No SU binary installed?

746 posts
Thanks Meter: 68

By ilogik, Senior Member on 6th December 2012, 03:22 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
My phone was working fine until this morning when I tried to start wifitether and got the message "no SU binary installed" Does this mean I lost root somehow and have to root it again?
6th December 2012, 03:28 PM |#2  
Flag Denver
Thanks Meter: 113

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilogik

My phone was working fine until this morning when I tried to start wifitether and got the message "no SU binary installed" Does this mean I lost root somehow and have to root it again?

Its possible that you removed root permissions solely for wifitether by accident. Uninstall and reinstall then when it fires up make sure you select allow when superuser popup comes on. If you know your way around you can avoid the uninstall by simply going into superuser app and fixing permissions for wifi tether. If not then you'll need to boot into recovery and reflash supersu as you did during the original root process.
hope this helps!
6th December 2012, 03:33 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
When I open superSU it tells me there is no SU binary and SuperSU cannot install it.
6th December 2012, 03:47 PM |#4  
Flag Denver

More
Quote:

When I open superSU it tells me there is no SU binary and SuperSU cannot install it.

Ok thats your first problem. you should NOT be using SuperSU app, its not compatible with the SU binaries we have installed on this phone. Until further notice this app is NOT compatible and wont be supported. Do to the binaries we used during the root process you must use the "superuser" app from the market. Some people have hacked in different binaries but unless it is specified that SuperSU is compatible then always is superuser.

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesin

Ok thats your first problem. you should NOT be using SuperSU app, its not compatible with the SU binaries we have installed on this phone. Until further notice this app is NOT compatible and wont be supported. Do to the binaries we used during the root process you must use the "superuser" app from the market. Some people have hacked in different binaries but unless it is specified that SuperSU is compatible then always is superuser.

Also if you have difficulties removing it then you may have to use tibu to freeze then uninstall SuperSU. If that doesnt work your only option will be ADB, it may just uninstall fine it may not it depends. But you need to get rid of it.
6th December 2012, 05:58 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:

I was having issues like this. I had to swap between supersu and superuser. But it just never worked right. Once I flashed a new Rom it worked just fine.

sent from my rooted DNA
6th December 2012, 06:09 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 45

More
Quote:

---------- Post added at 08:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:44 AM ----------

Also if you have difficulties removing it then you may have to use tibu to freeze then uninstall SuperSU. If that doesnt work your only option will be ADB, it may just uninstall fine it may not it depends. But you need to get rid of it.

Given the phone is S-On the only real way to ensure a permanent, functional root on stock would be to first remove the SuperSU binary and app. It has been confirmed that SuperSU does not work.

This can be done directly from TWRP's file manager or ADB with the unsecured kernel:

The binary can be found at: /system/xbin/su
And the app can be found at: /system/app/superuser.apk

BOTH FILES must be removed. Freezing SuperSU will not work

Next download and then flash the following zip in TWRP or CWM:
Superuser Binary+App

At this point you should have fully functional root on stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by S121Guy

I was having issues like this. I had to swap between supersu and superuser. But it just never worked right. Once I flashed a new Rom it worked just fine.

sent from my rooted DNA

Again, simply flashing Superuser over SuperSU will not work, the app and binary must be removed before flashing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jarocks For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jarocks Ad-Free
6th December 2012, 06:16 PM |#7  
Flag Denver

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarocks

Given the phone is S-On the only real way to ensure a permanent, functional root on stock would be to first remove the SuperSU binary and app.

This can be done directly from TWRP's file manager or ADB with the unsecured kernel:
The binary can be found at: /system/xbin/su
And the app can be found at: /system/app/superuser.apk

BOTH MUST be removed to avoid any issues

Next download and flash the following zip in TWRP or CWM:
http://downloads.noshufou.netdna-cdn.com/superuser/Superuser-3.2-RC3-arm-signed.zip

At this point you should have fully functional root on stock

Your methods will remove the ability to provide root permissions to any apps...?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

Quote:

Your methods will remove the ability to provide root permissions to any apps...?

You need the binaries and the app to get root perm on anything from within the rom. I don't recommend this.

6th December 2012, 06:22 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 45

More
Quote:

---------- Post added at 11:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

You need the binaries and the app to get root perm on anything from within the rom. I don't recommend this.

The zip contains both the superuser app and corresponding su binary.
6th December 2012, 07:13 PM |#9  
Flag Denver

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarocks

The zip contains both the superuser app and corresponding su binary.

I overlooked the zip portion of your comment. I thought that you were saying to simply remove the app and the binary and reboot. However the binaries wont load from SuperSU in the first place so you should eb good to just get rid of SuperSU and install superuser. If everyone has been following the recommended rooting steps that is. But if that were the case noone would be installing SuperSU
6th December 2012, 08:24 PM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
My system folder only contains /bin and nothing else. is there another system folder I should be in?
The Following User Says Thank You to ilogik For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ilogik Ad-Free
6th December 2012, 10:09 PM |#11  
Flag Denver

More
Quote:

My system folder only contains /bin and nothing else. is there another system folder I should be in?

are you in adb or are you using a file explorer?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
question

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)