FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[GUIDE] How to easily edit/modify .apk files! (Simple, Noob Friendly)

275 posts
Thanks Meter: 1,510

By littlejoelgriffo, Senior Member on 21st December 2012, 12:28 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hey Guys an' Girls!
Anyway, so when I first learnt how to decompile, modify then recompile .apks I found it was a rather slow process and figured out a far faster way.I searched google and xda many times and couldn't find my method anywhere. So without further ado, let's go through an easy, simple, step by step guide on how to modify .apk files!

Step 1 - Getting the .apk

Firstly, of course, you will need to obtain the .apk file that you want to edit. There are two methods to do this:

a) If you have the recovery flashable zip for the rom you are currently on, simply open it up, navigate to the file you want to edit (in my case system -> app -> settings.apk) and drag the .apk file onto your desktop.

b) Using root browser or a similar app on your device, navigate to the .apk you wish to edit and copy it onto your sdcard. Then connect to your computer and copy the file from your phone to the computer.

Step 2 - Editing/Modifying your .apk

Now is the important part. Install Winrar by clicking the link. http://www.win-rar.com/download.html?&L=0 Then open the .apk by right clicking the file -> open with -> WinRar. Now you can look around the .apk file. Find a file inside the .apk you wish to edit. (In my case I'm going to navigate to res -> mipmap-hdpi -> ic_launcher_settings.png). Just drag the file from the .apk and edit to your liking.

NOTE: It is recommended never to completely take everything out of the .apk and then put it all back in. Just do one file at a time.

Then when your finished, select the old file in the .apk and press the delete button. Now drag in the new edited file into where you found it. Easy!

Step 3 - Putting the new .apk back where it belongs

Now of course, your going to have to put it back on your device to see the changes in effect, there's no point having it on your computer! There are two ways to go about this:

a) Open up your rom and navigate to the place where you took your .apk file from. Click on the old .apk file and press the delete button. Now drag your new edited .apk file into the zip. Then connect your device to your computer and drag the rom onto the sdcard and flash it via recovery. Now reboot the system and see your change/s in effect!

b) Copy your new .apk file from your computer to your device. Then, using Root browser or a similar app, navigate to the old .apk file and look at the permisions. (eg. RW--r--) Now delete the old file and replace with the new, but make sure to set the permissions the same as they were before. Now Simply reboot and see your change/s in effect!

NOTE: For some .apk files (eg. Framework-res.apk) there might be missing folders inside the .apk (eg. Values).
The Following 223 Users Say Thank You to littlejoelgriffo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift littlejoelgriffo Ad-Free

21st December 2012, 12:35 PM |#2  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Just hit the thanks button, he doesn't bite your finger!
The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to littlejoelgriffo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift littlejoelgriffo Ad-Free
21st December 2012, 08:48 PM |#3  
Flag Ħ†℃ ∃Ṽϴ 4Ḡ
Thanks Meter: 2,835

Donate to Me
More
This is an easy way to edit the images only(icons,wallpaper,etc),not XML files,Smali's and such.I do this using the kitchen,easy way if you theme alot.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Diablo67 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Diablo67 Ad-Free
22nd December 2012, 12:07 AM |#4  
OP Senior Member

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo67

This is an easy way to edit the images only(icons,wallpaper,etc),not XML files,Smali's and such.I do this using the kitchen,easy way if you theme alot.

You don't have to use this guide just for images. That was just the example. You can use it for almost any file inside an .apk. I was just saying that SOME folders aren't there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to littlejoelgriffo For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift littlejoelgriffo Ad-Free
24th January 2013, 06:18 AM |#5  
Thanks Meter: 6

More
Can you guide me to how do i keep same apps of diff versions.
24th January 2013, 12:58 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 18

More
i tried to modify a 3rd party app e.g whatsapp and when i tried installing i got an error which said "the app is not signed", may u kindly assist!
12th April 2013, 12:41 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 65

More
Arrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by tendyfish

i tried to modify a 3rd party app e.g whatsapp and when i tried installing i got an error which said "the app is not signed", may u kindly assist!

You also have this tool
Easy Apk Dissassembler

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=14049173
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ORioN.BAK For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ORioN.BAK Ad-Free
24th April 2013, 04:28 PM |#8  
Flag Belleville, NJ
Thanks Meter: 308

More
How do I use a flashable to get rid of .apks??? ₩
1st June 2013, 11:59 PM |#9  
Flag Denver, CO
Thanks Meter: 23

More
On the app I have here it returns 20 results that it scrapes from a website. I only want it to return 3 or 4. How do I get in there and change that value?
The Following User Says Thank You to Superorb For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Superorb Ad-Free
4th November 2013, 01:43 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I want to change values on touchwiz launcher on my note 3, to use it in 440 dpi. When I use it there is so much margin on all sides, and I need to reduce. I need to add a new icon row as well. Can I do that just by modifying the app?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
21st November 2013, 08:45 AM |#11  
Flag Westminster
Thanks Meter: 4

Donate to Me
More
are the .xml files encrypted or something? when i try to edit them, it is a bunch of strange characters
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
.apk, android, apk decompile, apk edit, guide

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)