FORUMS

Best music player solution for OTG/USB drive?

1,323 posts
Thanks Meter: 27

By itm, Senior Member on 1st January 2013, 09:41 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
I have a rooted Nexus 7 which I'd like to use in conjunction with a large external USB drive as a high-capacity music player. The music player provided with Nexus media importer is pretty basic (no playlist/search functionality etc), so I was wondering whether anyone had any good ideas for turning the USB/OTG media player into a more "native" style solution. For example, is it possible to mount the USB drive so that it would be visible to something like Doubletwist?
1st January 2013, 09:58 PM |#2  
Flag Cork
Thanks Meter: 921

More
Your rooted so get stickmount to mount your drives and use poweramp to play your music!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app
1st January 2013, 10:06 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by corkiejp

Your rooted so get stickmount to mount your drives and use poweramp to play your music!

Thanks for that. I just quickly installed Stickmount and it's mounted my USB drive fine, but Google Music and Doubletwist don't see it. Is there a decent music app that can use USB mounts?
1st January 2013, 10:38 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Rocketplayer can befound on google playstore. jetaudio player, zimley. Also.found in googoe playstore.
2nd January 2013, 08:16 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpymann

Rocketplayer can befound on google playstore. jetaudio player, zimley. Also.found in googoe playstore.

Can anyone comment on which of these, if any, are good at handling large music collections? (5,500 albums, >80,000 tracks). I use DoubleTwist for this reason.
2nd January 2013, 09:46 AM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
For my large music library I use jetaudio and avia. but that's on my Toshiba Thrive. I hook it up to a 250 gigabyte external hard drive. on the next 7 I do not yet have an OTG cable. So I can't say for sure. Hope this helps.
2nd January 2013, 04:34 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 116

More
I was able to point PowerAmp to my music on an OTG Usb thumbdrive. It streamed just fine.
26th March 2016, 04:10 AM |#8  
Flag Porto
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Hey yo, sorry for necro-posting but for those who want to know how to solve this, I made a tutorial on XDA - Check it out
2nd July 2016, 06:44 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaferreira13

Hey yo, sorry for necro-posting but for those who want to know how to solve this, I made a tutorial on XDA - Check it out

Will work for Nexus 5x marshmallow?
25th September 2016, 11:42 PM |#10  
Flag Porto
Thanks Meter: 12

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdcruz

Will work for Nexus 5x marshmallow?

Yeah, as long as it can read an OTG pen
15th June 2017, 12:10 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
I did not find a player that recognizes my USB Drive, but i could open the folder with my music with Astro, then chose to open a file with Folder Player and all files from the folder showed up in the player! So i can play them, but of course Folder Player is very limited (cannot change order of tracks, can only have one folder open at a time...)
EDIT: Winamp is able to find and play the files and playlists on the USB drive!
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)