FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] How to find out camera HFOV and focal length multiplier?

8 posts
Thanks Meter: 1

By ocoegna, Junior Member on 31st December 2012, 02:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread

I have a set of photos taken using my Galaxy Note which I want to stitch into a panorama using Hugin, but unlike my other (conventional) camera, the "horizontal field of view" (HFOV) and "focal length multiplier" ("crop factor") figures are not available to Hugin, and it asks me to enter them manually. I can't find anything useful on the web about this. Can anybody tell me how I can find out those figures? Thanks a lot.

31st December 2012, 06:01 PM |#2  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Solved, I think
It's explained here: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_Camera_and_Lens_tab . According to that page, just the HFOV is needed.

To get my HFOV, I took a picture of a straight length of measuring tape from a distance of 1120mm, and the section of the tape in the picture measured 1270mm, which works out at an angle of 59 degrees. Sounds reasonable enough.

The Following User Says Thank You to ocoegna For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ocoegna Ad-Free
7th July 2014, 05:35 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
I used this website to calculate my values:
w w w .csgnetwork.com/righttricalc.html

This website to figure out what HFOV angle is:
w w w .panohelp.com/lensfov.html

So at 600 mm I measured 725 mm of tape so:
725 / 2 = 362.5 mm was half making the right angle triangle so
HFOV/2 = 58.86 degrees
HFOV = 117.2 degrees

This is with the camera taking pictures in landscape mode.

I just tested in Hugin and the 58.86 degrees seems to be the one that the program is looking for.
15th August 2014, 08:48 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 30

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocoegna

It's explained here: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_Camera_and_Lens_tab . According to that page, just the HFOV is needed.

To get my HFOV, I took a picture of a straight length of measuring tape from a distance of 1120mm, and the section of the tape in the picture measured 1270mm, which works out at an angle of 59 degrees. Sounds reasonable enough.

This information seems to be gone from the linked page?
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)