Haven't seen anything related yet, so I found a way to get stock/native WiFi tethering working on the GNII, on the stock rom, without the use of any market apps. Based off other methods I saw for doing the same thing on the GSIII by modifying /system/framework/framework-res.apk to not call the entitlement check app when you fire up wifi tethering.
- Be on stock ROM build JRO03C.I605VRALJB .. if you are not, it will likely hose your phone
- Be rooted..
- Backup /system/app/SPG.apk .. then delete it
- Backup [B]/system/framework/framework-res.apk[B] DO NOT DELETE IT!!
- Download modified framework-res.apk I have created, and copy to internal storage ( /sdcard )
- Run these commands with ADB:
adb shell shell@android:/ $ su shell@android:/ # mount -o remount,rw /dev/mtdblock4 /system shell@android:/ # dd if=/sdcard/framework-res.apk of=/system/framework/framework-res.apk
- Phone will freeze/lockup/hangup because you just overwrote a open file.. so reboot it or pull battery to reset
I don't do this stuff everyday, so I take no responsibility if you jack your phone up, but I did this on mine, and works great.. and best part is you can stay stock without messing with crappy WiFi tether apps out there. Also worth noting is any OTA's that come down wire and that are blindly applied will ruin your day as well, so before you apply any OTA, reverse the above directions to put the stock framework-res.apk file back so that everything works.