FORUMS

[APP][>= ICS] GMail Unreads Notifier

3,856 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,772

By bartito, Inactive Recognized Developer on 12th December 2012, 10:32 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,

I present a new application, compatible with Gmail for Android (versions for Ice Cream Sandwitch and higher).

I will implements recurrent notifications for unread messages (in inbox or prioritary inbox).

Due the limitations of the Gmail API, that exports the total unread messages count, nor the messages, the notifier can't detect new messages in certain scenarios.

By example:

The notifier works fine in this cases:

* Receive a new message
* Read messages in the device

The notifier not detects a new message if

* You have X unread messages and (in another device, like PC) you read Y messages and Z new messages are arrived before next phone sync (and Y + Z < X)

In other cases, the app works fine.

Comments are welcome!

For use it, you can disable ringtone notifications (setting notification sound to silent) in Gmail (prioritary or normal inbox depending of your choice), but not notifications (i like gmail notifications and I don't have included in my app),
the go my app and configure repeats, sound and vibration the enable the service in the top-right of the screen.

Play Store Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....gmailnotifier
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scr1.jpg
Views:	872
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	1557094   Click image for larger version

Name:	scr2.jpg
Views:	830
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	1557095  
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to bartito For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift bartito Ad-Free
13th December 2012, 07:56 AM |#2  
OP Inactive Recognized Developer

Donate to Me
More
Changelog

- Initial release

- Corrected bug calculating the silent hours
- Added spanish translation

- Added setting in order to continue playing leds (but no sounds and vibration) when reminders max count reached
8th January 2013, 01:38 PM |#3  

Donate to Me
More
Released into the Play Store

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....gmailnotifier
17th March 2013, 02:42 PM |#4  
Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 141

More
not working for me
I am running android 4.1.1 and gmail v4.2.1. App doesn't seem to do anything.
I configured:
1. Gmail app notification on but silent.
2. On your app picked acct, turned off priority inbox (to monitor plain inbox), picked ringtone, turned off silent hours.
3. To enable, the on/off switch says off in gray (when disabled it says on in blue - a little confusing).

When new Gmail comes through, I am only getting the standard Gmail visual notification. No sound.
Am I missing something?

I really want this to work because I too like the standard Gmail notification, I just want it to repeat.
17th March 2013, 04:31 PM |#5  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by yearn2burn

I am running android 4.1.1 and gmail v4.2.1. App doesn't seem to do anything.
I configured:
1. Gmail app notification on but silent.
2. On your app picked acct, turned off priority inbox (to monitor plain inbox), picked ringtone, turned off silent hours.
3. To enable, the on/off switch says off in gray (when disabled it says on in blue - a little confusing).

When new Gmail comes through, I am only getting the standard Gmail visual notification. No sound.
Am I missing something?

I really want this to work because I too like the standard Gmail notification, I just want it to repeat.

please, put a app screenshot (obviously, you can hide your gmail from the screenhot) or send to me
(ryo.software _AT_ gmail.com).
is working great for me
thanks
18th March 2013, 04:12 AM |#6  
Atlanta

More
Re: [APP][&gt;= ICS] GMail Unreads Notifier
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartito

please, put a app screenshot (obviously, you can hide your gmail from the screenhot) or send to me
(ryo.software _AT_ gmail.com).
is working great for me
thanks

Here you go.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1363576297783.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	1813323   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1363576321506.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	1813324  
18th March 2013, 08:06 AM |#7  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Here you go.

after configure it, you need to enable the service via clicking the switch at top-right of the screen (set it to on)
18th March 2013, 05:47 PM |#8  
Atlanta

More
Quote:

after configure it, you need to enable the service via clicking the switch at top-right of the screen (set it to on)

It works now (D'oh!). I swear I tried both toggles before. Oh well, thanks
Well, I still have a couple suggestions:

1. Change the on/off to "enabled" and "disabled". The problem is that on/off refers both to the state of on and off and to the process of turning on and turning off, so you're never quite sure what you're doing when you push the button.

2. If possible, and this sounds more complicated, make the beeping stop after the notification in the pull down has been dismissed, even if the email hasn't been read. The reason I like the standard Gmail notification is because you can see what the email is straight from the notification area and dismiss it without even opening Gmail. But if you keep on getting beeps, you have to open it anyway, so there's no point.
18th March 2013, 09:42 PM |#9  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

It works now (D'oh!). I swear I tried both toggles before. Oh well, thanks
Well, I still have a couple suggestions:

1. Change the on/off to "enabled" and "disabled". The problem is that on/off refers both to the state of on and off and to the process of turning on and turning off, so you're never quite sure what you're doing when you push the button.

2. If possible, and this sounds more complicated, make the beeping stop after the notification in the pull down has been dismissed, even if the email hasn't been read. The reason I like the standard Gmail notification is because you can see what the email is straight from the notification area and dismiss it without even opening Gmail. But if you keep on getting beeps, you have to open it anyway, so there's no point.

Hi,
Happy to known that's working for you!

1)
love the switch, i think don't need to be changed.

2)
not possible to make that, due to the limitations of the Gmail API, that exports only the label names and the number of unread messages, but with the new Gmail app (published just a few minutes ago), you can archive emails from the notifications bar
18th March 2013, 10:23 PM |#10  
Atlanta

More
Re: [APP][&gt;= ICS] GMail Unreads Notifier
Quote:

love the switch, i think don't need to be changed

I agree the on/off is attractive, but now you must click the on button to turn off and click the on button to turn off. Could just change button assignments so that clicking off disables and clicking on enables.

18th March 2013, 10:28 PM |#11  

Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I agree the on/off is attractive, but now you must click the on button to turn off and click the on button to turn off. Could just change button assignments so that clicking off disables and clicking on enables.

sorry,
possibly i don't understand, but i think the switch is ok.
if switch value is "on" (blue color) the app monitorizes the gmail inbox or prioritary inbox and notifies the new messages (and the repeats)
if switch value is "off" (gray color) the app don't monitorizes (and don't repeats).

is not?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)