is rooted and my computer runs xubuntu 12.04; I don't have a window box to test... Any suggestions? Thanks!

I had this issue with Ubuntu 12.04 too, after I updated to 13.04 it started to work like a charm . You can also try changing the rules in your PC, you can find how to do it in the Google website .

"This Story Ends Where It Began" - Octavarium (Dream Theater)
Sent from my GT-I9505
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
mass, mtp, storage, usb

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes