FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

Change APK NAME APK Editing for Complete n00bs (Myself Included :P) )

522 posts
Thanks Meter: 200

By ykumar00, Senior Member on 30th December 2012, 07:50 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
This is a tutorial to Change the name of an app as it appears in the app drawer/ Settings >Manage Apps.
Essentially, it will change the name of the app as it is installed.

For example, I would like the OI File Manager App to appear simply as File Manager In my phone.

Changing the name of the file will do nothing. When the app is installed, it'll still have the same name (file name of the APK doesn't matter at all).

It really is easy.

Use this GUI Program to Browse for the Original APK file, and click Decompile.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=33815550

Next, Click the "Navigate to Decompiled Directory", and it will open a folder containing the decompiled files.

open the AndroidManifest.xml file using Notepad++.
Its free, get it here: http://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v6.2.3.html

look for something like the following (in this example, I am using a manifest from Canabalt):

Code:
<application android:label="@string/app_name" android:icon="@drawable/icon" android:name=".CanabaltApplication" android:debuggable="false">

Sometimes it will say something like android:label="Canabalt HD", in which case you'd just change it to what you want, and then rebuild it, but in this case there is an @ at the start of the name, which means that the name is stored in another file. As it is "@string/app_name", this means that the name is stored in the file "res\values\strings.xml" and has the name "app_name", so go into the folder "res", and then within that the folder "values" [if you use another language on your phone than the app's default language, go into the relevant folder e.g. for Spanish, you would go into "values-es" instead] and then within that open the file "strings.xml". Then you would look for something like this:

Code:
<string name="app_name">Canabalt HD</string>
Change this, save the file and then rebuild the APK. Afterwards, you'll need to sign the APK.
Use the GUI program or zipsigner 2.

Also note that if there is an @ in the AndroidManifest.xml, you can still just edit the title in that file without finding the relevant entry in another file. In my above example, if I wanted to change the name to "Canabalt MOD", I'd change it to the following:

Code:
<application android:label="Canabalt MOD" android:icon="@drawable/icon" android:name=".CanabaltApplication" android:debuggable="false">
The difference is basically doing it this way, it won't change for other languages, it will ALWAYS be "Canabalt MOD", regardless of the language of the phone. If you're just doing this for yourself, that probably doesn't matter, so it's simpler to just change it in AndroidManifest.xml.

Install the app and youre done!

Credits to SifJar

btw This is how i modified my first app
The Following 35 Users Say Thank You to ykumar00 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ykumar00 Ad-Free

30th December 2012, 09:08 AM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 13

More
why did you create too many thread about this apk editing?

Sent from my LG-P970 using xda premium
30th December 2012, 09:56 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
This is the second. Just sharing what I found. And both of them are on different topics.

Sent from my LG-P970 using Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to ykumar00 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ykumar00 Ad-Free
30th December 2012, 11:00 AM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 146

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ykumar00

This is the second. Just sharing what I found. And both of them are on different topics.

I don't use it but thanks for sharing keep up the good work

Sent from my LG-P970 using xda premium
30th December 2012, 12:40 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
You're welcome

The Following User Says Thank You to ykumar00 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ykumar00 Ad-Free
27th January 2013, 11:24 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
tyfor the tut, i've been looking this for a while
27th January 2013, 11:46 AM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 39

More
Thumbs up
@ykumar, cheers yaar.
The posts created by you is very very informative and useful....

THANKS
The Following User Says Thank You to srikanth_kande For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift srikanth_kande Ad-Free
27th January 2013, 02:27 PM |#8  
OP Senior Member

More
Re: Change APK NAME APK Editing for Complete n00bs (Myself Included :P) )
Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanth_kande

@ykumar, cheers yaar.
The posts created by you is very very informative and useful....

THANKS

You're welcome
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ykumar00 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ykumar00 Ad-Free
14th April 2013, 11:19 PM |#9  
Flag Toronto
Thanks Meter: 160

More
hard to understand. I don't see how this is really easy.
15th April 2013, 06:42 AM |#10  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetPatriotized

hard to understand. I don't see how this is really easy.

Tell me what part is hard to understand and I'll try to explain
21st April 2013, 05:12 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 24

More
thanks
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
apk, app, edit

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)