There are a number of threads out there discussing if the VZW GN2 is carrier unlocked and what methods work, etc and I am creating this thread to pull it all together.
First and foremost, the VZW GN2 comes SIM unlocked out of the box. It is global ready and you can technically put in any SIM (assuming it is active) and not need an unlock code or the unlock method you have seen in other posts (AT&T or T-Mobile variants). This includes domestic carriers such as AT&T and T-mobile. Also voice should work without any changes, however, data will not work unless you add APN data.
Verizon chose to only put their APN data on the phone and block the ability to add APN data via settings. Most likely so you use their global services to make more $$$.
How to add APN data:
In order to get data working you have to add carrier specific data to the apns-conf.xml file. While you may have been able to do this is in the past on other devices under settings, VZW has blocked this.
Method 1:VZW & AT&T APN Settings:
See Adrynalyne's post below (Post #2) for a flashable mod (via custom recovery) that will enable the Add APN menu by removing Verizon's block. (For deodexed roms only)
- Ensure your phone is rooted
- adb pull /system/etc/apns-conf.xml
- Add the carrier data to apns-conf.xml with your favorite text/xml editor and save
- adb push your modified apn-conf.xml file back to /sdcard/
- Copy this file back to /system/etc/ and change permissions (I use root explorer)
- Power down and change your SIM card (AT&T, T-mobile, whatever) if you hadn't already done so
- Power back on and go to Settings -> More Settings -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names (if done properly you should see the APN data you entered for your respective carrier).
- Select one of the APN listings and then you should have working data
A working example so you can see how I added additional lines at the beginning for AT&T 3G/HSDPA+/Tether/MMS
Removing the Non-Verizon SIM message :
This will occur on roms that include Samsung's Setup Wizard (including stock) - all others can ignore
- Freeze "Setup wizard 1.0" in Titanium Backup
See imnuts' post below (Post #4) regarding replacing a file (for deodexed roms only)
Adrynalyne: Removing VZW's lame Add APN block
GermanGuy: AT&T APN data
GitNick: Helping me tinker around and finding the secret menus
imnuts: Removing non-VZW SIM nag and APN list from international GN2
thevsg: Testing SinTel sim to confirm unlock with foreign carrier
NOTE: I am not responsible for any issues caused by tinkering around with this due to the nature of root and messing with /system. Use this at your own risk and ask someone if you have any question before doing something that may mess up your device.