FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[KERNEL][ARC/S] LuPuS JB MULTIBOOT [LINARO 4.7][CM10 BASED][11-12-12]

3,232 posts
Thanks Meter: 14,519

By wedgess, Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive Recognized Developer on 11th December 2012, 12:07 AM
Thread Closed Email Thread
LuPuS MultiBoot JB Kernel

Instaed of updating the other LuPuS kernel thread as Multiboot i'm posting multiboot kernel here on its own thread so any questions problems can be asked and anwsered here, As I don't have the device I'm asking all of you to help eachother out, if or when I can;t respond. Multiboot was created by CosmicDan on the Xperia PLAY thread big props to him for getting this working. I'm just proting it to your ARC & ARCS.

Please read this thread fully before flashing this kernel.

Disclaimer

Code:
#include 
/*
* Your warranty is now void.. LOL I guess you knew it already.
* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, you getting dumped or you getting fired because your phone 
* bootloops and alarm does not go off. Please do some research if you have any  
* concerns about features included in my kernel before using it! YOU and only 
* YOU are choosing to make these modifications.
*/

#if
You have a question post it in the thread,
Instead of Pm'ing me, as other users may
experience you problems
#endif

Multiboot Aware Info

Ok so first off you must make ROMS multiboot aware by editing the updater-script.
Do NOT install a ROM ZIP in Slot 2 or 3 until it is marked "multiboot-aware". [/U]Otherwise the ROM will format/install to your internal, no matter *what* you do[/B]

To make the changes ill give an example of PACMan ROM

NON-MULTIBOOT AWARE

Code:
mount("yaffs2", "MTD", "system", "/system");
package_extract_file("system/bin/backuptool.sh", "/tmp/backuptool.sh");
package_extract_file("system/bin/backuptool.functions", "/tmp/backuptool.functions");
set_perm(0, 0, 0777, "/tmp/backuptool.sh");
set_perm(0, 0, 0644, "/tmp/backuptool.functions");
run_program("/tmp/backuptool.sh", "backup");
unmount("/system");
show_progress(0.500000, 0);
format("yaffs2", "MTD", "system", "0", "/system");
package_extract_dir("system", "/system");
symlink("Roboto-Bold.ttf", "/system/fonts/DroidSans-Bold.ttf");
symlink("Roboto-Regular.ttf", "/system/fonts/DroidSans.ttf");
symlink("busybox", "/system/xbin/[", "/system/xbin/[[",
        "/system/xbin/adjtimex", "/system/xbin/arp", "/system/xbin/ash",
        "/system/xbin/awk", "/system/xbin/base64", "/system/xbin/basename",
Change to---

MULTIBOOT AWARE

Code:
show_progress(0.500000, 0);
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "mount", "/system");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "rm", "-Rf", "/system/*");
package_extract_dir("system", "/system");
symlink("Roboto-Bold.ttf", "/system/fonts/DroidSans-Bold.ttf");
symlink("Roboto-Regular.ttf", "/system/fonts/DroidSans.ttf");
symlink("busybox", "/system/xbin/[", "/system/xbin/[[",
        "/system/xbin/adjtimex", "/system/xbin/arp", "/system/xbin/ash",
        "/system/xbin/awk", "/system/xbin/base64", "/system/xbin/basename",
U don't need to remove backuptool I just did

Its just this that needs to be changed the above is an example so people dont get confused

This

Code:
format("yaffs2", "MTD", "system", "0", "/system");
To This
Code:
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "mount", "/system");
run_program("/sbin/busybox", "rm", "-Rf", "/system/*");
Bugs (important):

- Native App2SD is broken and unreliable. I have tried to fix it but I don't know why it's happening. Do yourself a favor and switch to Link2SD with an ext partition - it's faster, more reliable and allows sharing apps between different slots. (Tip: After installing Link2SD, use it's settings to change 'Default Install Location' to 'Internal' to stop Android ROM from installing apps on SDCard automatically)
- If your ROM has a "Reboot to Recovery" option, using it will load a broken Recovery where no mounts work. I can't fix this, so simply don't use it (just use Vol-Down on normal reboot).

After you made the changes to the ROMS updater script that ROM can now be flashed in Slot 2 or Slot 3.
To get around a ROM not being multiboot aware (if you want to install it in Slot 2 or 3), simply install in Internal (Slot 1) as normal, then set up the second or third slot with "Copy from Internal" instead of "Blank". Then of course you can reformat and reinstall on Internal.
Make sure your SDCard is free of errors. Do a "CHKDSK /f x:" (Check for Errors on x drive and auto-fix) in Windows. Also do this again if you do a battery pull or get hard-reboot in slot 2 or 3 (I will try to add options for this later, see Future Plans section at bottom).
To delete a slot, manually remove the system2/userdata2 (for slot 2) IMG files from the root of your SDCard (will add a maintenance menu option later to do this).
*Never* unmount SDCard in Recovery for Slot 2 and 3. But Mounting USB Storage is 100% fine.
...can't think of anything else right now.

