FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Is nexus 7 fragile?

341 posts
Thanks Meter: 62

By superng888, Senior Member on 20th December 2012, 08:31 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey guys I'm considering whether to buy a nexus 7 but I'm worried about the screen cracking stuff... Is the built quality good? Why are there so many complaining theirs are cracking magically this makes me scared

Sent from my Nexus S using xda premium

20th December 2012, 09:02 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 25

More
I really think that the defects where with the first batches of nexus7s. I own a 3g model and it's flawless. Idk if i was lucky or not but it's pretty nice.

The screen is fragile, yes. There is NO gorilla glass. Use an A-frame leather case, some are quite cheap and protect the tablet from light impacts. I'm not affraid to use it with just one hand, but I am affraid to walk outside with it in my backpack. I live in Bucharest and it's snowing here, ice has formed on the sidewalks.
20th December 2012, 11:08 AM |#3  
Flag Leek
Thanks Meter: 638

Donate to Me
More
I would say the Nexus is very fragile.

Coming from a HOX, the screen feels like a sheet of cling film compared to the sturdy feel of Gorilla glass.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE MY N7, and its a quality device, but it is fragile !
20th December 2012, 03:39 PM |#4  
Flag Perth
Thanks Meter: 144

More
Got my 32gb N7 about 3 days ago and so far it has been an absolute joy to use! Build is A+! Just don't drop it
20th December 2012, 03:56 PM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
I suggest looking at the date when looking at post about faults, the early (july/august) models were the worst. I have recently bought two and both were in perfect condition.

As for fragility, the screen is glass and glass is fragile. :/ Any heavy impact on an edge or point will probably crack it. I guess it's more of a concern if you intend on taking it outside a lot and carrying it around.
20th December 2012, 04:29 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I have a transformer tf700, within the first week of having it I dropped it off my bed and it fell at an angle it chipped part of the gorilla glass and the metal lining around the micro USB charger
Gorilla glass or not use screen protectors and a case.
But so far my nexus has been great no screen lifting, I banged it against my car console a few times on accident and nothing has happen.
And how do you determine when your device was built?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
20th December 2012, 04:49 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 8

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkredible973

I have a transformer tf700, within the first week of having it I dropped it off my bed and it fell at an angle it chipped part of the gorilla glass and the metal lining around the micro USB charger
Gorilla glass or not use screen protectors and a case.
But so far my nexus has been great no screen lifting, I banged it against my car console a few times on accident and nothing has happen.
And how do you determine when your device was built?

You can get an idea of how new/old your Nexus is by looking at its build number (settings>about (bottom)). I think one of the latest batches has the build number: JOP40D, searching for your number will probably give you an idea. If you ordered from Google play then the date it shipped is also a rough way of knowing how old it is, since their stock rotation is so fast (always people ordering, no stagnant stock).
20th December 2012, 05:00 PM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Also I am rooted on the latest Paranoid Android ROM but it does say JOP40D

20th December 2012, 10:35 PM |#9  
Flag Boston, MA
Thanks Meter: 82

More
JOP40D does NOT mean you have a newer nexus. All it means is that you're running 4.2.1. 'Build number' is referring to the SOFTWARE build, not the hardware.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to Fu5ion For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Fu5ion Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)