FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

[Q] Build.prop tweaks don't stick, reset when I reboot

172 posts
Thanks Meter: 59

By xWhiskey, Senior Member on 2nd January 2013, 12:05 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi,

I'm pretty sure this problem could be common to all rooted devices, so I'm posting it in the general Q&A.

Basically, I would like to experiment with some build.prop tweaks I found around other XDA topics. I'm sure all of you know about the general tweaking of the said file, so I won't get into too much detail about it.

However, the changes just don't stick. They reset to default every time I reboot, as if the build.prop file never changed. So, how do I make them stick?

Phone details:

Phone: Xperia X8
ROM: FroyoPro v2.5
Kernel: Stock (can't unlock the bootloader, unfortunately)

2nd January 2013, 10:27 AM |#2  
Are you saving before exiting?
2nd January 2013, 02:37 PM |#3  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by XperienceD

Are you saving before exiting?

Of course! I even double-check if the changes were still there by opening the modified build.prop after the work is done. For the changes I used Root Browser Lite with the Text Editor pre-installed inside. This method does work well, as I used it to modify hw_config parameters related to governors a couple of weeks back.

I've read somewhere that sometimes changes aren't possible if the kernel is stock. Could that be the case here?

If not, are there any other methods I could use to modify build.prop?
25th August 2013, 07:10 PM |#4  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xWhiskey

Of course! I even double-check if the changes were still there by opening the modified build.prop after the work is done. For the changes I used Root Browser Lite with the Text Editor pre-installed inside. This method does work well, as I used it to modify hw_config parameters related to governors a couple of weeks back.

I've read somewhere that sometimes changes aren't possible if the kernel is stock. Could that be the case here?

If not, are there any other methods I could use to modify build.prop?

A quick google caused me to find this thread and I too am having the same problem. I'm currently trying to edit my build.prop to unlock games which say they are incompatible. I'm using ES File Explorer and the built in text editor to edit and save the .prop file, I check if the changes have saved before rebooting my phone but when I turn it back on it has reverted back to stock.
25th August 2013, 09:19 PM |#5  
OP Senior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sircrisp

A quick google caused me to find this thread and I too am having the same problem. I'm currently trying to edit my build.prop to unlock games which say they are incompatible. I'm using ES File Explorer and the built in text editor to edit and save the .prop file, I check if the changes have saved before rebooting my phone but when I turn it back on it has reverted back to stock.

Check if your ROM has a dual build.prop file. If one exists in system/bin, you ought to edit that one for the change to stick. This solved the issue for me, and might solve it for you.

If it isn't there, try using search, and if you find another one somewhere else then try editing that one. A simple matter, but apparently easily missed
6th January 2015, 10:45 PM |#6  
Thanks Meter: 7

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xWhiskey

Check if your ROM has a dual build.prop file. If one exists in system/bin, you ought to edit that one for the change to stick. This solved the issue for me, and might solve it for you.

If it isn't there, try using search, and if you find another one somewhere else then try editing that one. A simple matter, but apparently easily missed

I'm here to wake this thread up, because I'm having this same issue and I can't seem to find any duplicate build.prop file...

Anyone having a good suggestion for me please give it, all assistance is welcome.

Android version 4.4.4
Galaxy Note Edge

Sent from my SM-N915P using Tapatalk 2
16th January 2015, 11:20 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
me too have the same problem , please some dev or expert help with these problem
16th January 2015, 11:35 PM |#8  
You install root explorer and mount as r/w and copy the build.prop into your sd card (the unmoded one) and connect your phone to your pc and turn on usb copy file transfer or something like that. In your pc go into your sd and open your copied build.prop with notepad and mod it as you like. After that go into your root explorer and replace it with your original build.prop. Try on not bricking your phone bcz i bricked mine like that when i put a lot mods on it haha, make a cwm backup or if you know how to unbrick it in every case Hope i helped
Be sure its mounted as r/w otherwise you will not be able to do anything to system files.
Use the original root explorer or Andro Zip is recommeded by me

Sent from my GT-S5830i using XDA Free mobile app
17th January 2015, 03:22 AM |#9  
Flag Kolkata
Thanks Meter: 14

More
Are you setting the file permissions correctly as rw-r--r-- ??
17th January 2015, 05:47 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 2

More
[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flexton

You install root explorer and mount as r/w and copy the build.prop into your sd card (the unmoded one) and connect your phone to your pc and turn on usb copy file transfer or something like that. In your pc go into your sd and open your copied build.prop with notepad and mod it as you like. After that go into your root explorer and replace it with your original build.prop. Try on not bricking your phone bcz i bricked mine like that when i put a lot mods on it haha, make a cwm backup or if you know how to unbrick it in every case Hope i helped
Be sure its mounted as r/w otherwise you will not be able to do anything to system files.
Use the original root explorer or Andro Zip is recommeded by me

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsungrockz

Are you setting the file permissions correctly as rw-r--r-- ??

thank u for answering but sorry guys to say this , it's not the way of editing it , or the permission , when i make changes they are saved correctly and the device apply the changes in the start of the first boot after these changes are made , but during the boot (after applying the changes) the device restore the stock build.prop , so when the device finishes boot up the changes are applyed but the build.prop (i cheked it) is back to stock , this mean another boot & the changes are gone , no matter how many times or changes u do they are applyed only for the first boot after they are made
17th January 2015, 06:03 AM |#11  
Maybe it has some stock security feed, try to go to custom roms i dont now what else can you do

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)