FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Headphone Jack is incredibly sensitive to movement, just mine?

26 posts
Thanks Meter: 6

By Dogahn, Junior Member on 10th December 2012, 10:17 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
So I use the FM tuner... a lot. Like 5 days a week 4 - 7 hrs a day and then some on the weekends whenever I'm working in the garage or out hiking around. As such I find it is incredibly hard to find headphones that work with our phone. Sure any set of 3.5mm jacks will work but it doesn't take much to disconnect the FM Tuner and depending on what FM Tuner app you're using really changes what results of that jostling. A lot of headphones, especially the straight jack style are nearly incompatible. Just walking is enough to create the disconnect. It's almost like I can't get the plug in all the way but the thing is bottomed out when I look at it. Fixing it usually involves a short unplug and reinsert then waiting for the FM Tuner app to reactivate. However depending on the headphones being used this could work for 5min or 5s (and lately it seems to be the latter more and more often). I do have much greater success when using 90 degree plugs, although lately even with that I've been using a rubber band to sure that the plug isn't being tugged and disconnecting.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar issues, I kind of wonder if maybe I got some lint in there or something but I use an otterbox with the nice silicon plugs that covers the jack up when not in use so that seems like a stretch.

Dogan
I did search!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dogahn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Dogahn Ad-Free

11th December 2012, 12:32 AM |#2  
Flag Colorado Springs
Thanks Meter: 68

More
I meant reply but oops you get a thanks! Bonus!

I use an FM tuner (both from Sense ROMs and CM7) and have not had the issues you've described. I don't use it nearly as frequently as yourself though as it sounds progressive it's likely not a manufacturer defect. I'd vote something wrong with the jack whether blockage or HW wearing out.

Try cleaning it.

Sent from my PG06100 using xda app-developers app
11th December 2012, 12:47 AM |#3  
Recognized Developer
Flag Garrett, IN
Thanks Meter: 38,132

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonkway

I meant reply but oops you get a thanks! Bonus!

I use an FM tuner (both from Sense ROMs and CM7) and have not had the issues you've described. I don't use it nearly as frequently as yourself though as it sounds progressive it's likely not a manufacturer defect. I'd vote something wrong with the jack whether blockage or HW wearing out.

Try cleaning it.

Sent from my PG06100 using xda app-developers app

Use a q-tip and rubbing alcohol of you are gonna clean it. I've never had those issues either. I use mine every day, mine is a little sensitive, a small tug will stop the music but not near as bad as you are experiencing.
11th December 2012, 05:02 AM |#4  
Flag Michigan
Thanks Meter: 7,399

More
I had this same issue on a friends Shift. After a lot of trial and error, we figured out that it was the Tip of the Headphone Jack. It was too long in some cases. So we started to compare a bunch of them. What we found was really weird, but interesting. It seems there is no continuity between Headphone Manufacturers as to how long the Tip of the Jack is. Some were as much as an 1/8" longer. Which is an issue because the jack never seats. So it will pop out at odd times. Basically what we did to solve the issue in his case was find one that worked, and seated well in the socket. Then we measured it, and filed down one of the ones that didn't work correctly. As soon as we did that it was all good. But beware some of the cheaper ones also distorted the sound after we did that. In a few cases we were able to solve that by smoothing the end with progressively finer sand paper. But it was a lot of work. Much easier to just buy the correct size. Just wanted to share a bit of info. Hope that helps .
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to prboy1969 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift prboy1969 Ad-Free
12th December 2012, 12:44 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I have had a problem like this in the past too. For me it was the brand of headphone jack that I was using. I found that some plugs were not going in far enough and contact was not being maintained. Also, make sure your case, if you have one on, is not preventing the plug from inserting all the way.
12th December 2012, 05:45 PM |#6  
Jackson,MI
Thanks Meter: 62

More
Prboy is right on. I have also had to file down some of my headphones. Careful not to get em too short though if you do.
The Following User Says Thank You to junpei1337 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift junpei1337 Ad-Free
18th December 2012, 06:36 AM |#7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Still haven't gotten around to trying any of these suggestions. Working for a brown clad shipping company gets kinda hectic in December.

Dogan
People and der boxes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dogahn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Dogahn Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)