FORUMS

The Economist app crashes: how to trick it into phone layout?

4 posts
Thanks Meter: 0

By Lapis molari, Junior Member on 29th December 2012, 07:25 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
On my 7.7, with CM9, The Economist app always crashes when I swipe to the next page in an article. However, on my S3 phone, with CM10, the app works fine: the phone layout presents each article as one long text, you only swipe at the end to move to the next article. No swiping inside articles, so predictably no crashes, and successful swiping between articles.

Is there any way to trick The Economist app into treating the 7.7 as a phone instead of tablet? I hope that will solve the problem.
If anyone has a different solution, or knows more accurately what causes the problem, please share.

As this is my first post, let me say: thank you all for sharing your findings and improvements to make good Androids even better.

Sent from my GT-P6800
3rd January 2013, 03:25 AM |#2  
OP Junior Member

More
Solved: After reverting to 4.0.4 with the official Samsung fw (Open Austria), the Economist app works.

I first tried installing Paranoid (2.53 then 2.55), to force the Phone layout on the app, but that blocked the app from installing. Same problem with CM10.1.

If anyone gets the Economist app to work on 4.2, please post. Until then I'm staying with 4.0.4.

Sent from my P-6800
11th January 2013, 01:19 PM |#3  
London, UK
Thanks Meter: 89

More
You could always get the mobi version and read it in Kindle, that's what I do.

Sent from my GT-P6810 using xda app-developers app
7th March 2013, 01:13 PM |#4  

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapis molari

On my 7.7, with CM9, The Economist app always crashes when I swipe to the next page in an article. However, on my S3 phone, with CM10, the app works fine: the phone layout presents each article as one long text, you only swipe at the end to move to the next article. No swiping inside articles, so predictably no crashes, and successful swiping between articles.

Is there any way to trick The Economist app into treating the 7.7 as a phone instead of tablet? I hope that will solve the problem.
If anyone has a different solution, or knows more accurately what causes the problem, please share.

As this is my first post, let me say: thank you all for sharing your findings and improvements to make good Androids even better.

Sent from my GT-P6800

They have fixed this issue in the app that was just released, here is an email confirmation:

Thank you for contacting The Economist.

We are sorry to hear you are experiencing difficulties with your digital access.

We can confirm that we have now released an android app compatible with android tablets running Jellybean, please ensure you update the app to allow you to view full digital content on your device.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)