FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[TOOL] Native ADB and Fastboot Flashable Zip

296 posts
Thanks Meter: 324

Post Reply Email Thread
Hello All,
I have taken the liberty of re-packaging the adb binary and fastboot binaries so they will work naively on Android into a flashable zip file. With these tools, you can theoretically use your Android device (plus a USB OTG Cable) to connect to another Android Device. If your device has a native USB port (such as the ASUS Transformers), it will work as well.

As not to conflict with the official adb in /system/bin (which does not work the same way), I renamed these to "kadb" and "kfastboot". You just need to supply your own Terminal Emulator (such as connectbot) to use.

Example Uses

1) Unlock a bootloader on a Nexus device (erases all data on the target device)
kfastboot oem unlock

2) Lock a bootloader
kfastboot oem lock

3) Boot a recovery
kfastboot boot /sdcard/path/to/recovery.img

4) Flash a recovery
kfastboot flash recovery /sdcard/path/to/recovery.img

5) Reboot into the bootloader
kadb reboot bootloader

6) Shell
kadb shell

7) Reboot into recovery
kadb reboot recovery

8) logcat
kadb logcat

9) Sideload an APK file
kadb install /sdcard/path/to/APK.APK

10) Push a file
kadb push /sdcard/path/to/file /sdcard/path/to/destination

Please remember that these are taking place on the remote device connected via USB. Most, if not ALL ADB commands are supported. You can even modify most linux based one-click root methods (by changing all "adb" references to "kadb" and "fastboot" with "kfastboot") and run them via shell. Its also perfect for remote debugging of embedded Android Systems. Hell, the uses are endless!

Installation Instructions
Note : You do not need to be rooted, you do however need a custom recovery or temp boot a custom recovery.
1) Flash the attached Zip File via any Recovery such as CWM or TWRP
2) Reboot and install a Terminal Emulator, if using ConnectBot, you should choose the "local" option.
3) Connect a device and test

This should support any ARM based device, so far I have tested it on my ASUS Nexus 7 and ASUS Transformer 700 (Stock/Rooted)

HAVE FUN!!!
Attached Files
File Type: zip ADB_FastbootInstaller.zip - [Click for QR Code] (983.4 KB, 7498 views)
The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to KMyers For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KMyers Ad-Free

7th December 2012, 02:29 AM |#2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 3,019

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMyers

Hello All,
I have taken the liberty of re-packaging the adb binary and fastboot binaries so they will work naively on Android into a flashable zip file. With these tools, you can theoretically use your Android device (plus a USB OTG Cable) to connect to another Android Device. If your device has a native USB port (such as the ASUS Transformers), it will work as well.

As not to conflict with the official adb in /system/bin (which does not work the same way), I renamed these to "kadb" and "kfastboot". You just need to supply your own Terminal Emulator (such as connectbot) to use.

Example Uses

1) Unlock a bootloader on a Nexus device (erases all data on the target device)
kfastboot oem unlock

2) Lock a bootloader
kfastboot oem lock

3) Boot a recovery
kfastboot boot /sdcard/path/to/recovery.img

4) Flash a recovery
kfastboot flash recovery /sdcard/path/to/recovery.img

5) Reboot into the bootloader
kadb reboot bootloader

6) Shell
kadb shell

7) Reboot into recovery
kadb reboot recovery

8) logcat
kadb logcat

9) Sideload an APK file
kadb install /sdcard/path/to/APK.APK

10) Push a file
kadb push /sdcard/path/to/file /sdcard/path/to/destination

Please remember that these are taking place on the remote device connected via USB. Most, if not ALL ADB commands are supported. You can even modify most linux based one-click root methods (by changing all "adb" references to "kadb" and "fastboot" with "kfastboot") and run them via shell. Its also perfect for remote debugging of embedded Android Systems. Hell, the uses are endless!

Installation Instructions
Note : You do not need to be rooted, you do however need a custom recovery or temp boot a custom recovery.
1) Flash the attached Zip File via any Recovery such as CWM or TWRP
2) Reboot and install a Terminal Emulator, if using ConnectBot, you should choose the "local" option.
3) Connect a device and test

This should support any ARM based device, so far I have tested it on my ASUS Nexus 7 and ASUS Transformer 700 (Stock/Rooted)

HAVE FUN!!!

Very interesting and nice work, certainly a lot of interesting possibilities for apps that could be written to take advantage of these features.
7th December 2012, 02:36 AM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 112

More
Awesome Post. Thanks Alot.Need this tool very much .
7th December 2012, 02:21 PM |#4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Miami, Florida

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimp208

Very interesting and nice work, certainly a lot of interesting possibilities for apps that could be written to take advantage of these features.

Yeh... I can picture one of you going to a store and rooting all of the Demo Tablets or Phones with your phones. With a small amount of effort, one can port ZergRush or a few of the "adb backup restore" exploits over to run naively on your Phone or Tablet.