First-time users - Enter Multiboot Menu (Vol-Down key) and go to Internal > Recovery, then format system, data and cache before doing anything else. Very important.

Added Io-schedulers --
  • - Noop
    - Anticipatory
    - Deadline
    - CFQ
    - BFQ
    - SIO

Added Governors --
  • - lagfree
    - brazillianwax
    - smoothass
    - scary
    - savagedzen
    - smartass
    - smartassv2
    - interactivex
    - minmax
    - + the 5or6 that are there with FXP

Lulzactive - Thanks to Tegrak
    Based on Interactive and Smartass. When workload is greater than or equal to 60%, the governor scales up
    CPU to next higher step. When workload is less than 60%, governor scales down CPU to next lower step.
    When screen is off, frequency is locked to global scaling minimum frequency

Virtuous
    Virtuous is a modded smartassV2 which gives even more battery time then smartassV2

Intellidemand - Thanks to faux123
    This is an intelligent ondemand that enters browsing mode to limit max frequency when GPU is idling,
    and (exits browsing mode) behaves like ondemand when GPU is busy; to deliver performance for gaming and such.
    Intellidemand does not jump to highest frequency when screen is off.

Lazy - Thanks to Ezekeel
    The Idea here is to eliminate any instabilities caused by fast frequency switching by ondemand.
    Lazy governor polls more often than ondemand, but changes frequency only after completing min_time_state
    on a step overriding sampling interval.
    Lazy also has a screenoff_maxfreq parameter which when enabled will cause the governor to always
    select the maximum frequency while the screen is off.

-Ondemandx:
    Basically an ondemand with suspend/wake profiles. This governor is supposed to be a battery friendly ondemand. When screen is off, max frequency is capped at 500 mhz. Even though ondemand is the default governor in many kernel and is considered safe/stable, the support for ondemand/ondemandX depends on CPU capability to do fast frequency switching which are very low latency frequency transitions. I have read somewhere that the performance of ondemand/ondemandx were significantly varying for different i/o schedulers. This is not true for most of the other governors. I personally feel ondemand/ondemandx goes best with SIO I/O scheduler.

-Lionheart:
    Is a conservative-based governor. The tunables (such as the thresholds and sampling rate) were changed so the governor behaves more like the performance one, at the cost of battery as the scaling is very aggressive.

To 'experience' Lionheart using conservative, try these tweaks:
    sampling_rate:10000 or 20000 or 50000, whichever you feel is safer. (transition latency of the CPU is something below 10ms/10,000uS hence using 10,000 might not be safe).
    up_threshold:60
    down_threshold:30
    freq_step:5
    Lionheart goes well with deadline i/o scheduler. When it comes to smoothness (not considering battery drain), a tuned conservative delivers more as compared to a tuned ondemand.

BadAss Governor:
    Badass removes all of this "fast peaking" to the max frequency. Badass will also take the gpu load into consideration. If the gpu is moderately busy it will bypass the above check and clock the cpu with 1024Mhz. If the gpu is crushed under load, badass will lift the restrictions to the cpu.

Superbad -
    A "superbad" super smooth rendition of a highly optimized "smartass" governor!

Darkside -
    A "slightly more agressive smart" optimized governor!
  • -SLQB - (SLAB allocator with Queue)-(both)
    This memory allocator is designed for small number of CPUs system (such as desktop or smart phone devices). This allocator is design to be simple and it is optimized for using order-0 pages as much as possible (order-0 pages are the simplest therefore quickest type of memory in a Linux system to allocate).

• CosmicDan - For the amazing MultiBoot
    paxChristos
    FXP - Jerpelea - Sources
    DooMLoRD - Everything he's done for Xperia
    Sinkster - For testing
    tempest918 - For the New Logo
    Anyone else I have left out

Post 2 Contains Downloads And Changelogs / Whats Included

Kernel Sources Branch jellybean
https://github.com/garwedgess/semc-kernel-msm7x30
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to wedgess For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wedgess Ad-Free

11th December 2012, 12:09 AM |#2  
OP Retired Forum Moderator / Inactive Recognized Developer
Flag Dublin, Ireland

Donate to Me
More
Changelog -
Code:

Initial Release (11-12-12)

- Completely Cleaned and re worked kernel from original cm10 LuPuS

- Built with Linaro 4.7
- Properly and nicely optimized for Linaro
- MultiBoot kernel (3 ROMS so far) Thanks @CosmicDan
- Recovery fixed no more "DANCING" - Thank @skritchz
- Tiny RCU
- SLQB Memory Allocator
- Cleancache
- VDD Control
- Lots of Governors list is in OP
- 6 IO schedulers Noop, Deadline,, CF,Q BFQ SIO (updated to newest) & V(R)
- Thumbbe
- Image inatead of zImage
- Compressed
- 0% Battery Fix thanks "Bazoocaze
- Updated LZO
- Patched LZO
- OC to 1.6 (removed 2ghs due to danger of destroying motherboard)
- USB OTG
- CIFS
- TUNS
- KSM
- Wifi lockon and Range tweaked
-Google snappy Compression & Decompression
- Possibly missed out a few things will add them as I think of them

