FORUMS

[MOD] Spotify app with AVRCP bluetooth metadata

63 posts
Thanks Meter: 36

By res_au, Member on 4th January 2013, 06:33 AM
Post Reply Email Thread
Spotify App with Bluetooth metadata (i.e. album , title , artist ) modification.
Attached is current version @ 4/1/12 (v0.5.4.73) - works perfectly with my Subaru Bluetooth, let me know how you go.

Installation Instructions (from fayez @ spotify):
NOTE: you will have to redownload your music (this may be prevented by manually copying the apk)
1. Download the .apk file and get it onto your phone (you don't need the AVRCP zip file at all - it's for reference only)
2. Uninstall your current version of Spotify
3. Install the custom .apk (you may need to turn on the ability to install from unknown sources first... It's in Settings > Security for me... Make sure to turn it off afterward)
4. Launch the app and log back into your Spotify account and enjoy.

You won't receive update reminders from the Play store, but will need to check manually (if you do see one, let me know so I can patch it. )

Original Post:
Hi guys,
I've been trying to modify the Spotify app so that the title, album and artist information shows up over bluetooth with AVRCP. I found a really helpful site with a patch/diff file showing the smali changes that need to be made. I've had a crack, but I think the current version of Spotify is different to the one the patch was made for.

the patch is set to make changes to one smali file (ad.smali) (smali/com/spotify/mobile/android/service/ad.smali)

however the important parts of that file are now in x.smali (smali/com/spotify/mobile/android/service/x.smali)

Any guidance/help would be appreciated. It frustrates me how my car stereo doesn't show up any useful information (even though it does with the stock music app)

I've attached the original smali, my attempt as well as the patch file.

Sources:
https://github.com/loganakamatsu/SpotifyAVRCP
Attached Files
File Type: zip SpotifyAVRCP.zip - [Click for QR Code] (5.3 KB, 3390 views)
File Type: apk Spotify_V0_5_4_73_metadata.apk - [Click for QR Code] (3.17 MB, 9301 views)
The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to res_au For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift res_au Ad-Free
4th January 2013, 07:55 AM |#2  
OP Member
Flag Melbourne

More
I've successfully made the old version, works perfectly with my Subaru Bluetooth. I'll keep trying to get the new version working....
The Following User Says Thank You to res_au For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift res_au Ad-Free
4th January 2013, 11:15 PM |#3  
Flag Wilmington, DE
Thanks Meter: 22

Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by res_au

Spotify App with Bluetooth metadata (i.e. album , title , artist ) modification.
Attached is current version 4/1/12 - works perfectly with my Subaru Bluetooth, let me know how you go.

Original Post:
Hi guys,
I've been trying to modify the Spotify app so that the title, album and artist information shows up over bluetooth with AVRCP. I found a really helpful site with a patch/diff file showing the smali changes that need to be made. I've had a crack, but I think the current version of Spotify is different to the one the patch was made for.

the patch is set to make changes to one smali file (ad.smali) (smali/com/spotify/mobile/android/service/ad.smali)

however the important parts of that file are now in x.smali (smali/com/spotify/mobile/android/service/x.smali)

Any guidance/help would be appreciated. It frustrates me how my car stereo doesn't show up any useful information (even though it does with the stock music app)

I've attached the original smali, my attempt as well as the patch file.

Sources:
https://github.com/loganakamatsu/SpotifyAVRCP

Is this the latest 0.5.4.73 build? Does this work on any phone, or in my case the Galaxy S III? Should this thread be moved to general Android dev and not specifically for the Note II?
4th January 2013, 11:30 PM |#4  
OP Member
Flag Melbourne

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzicman82

Is this the latest 0.5.4.73 build? Does this work on any phone, or in my case the Galaxy S III? Should this thread be moved to general Android dev and not specifically for the Note II?

Yes it is version 0.5.4.73
Yes it should work on any phone (not just the note II)
Yes it should be moved to general android dev (now to work out how to do that )
edit: I think a mod needs to move it.... (thanks in advance)

Thanks muzicman
6th January 2013, 04:46 AM |#5  
Flag TX
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by res_au

Attached is current version @ 4/1/12 (v0.5.4.73) - works perfectly with my Subaru Bluetooth, let me know how you go.

THANK YOU!!! Works beautifully on my HTC Sensation 4G with CM10. I had come across the mod you used as your source a few weeks ago and was sorely disappointed when it didn't work. Not any more!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FayezZ For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift FayezZ Ad-Free
6th January 2013, 06:28 AM |#6  
OP Member
Flag Melbourne

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by FayezZ

THANK YOU!!! Works beautifully on my HTC Sensation 4G with CM10. I had come across the mod you used as your source a few weeks ago and was sorely disappointed when it didn't work. Not any more!

Glad to hear

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2
6th January 2013, 04:35 PM |#7  
Thanks Meter: 28

More
THANK YOU!!!

2 things worth mentioning - it broke facebook authentication for me, but I fixed that by going into my spotify account on their website and generating a device password and using my device username/password.

https://www.spotify.com/us/account/set-device-password/

Secondly, the track progress isn't working on my 2012 VW RNS-315 but the display and controls still work.

Sad how everybody has been asking for this for over a year and Spotify just makes excuses and basically tells everybody it's too hard.
The Following User Says Thank You to Trumps For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Trumps Ad-Free
7th January 2013, 10:17 AM |#8  
Thanks Meter: 93

More
Thanks! Very nice to see this.

I so hope spotify see fit to incorporate this into the official client.

Just one thought -- I also tried the method at http://www.julian-young.com/2011/04/...l-sd-location/ to move offline storage to sdcard, but the removal of the app to install this one clearly undoes that.

Is there any easy hack to this one to move storage to sd? (again a feature spotify need to put back)?

I realise an alternative is to root and fix up at the filesystem level using links/directory bind, but currently I'm using 2 apps (sky go, pingit) which have some issues with rooted phones (though I may give up on them anyway)

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

On other obsetvation - I noticed the time counter didn't move during playback?
7th January 2013, 02:05 PM |#9  
OP Member
Flag Melbourne

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by planetf1

Is there any easy hack to this one to move storage to sd? (again a feature spotify need to put back)?

On other obsetvation - I noticed the time counter didn't move during playback?

It's strange they removed SD card storage. I use directory binder for that. You could hard code it. I'll look into it.

In terms of track time. It should be possible. I'll have a look into it. I'm pretty new to mucking around with smali though
The Following User Says Thank You to res_au For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift res_au Ad-Free
8th January 2013, 08:30 AM |#10  
Thanks Meter: 3

More
Thanx for the app working perfectly with sony dsx 310bt

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to tamerjammer For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift tamerjammer Ad-Free
9th January 2013, 03:36 PM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Lightbulb
Thanks mate - very useful. Just installed it and will test it on my way back home. Could you please add an information in the first post, that all offline music will be deleted when uninstalling the original app? Hoped that a redownload of all tracks wouldn't be needed but unfortunately it does.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)