No GameStop, BestBuy, Sprint Store, T-Mobile Store, AT&T Store, CompUSA or WalMart is safe
The Following User Says Thank You to KMyers For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KMyers Ad-Free
7th December 2012, 10:00 PM |#5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 3,019

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Yeh... I can picture one of you going to a store and rooting all of the Demo Tablets or Phones with your phones. With a small amount of effort, one can port ZergRush or a few of the "adb backup restore" exploits over to run naively on your Phone or Tablet.

No GameStop, BestBuy, Sprint Store, T-Mobile Store, AT&T Store, CompUSA or WalMart is safe

Or Verizon Store, or any other store that sells smartphones and tablets . You could make a app that has a run button that when pressed automatically run's a root exploit such as Zerg Rush, then permanently flashes a custom recovery, then a custom ROM of your choice all one after the other. Think of it as mix of z4root, EZ-Recovery, and ROM manager all rolled into one. Only problem is not every device supports fastboot so some devices would be left out. Also wondering if you wouldn't mind clarifying if the target device must be running a custom recovery or the host device must be running a custom recovery for this to work?
7th December 2012, 10:21 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Miami, Florida

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by shimp208

eft out. Also wondering if you wouldn't mind clarifying if the target device must be running a custom recovery or the host device must be running a custom recovery for this to work?

Hello,
Just the host device needs a custom recovery only to install the tools (this can be perm flashed or temp flashed (fastboot boot recovery.img). Once the tools are installed, the recovery is no longer used.

The target device only needs USB Debugging enabled.

You are also correct in your statement that not all phones respond to the Fastboot protocol. The other tools such as Odin and NVFlash are not so easy to package. Some devices such as the ASUS Transformer TF700 have a Fastboot mode, assuming you unlock the bootloader. Fastboot is the standard on all HTC, Sony and any phone bearing the sacred "Nexus" moniker. It is also favored among "cheap/knockoff" devices.

There are several root tools that simply use adb to work.
13th December 2012, 06:15 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 116

More
Talking What?!
Quote:

Hello All,

HAVE FUN!!!

I'm truly stumped as to why you don't have pages of thank you posts here but I wanted to add mine. So often I cannot get to my PC or just want more freedom but need to use Fastboot. Now I'm free! Thank you so much! I
14th December 2012, 04:56 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member
Flag Miami, Florida

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainabba

I'm truly stumped as to why you don't have pages of thank you posts here but I wanted to add mine. So often I cannot get to my PC or just want more freedom but need to use Fastboot. Now I'm free! Thank you so much! I

Thanks,
I guess the reason many have not downloaded this is because it was stuck in one of the lesser active sections of XDA-Developers. I assume that most people visit the portal and device specific development threads. Aside from being featured on the portal, not many ways to get people in here.
7th February 2013, 06:09 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Just tried this out on my nexus 7 running ubuntu, this is indeed awesome, thanks for compiling it
27th February 2013, 07:10 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Question
Hi, just came across this whilst trying to find a solution to flashing a custom recovery on an Nexus 7 that i cannot get to a computer. (its in my car). this would fit my needs perfectly but i just cannot get it to work. wondering if im missing something.

ive tried using another N7, and also my Galaxy Nexus. i plug in using an OTG cable on host device, then a USB cable to the target device. the target device starts to charge, and it shows debugging icon on notification bar.

Then try "kadb devices" but shows no devices. could it be to do with the adb binaries needing updating? (current adb is 1.0.31, this one is 1.0.29).. All devices are running stock rooted 4.2.2 (except the target device, that im trying to root.)

i have a friend interested too, he tried with a 4.2.2 Nexus 7 to a HTC One X and is seeing similar issue.

hope theres an easy fix, or something obvious im doing wrong.

Cheers
Ross.
27th February 2013, 09:51 PM |#11  
OP Senior Member
Flag Miami, Florida

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmclardy

Hi, just came across this whilst trying to find a solution to flashing a custom recovery on an Nexus 7 that i cannot get to a computer. (its in my car). this would fit my needs perfectly but i just cannot get it to work. wondering if im missing something.

ive tried using another N7, and also my Galaxy Nexus. i plug in using an OTG cable on host device, then a USB cable to the target device. the target device starts to charge, and it shows debugging icon on notification bar.

Then try "kadb devices" but shows no devices. could it be to do with the adb binaries needing updating? (current adb is 1.0.31, this one is 1.0.29).. All devices are running stock rooted 4.2.2 (except the target device, that im trying to root.)

i have a friend interested too, he tried with a 4.2.2 Nexus 7 to a HTC One X and is seeing similar issue.

hope theres an easy fix, or something obvious im doing wrong.

Cheers
Ross.

Hello Ross,
The new "secure adb" that was introduced in Android 4.2.2 will not work at this time. You may be able to try running "adb devices" at root to see if it works for you. If not, you can manually reboot it into recovery and use kfastboot to flash the new recovery
The Following User Says Thank You to KMyers For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift KMyers Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)