If you like my work please consider buying me a beer or something else
by clicking the DONATE ME button, of course it isn't needed but greatly appreciated and keeps me motivated.
[SIZE="7"]

Downloads

LuPuS-jB-Multiboot_ARC_&_ARCS.img

MD5 = 47b4b565fe4d23095d43d32019d917d7

Make sure your md5 matches before complaining kernel does not work

Please Click the Thanks button
Attached Files
File Type: zip cm-ti-wlan_signed-ARC-multiboot.zip - [Click for QR Code] (223.7 KB, 435 views)
File Type: zip CIFS-FUSE-USB-NTFS.zip - [Click for QR Code] (410.3 KB, 208 views)
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to wedgess For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wedgess Ad-Free
11th December 2012, 12:30 AM |#3  
Flag Hanoi
Thanks Meter: 115

More
Man, u make this device come to a new level

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to CarrotAk23 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CarrotAk23 Ad-Free
11th December 2012, 12:40 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 27

More
Has anyone try this with Cm10 rom or Miui Jb rom ??
11th December 2012, 01:16 AM |#5  
Flag Dublin, Ireland

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by XnightX

Has anyone try this with Cm10 rom or Miui Jb rom ??

Id suggest trying it out yourself, if u want to install cm10 as your internal rom(slot1) u dont need to change the updater-script. Just needs to be changed for slot 2 and 3.

Might make it better if people helped eachother out and posted edited updater-scripts up.

Actually maybe if any MODS see this they could give me the 3rd post and I could add updater-scripts that users post, to make it less intimidating.

Sent from my GT-I9300 On Official JB
11th December 2012, 02:41 AM |#6  
Flag Hidden Leaf Village
Thanks Meter: 13,269

Donate to Me
More
You made my day

Sent from my Xperia T using tapatalk 2
11th December 2012, 05:48 AM |#7  
Recognized Themer
Flag Kolkata
Thanks Meter: 1,523

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedgess

LuPuS MultiBoot JB Kernel

Wow!! This is amazing!!

Downloading JB ROMS now, in the mean time just wanted to know whether this kernel has the same bugs as CosmicDan's Turbo kernel or not?
11th December 2012, 07:29 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 382

More
Sorry.. noob quest. What's multiboot mean? :confuse: I can't find any desc above.
The Following User Says Thank You to vashta For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift vashta Ad-Free
11th December 2012, 07:53 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 65

More
Multiboot means, that you can flash 2 or 3 roms and choose them at the start of your phone.

But here is my question: Its just possible to flash JB Roms right? So its not possible to install a stock based and for excample CM10?

Maybe a list of compatible roms woulb be helpful
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonster111 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Jonster111 Ad-Free
11th December 2012, 08:08 AM |#10  
Retired Forum Moderator
Flag UK
Thanks Meter: 1,570

Donate to Me
More
I would think that that is impossible, stock based ROMs and CM10 based ROMs use different kernels and 2011 xperia devices cant flash kernels through recovery. You should be able to use 3 stock based ROMs instead though, but maybe wait for wedges to confirm this

Sent from my Xperia Arc S
The Following User Says Thank You to dinesh690 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift dinesh690 Ad-Free
11th December 2012, 08:31 AM |#11  
Flag Dublin, Ireland

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by soumya_digi

Wow!! This is amazing!!

Downloading JB ROMS now, in the mean time just wanted to know whether this kernel has the same bugs as CosmicDan's Turbo kernel or not?

No this is not based off cosmicdans kernel thos is based off FXP source but kernel has been re worked from last lupus kernel. So havent heard of any bugs so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonster111

Multiboot means, that you can flash 2 or 3 roms and choose them at the start of your phone.

But here is my question: Its just possible to flash JB Roms right? So its not possible to install a stock based and for excample CM10?

Maybe a list of compatible roms woulb be helpful

Yes you can on use for JB Roms in the title its jb not jb/ics Its not imppssible gor jb/ics just at the moment no only HB Roms.

Any jb rom is compatible aslong as u make tge above changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinesh690

I would think that that is impossible, stock based ROMs and CM10 based ROMs use different kernels and 2011 xperia devices cant flash kernels through recovery. You should be able to use 3 stock based ROMs instead though, but maybe wait for wedges to confirm this

Sent from my Xperia Arc S

You sir are right no stock, JB ROMs only

Sent from my GT-I9300 On Official JB
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wedgess For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wedgess Ad-Free
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread