FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[APP][3.x][4.x] full!screen - App to hide/replace Systembar

45 posts
Thanks Meter: 74

By Tsorn, Member on 19th December 2012, 09:29 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
This little app acts as a replacement or companion to the default systembar on tablets. It can hide and restore systembar on most Android 3.x and 4.x devices.

Also like similar apps it requires root.

Unlike "GMD Hidebar" or "Hide Bar" which are recommended for simply using the device in "Kiosk mode" this app is meant to be more like an replacement for the systembar. It provides two configurable softbuttons which can be configured in position, size, color and transparency or can be completely disabled.

Several actions can be assigned to the buttons. Each button holds up to three actions, one for short, one for long click and one for swipe above the button. Possible actions:
  • Nothing: Um, yeah.. this does... nothing. Not sure why I implemented this.
  • Go back: Acts as the known "back" button to navigate back within apps.
  • Go to homescreen: Shortcut to directly go to homescreen... just like at the original systembar
  • Show recent apps: Will show a little panel to quickly switch between recently used apps. Unfortunately the well known "swipe to kill" function of the original can't be implemented because the necessary permission is only granted to apps with systems signature.
  • Restore systembar: An action to quickly restore systembar. With the latest version this can also be done by notification.
  • Show notifications: The second most important feature of the systembar. It shows a panel displaying the notifications. It is a complete reimplementation so some features are not available for now. The basic function works well on most devices.
  • Open apps menu: Older apps usually display their menu-button within the systembar. This action now can open the menu for those apps.
  • Pie Menu: Opens a configurable Pie Menu next to the touch area. This menu can be configured individually for each event.

This free version is fully functional and should be absolutely sufficient for most users. For lazy ones like me, who don't want to manually hide'n'restore systembar each time, there is a "plus"version available which automatically hides systembar for selected apps.
Oh, and yes, the free version shows a little advertisment for the plus version once in a while... if you want to get rid of it: just click this advert three times and it won't appear again. If you didn't buy the plus version after visiting it's store entry three times you probably won't ever.

please feel free to post critics, bug-reports, requests and suggestions

changelog:
1.0:
Initial release
1.1:
Improvement: wallpaper restoring much faster
Added settings for position and design of toucharea.
1.2:
Implemented panel for recently used apps
Added option for hiding systembar on boot
1.3:
Bugfixes
1.4:
Implemeted notification to quickly hide systembar
Added second touch area to use more actions
Touch areas now can be hidden completely
Fixed recentspanel not being hidden on buttonclick
Fixed toucharea not appearing under rare circumstances
1.5:
Implemented Notificationspanel
Added new action to access applications menu
Touch areas now always being composed correctly
Fixed apps malfunction on some devices (pfff.. the damn wrong environment issue most root-app-developers stumble upon)
Bugfixes
German translation
Visual feedback on buttonpress
Added information about battery, wifi and bluetooth in notificationpanels header
Support for big notifications in JellyBean
Changed unit for size of toucharea to dip (density independent pixel)
Fixed lost ability to accept calls on some phones
Added about- and contact-info
1.5.3b
No new features for now...
Service running more reliable. Should always restart after crash, manual or oom-kill
Removed full!screen from recent-apps-list (people swipe'n'killed full!screen from that list and wondered why it wouldn't work anymore )
1.6b1
few bugfixes.
New action: Pie Menu... this opens a Pie menu next to the touch area which can be freely configured for any event.
New event: Swipe... a third action can be assigned to the button which will be invoked when swiping over the button.
New extended options: activate them within the apps Options menu to freely change color and feedback of touch areas or to change long click timeout.
just bugfixes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	App-Logo_small.png
Views:	12536
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	1577040   Click image for larger version

Name:	device-2012-12-19-124035_small.jpg
Views:	14030
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	1577041   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_en_1.jpg
Views:	9798
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	1700917   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_en_4.jpg
Views:	7382
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	1783680  
Attached Files
File Type: apk FullScreen_1.5.2.apk - [Click for QR Code] (129.3 KB, 5600 views)
File Type: apk FullScreen_1.6.apk - [Click for QR Code] (158.1 KB, 5861 views)
The Following 49 Users Say Thank You to Tsorn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Tsorn Ad-Free

20th December 2012, 12:16 AM |#2  
Flag Marche_Marotta (PU)
Thanks Meter: 591

Donate to Me
More
Works good, I just need the notification area back and it's perfect!!
20th December 2012, 02:07 AM |#3  
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 1,141

More
Works great for me.

Suggestions:

Multi colors
allow back button to exit the recent apps. Could not find any way to exit the recent apps when selected.
20th December 2012, 03:06 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Sweet, this works for ICS too? Gonna try it out now.
20th December 2012, 10:02 AM |#5  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergeticink

Works great for me.

Suggestions:

Multi colors
allow back button to exit the recent apps. Could not find any way to exit the recent apps when selected.

Thanks for your feedback.

The recent apps panel should be closed when tapping on back button or anywhere alse outside the panel.
Well there is indeed a issue when "short click action" is set to something else than "Go back". Then tapping on button does not hide the panel. Did you mean this? I'll fix that.
20th December 2012, 10:12 AM |#6  
OP Member

More
I just got a message the wallpaper-workaround does not work at all on one device.
Since the wallpaper-issue was one of my main topics I am eager to solve this.

At least me and some testers never ran into this problem: if anyone else experiences this, please drop me a line. I need to collect some information to delimit that issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tsorn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Tsorn Ad-Free
5th January 2013, 09:47 PM |#7  
OP Member

More
update:

the latest version now introduces the missing Notifications Panel.

At least for me the missing access to notifications was the only reason to ever restore the original systembar. So now it nearly always stays hidden.
A little drawback: new notifications so far are only being reported by sound. My own tablet doesn't have a LED and Vibro, so I personally am not missing this.

Hope you like it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Tsorn For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Tsorn Ad-Free
11th January 2013, 06:36 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 326

More
Great little app and I would be happy to shell a couple of bucks for it, one suggestion if I may though: it seems to be the case that all those who develop this kind of on-screen button apps forget to put a feedback for when the button is being pressed (momentary change of color preferably).

Since your app seems to be of the most complete offerings I think it would be great if you were to implement it in a given future. Android devices are often no strangers to lag so a feedback of any kind (that the button was actually pressed) I think it would improve the usability by quite a lot and hopefully it is easy to be implemented too...

Again thanks for this great app, here's looking forward for future updates
The Following User Says Thank You to Stevethegreat For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Stevethegreat Ad-Free
12th January 2013, 06:03 PM |#9  
OP Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevethegreat

..., it seems to be the case that all those who develop this kind of on-screen button apps forget to put a feedback for when the button is being pressed (momentary change of color preferably).

Seems that those developers hardly ever imagine to operate an Android device with somthing else than their big Wurstfinger-thumbs
When I use the app I don't see the buttons since they are completely covered by my fingers. But you are right, when using eg. one of those attach-to-TV-Android-sticks which are operated by mouse and keyboard, and having systems touch sounds disabled, there is no feedback at all.. It's pretty easy to implement such optical feedback, soon to be done.

thanks for your suggestion.
12th January 2013, 07:08 PM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 326

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsorn

Seems that those developers hardly ever imagine to operate an Android device with somthing else than their big Wurstfinger-thumbs
When I use the app I don't see the buttons since they are completely covered by my fingers. But you are right, when using eg. one of those attach-to-TV-Android-sticks which are operated by mouse and keyboard, and having systems touch sounds disabled, there is no feedback at all.. It's pretty easy to implement such optical feedback, soon to be done.

thanks for your suggestion.

Thanks

Not much else to suggest -I guess- sort from allowing more actions (through the press of the buttons) but that can be done later... oh and a way to have the buttons accessible regardless of being fullscreen or not (for those who'd love to have "hot corners" at all times)... oh and a minor bug report now that we're at it: upon reboot the app gets superuser permission but does not procede to enable the service (even though I have "enable at boot" selected).

Again thanks for this great app, loving it so far
12th January 2013, 07:35 PM |#11  
Flag Brighton
Thanks Meter: 30

More
This works really well on the Nexus 7. I was using GMD gesture control and i had remapped my volume buttons so they could be used as back and home but this is much handier. I can now have my buttons back.

Many thanks
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)