By lepa71, Senior Member on 2nd January 2013, 04:26 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
ION vs PMEM

What is the difference?
3rd January 2013, 12:01 AM |#3  
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 47

More
In the case of the Rezound specifically, ION is generally faster and less laggy, but has a purple tinted camera, and no working front camera (for now).
4th January 2013, 06:56 PM |#4  
Flag Socorro
Thanks Meter: 6

More
To quote shrike (I hope that's alright)

Originally Posted by shrike1978 View Post
ION is the new unified memory management architecture that Google is advancing. Prior to ION, every SoC manufacturer had their own way of doing memory management. Qualcomm's was pmem, Nvidia's was nvram, etc. It made it's debut as an option in ICS and is preferred in JB. Being unified also means that it is a good candidate for integration into the Linux kernel mainline, which would mean that Android would no longer require it's own separate branch of Linux.

So I've read this but what would that mean in terms of developement? If Android didn't have to be a separate branch of Linux, would it be easier to spread ROMs to all the different phones?

regnsy pronounced
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to noo_too_droid For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift noo_too_droid Ad-Free
4th January 2013, 09:35 PM |#5  
Flag Tallahassee, FL
Thanks Meter: 1,425

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by noo_too_droid

To quote shrike (I hope that's alright)

So I've read this but what would that mean in terms of developement? If Android didn't have to be a separate branch of Linux, would it be easier to spread ROMs to all the different phones?

regnsy pronounced

I'm not a dev, but in my understanding the biggest hurdle for porting ROMS is device drivers. It is relatively easy to port a ROM from the HTC One X to the HTC Rezound, because they are made by the same manufacturer, have the same system-on-a-chip manufacturer (Qualcomm) and have a similar stock kernel based on different versions of HTC Sense.

But porting a ROM from, let's say a Samsung Galaxy III is nigh impossible, because it uses a different system-on-a-chip exclusive to Samsung phones and its stock kernel is based on TouchWiz. And even though Android is based on Linux, each of the phone manufacturers have slightly different ways of organizing system files that set the various system options. So a kernel patch that works on one device probably won't work on another. (kernel level features such as GPU overclocking, two-way call recording etc. rely on these system setting files).

Even among phones made by the same company, you may have hardware differences such as different camera technologies, different screen resolutions, etc. that make porting harder.

That's why cyanogenmod, AOKP and MIUI are so valuable and appreciated, because they organize porting of a ROM that, as far as the kernel and GUI are concerned, vary little between devices. However those projects still have to rely on what manufacturers choose to release as open source to develop hardware device drivers to port the ROM to each device.

And then you have the problem of, what level of Android is officially supported by the manufacturer? The Droid Incredible 2, for example, is still waiting for an official ICS release it may never get, which means running Jellybean as it is meant to be run is that much harder. It's hard enough on the Rezound, where we have official ICS kernel source.

That's why I give lots of kudos to people who take custom ROMs like BAMF paradigm, paranoid android and the like that were developed for other devices and port them to the Rezound. And mega kudos to people like chad who can port/re-factor underlying hardware code originally developed for another device to work on the Rezound. We're talking crazy wizard-level stuff like memory management, camera, hardware graphics optimization (Project Butter).
The Following 57 Users Say Thank You to brenuga For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift brenuga Ad-Free
5th January 2013, 02:53 AM |#6  
Inactive Recognized Developer / Recognized Themer / Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Nowheresville
Thanks Meter: 3,997

More
It makes stuff awesomer
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wildstang83 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift wildstang83 Ad-Free
7th January 2013, 05:05 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 75

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildstang83

It makes stuff awesomer

An answer i can understand.....thx!
The Following User Says Thank You to DCnovicky For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift DCnovicky Ad-Free
7th January 2013, 05:44 PM |#8  
Inactive Recognized Developer / Recognized Themer / Retired Forum Moderator
Flag Nowheresville
Thanks Meter: 3,997

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcnovicky

An answer i can understand.....thx!

Ha, anytime my friend

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
7th January 2013, 08:09 PM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 256

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenuga

I'm not a dev, but in my understanding the biggest hurdle for porting ROMS is device drivers. It is relatively easy to port a ROM from the HTC One X to the HTC Rezound, because they are made by the same manufacturer, have the same system-on-a-chip manufacturer (Qualcomm) and have a similar stock kernel based on different versions of HTC Sense.

But porting a ROM from, let's say a Samsung Galaxy III is nigh impossible, because it uses a different system-on-a-chip exclusive to Samsung phones and its stock kernel is based on TouchWiz. And even though Android is based on Linux, each of the phone manufacturers have slightly different ways of organizing system files that set the various system options. So a kernel patch that works on one device probably won't work on another. (kernel level features such as GPU overclocking, two-way call recording etc. rely on these system setting files).

Even among phones made by the same company, you may have hardware differences such as different camera technologies, different screen resolutions, etc. that make porting harder.

That's why cyanogenmod, AOKP and MIUI are so valuable and appreciated, because they organize porting of a ROM that, as far as the kernel and GUI are concerned, vary little between devices. However those projects still have to rely on what manufacturers choose to release as open source to develop hardware device drivers to port the ROM to each device.

And then you have the problem of, what level of Android is officially supported by the manufacturer? The Droid Incredible 2, for example, is still waiting for an official ICS release it may never get, which means running Jellybean as it is meant to be run is that much harder. It's hard enough on the Rezound, where we have official ICS kernel source.

That's why I give lots of kudos to people who take custom ROMs like BAMF paradigm, paranoid android and the like that were developed for other devices and port them to the Rezound. And mega kudos to people like chad who can port/re-factor underlying hardware code originally developed for another device to work on the Rezound. We're talking crazy wizard-level stuff like memory management, camera, hardware graphics optimization (Project Butter).

I'll hit that thanks button just for that essay you typed

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda app-developers app
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Squirrel1620 For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Squirrel1620 Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
question

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)