Thread i decided to create a new one to collect and focus all necessary informations for the procedure of flashing and rooting the Motorola Defy Mini XT 320.
Credits for Rooting Guide and files goe's to leos0 and i thank him very much for giving us (me) the freedom to root this Phone.
Also many thanks to coder011 he extracted the recovery.img from defy mini which is necessary for rooting
Table of Contents:
- Do i have Fastboot or not?
- How to flash Firmware?
- How to gain Root access?
- Which Firmwareverisions have Fastboot Mode?
- How to flash only older Bootloader to get Fastboot without changing Firmware?
At first, you have to know if your Phone have Fastboot or not.
The easyest Way to find out, is to boot the Phone in Recovery or (if it can) in Fastboot Mode.
- Power off the Phone
- Power on by pressing both Volume Buttons and the Power Button at once and hold them for 5-10 seconds
- if then a screen comes up, you can see if you have Fastboot
- look at the pictures below to compare
If you see this, then you are a happy one, because your phone has fastboot. You can directly go to the rooting procedure below.
If you get this screen, you have to decide if you want to risk an flash of different SBF Firmware file as described in the next Part of Guide.
Your Phone has no Fastboot.
Due to some questions in this Thread i want to make clear, what is necessary to do all this strange stuff.
For anyone who needs it more clear.
For everything that is more than using the Phone as USB Mass Storage, you need to install the Drivers.
What the PC doesn't know, he cannot deal with it.
Drivers are (nearly in everything you do) absolutely mandatory.
And if anything doesn't work on a computer, the first thing you be asked is "Have you installed the drivers?".
Install the Drivers and connect your Phone with USB Debugging enabled or bootet in Fastboot Mode (Power up with holding Volume + and - Buttons for 5-10 seconds).
If the Drivers are installed correct your Phone was shown in device Manager like this:
For flashing other Firmware your Phone must connected as Flashing device.
Power it up with Volume - and Camera Button pressed. You see then an Black screen with some white Text.
Connect Phone and let Drivers install.
If your Phone is connected correct it will be schown in Device Manager like this:
Only after you have installed all drivers and your Phone is recognized by your PC as shown above, you will be able to work with ADB or RSD-Lite.
At first, my Guide to flash your Phone with different ROM if your ROM didn't have Fastboot.
And you have to download RSD Lite:
- Install Drivers and RSD-Lite.
- Start RSD Lite and load SBF File.
- Then shut down the Phone and Boot up by holding Camera + Volume- (down) and Power Buttons.
- If you done right, you see an black screen with white Text, telling you the Device is in flashing mode.
- Connect Phone to PC and let Drivers install (after that RSD Lite shows an "Connected" Message in App.
- Click on "Start" in RSD-Lite
- Flash begins and you see a lot of Message Lines for everey Flash Step.
- At the End of the Process Phone reboots.
- Now you cann deconnect and close RSD Lite, ignoring the Message that it is still in Progress.
- BUT NOT BEFORE THE PHONE REBOOTS!!
- Sometime there is an Error and the Flash fails at first try.
- You have then to pull the Accu and to repeat flash Procedure.
You can brick your Phone!!
In some cases the Phone loses IMEI and Connection to SIM and is broken!!
If you do this, you do it at your own risk!
To prevent this and/or to recover your IMEI and unlocked SIM follow this Guide:
[Important] Backup and Restore Defy Mini IMEI and NV Data
If you can't find an ROM of your native carrier which is rootable, search for a ROM of an Carrier from your Continent which supports eventually your Language and Carrier.
E.g. i found Brazil ROM which is rootable but have no German Input and Language. So i testet some European ROM's and found one from Spain which is rootable and have native German Support and APN in it.
So now i don't need to test further because all works great and have German Phone UI.
The ROM i use at the Moment:
(you have to register before you can download, ZIP Password is "mod2xtreme.com" but be aware, that the Site is sometimes down)
And feel free to donate to the Board for their excellent Service to offer us this ROM's.
If you have an ROM with Fastboot, follow this Guide to Root (Original Post from leos0 here):
- Download and extract the root_xt320.zip to the Root of your Harddisc. Best place is C: so it has to be in Code:
- If you place it in any other place, adjust the Path variables from next advices to your needs.
- Open Command prompt on PC.
- Type in Code:
- Now you are in correct folder to do the next steps
Okey, so, rooting You have to download this : ( it contains fastboot adb recovery.img and update.zip [ I think it is the right one, becourse
i was applying a few of them at one time to save my time xd ] )
0. Copy update.zip to /sdcard/
1. You need to boot into fastboot (NOT RECOVERY, F A S T B O O T ). You can use:
b)turn off the phone, then hold POWER+VOL UP+VOL DOWN for 5-10 sec.
2. Now you need to use fastboot. use:
fastboot boot recovery.img
3.Now CWM TOUCH will boot. There is small problem, it doesn't look as it should, some options are somewhere else etc.
But it works! In normal CWM Recovery i was unable to choose any option, but there everything "works" And you should use
keys on your phone ( POWER to execute, vol. keys to move ), not screen to choose things ( it crashed once when i was using screen )
4. Install zip from sd..(second option)-->choose zip from sdc..)--> ...choose...--> Yes - Install --> Reboot --> back
For commands in [.code] marker you need to use cmd. I hope it will work for you guys You are doing everything on your own so if something dont work its not my fault.
If you want to repost it somewhere, please, just write who invented it You should also thanks coder011 becourse he extracted the recovery.img from defy mini which was very helpful
So now i have one Wish.
Please can anyone who have found an ROM which is rootable/ed and have no SIM-Lock post the FW Version and SBF Name here so we get an complete List of useful ROM Versions.
I will try to update it several times.