FORUMS

Want to learn to program android apps and games.

24 posts
Thanks Meter: 1
 
By CinderCloud, Junior Member on 4th January 2013, 07:27 PM
Post Reply Email Thread
Hi everyone, I have been using the Android OS for a few years now, and I love it. I have just decided today that I am no longer going to just watch from the sidelines as apps get released. I want to get my greasy little mitts in on the action.
I would really appreciate some advice on what I should start with. I would like to learn Java, and or Python. I just need to know what direction I should go in. I really want to create games. Any advice would be amazing

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to CinderCloud For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift CinderCloud Ad-Free
4th January 2013, 07:57 PM |#2  
Madaditya's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Pune
Thanks Meter: 1,100
 
Donate to Me
More
Arrow Here
For app Development Learn to make android apps

For Game we have one here
[GUIDE] Android Game Development Tutorial! (Beginners welcome)


May find More...

You shouldn't have started a new thread,search!

XDA Rules

Hit Thanx if you see help coming your way
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Madaditya For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift Madaditya Ad-Free
4th January 2013, 08:00 PM |#3  
CinderCloud's Avatar
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
I just browsed, when I should have been searching lol... I will use those links. Thank you soo much
15th January 2013, 12:12 PM |#4  
deathblade's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 404
 
More
Go here codeacademy.com you can learn Java and Python

Sent from my SGH-I997 using xda premium
8th February 2014, 03:53 AM |#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderCloud

Hi everyone, I have been using the Android OS for a few years now, and I love it. I have just decided today that I am no longer going to just watch from the sidelines as apps get released. I want to get my greasy little mitts in on the action.
I would really appreciate some advice on what I should start with. I would like to learn Java, and or Python. I just need to know what direction I should go in. I really want to create games. Any advice would be amazing

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using xda app-developers app

I really would advise learning java. A really good tutorial sight is thenewboston.com. It has a multitude of programming tutorials as well as android tutorials. After going through these tutorials, I would recommend using the andengine library for games as it makes collisions, physics, and animations much easier to deal with. Good Luck!
11th February 2014, 12:07 AM |#6  
lanwarrior's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 158
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathblade

Go here codeacademy.com you can learn Java and Python

Sent from my SGH-I997 using xda premium

codeacademy.com does NOT teach Java, only JavaScript. I searched for the Java course and there is none to be found.
14th March 2014, 03:04 PM |#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
More
try deitel and deitel
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwarrior

codeacademy.com does NOT teach Java, only JavaScript. I searched for the Java course and there is none to be found.

try the deitel and deitel ebook for android programing it is a bit difficult if your a beginner but it sums up everything you need to know i find it great
you can even try the lynda series for android they are a straight forward approach and easy
The Following User Says Thank You to ghattas.akkad For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift ghattas.akkad Ad-Free
28th April 2014, 11:16 PM |#8  
Senior Member
Flag San Jose
Thanks Meter: 74
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinderCloud

Hi everyone, I have been using the Android OS for a few years now, and I love it. I have just decided today that I am no longer going to just watch from the sidelines as apps get released. I want to get my greasy little mitts in on the action.
I would really appreciate some advice on what I should start with. I would like to learn Java, and or Python. I just need to know what direction I should go in. I really want to create games. Any advice would be amazing

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using xda app-developers app

I love android coding, and maybe I can teach u something.
30th April 2014, 02:47 PM |#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
I can't post links yet (this is actually my first post in the forums!), but I found the Android Bootcamp 2012 video series from NewCircle priceless. It's available for free on YouTube and it is based on the development of an entire app from scratch. It is slightly outdated, but very well made.

I also followed the Coursera's course on Android by prof Adam Porter: it's free as well and it just ended, so it's really up to date. It is based on a different approach though, covering different topics and providing several little projects, instead of a single one.

Imho though you do need some knowledge of Java. I came from a C++ background, so i was able to follow those courses while also learning bits of Java too, but starting with zero knowledge of both the Android api and Java could really be overwhelming, just warning you.

While following the Coursera's course, I saw people recommending a free course about Java taught by John Purcell on the Udemy platform (I might be wrong on the guy's first name).


Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Free mobile app
6th May 2014, 10:20 AM |#10  
Junior Member
Flag South River, NJ
Thanks Meter: 6
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by frabena

I can't post links yet (this is actually my first post in the forums!), but I found the Android Bootcamp 2012 video series from NewCircle priceless. It's available for free on YouTube and it is based on the development of an entire app from scratch. It is slightly outdated, but very well made.

I also followed the Coursera's course on Android by prof Adam Porter: it's free as well and it just ended, so it's really up to date. It is based on a different approach though, covering different topics and providing several little projects, instead of a single one.

Imho though you do need some knowledge of Java. I came from a C++ background, so i was able to follow those courses while also learning bits of Java too, but starting with zero knowledge of both the Android api and Java could really be overwhelming, just warning you.

While following the Coursera's course, I saw people recommending a free course about Java taught by John Purcell on the Udemy platform (I might be wrong on the guy's first name).


Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Free mobile app

After taking that Coursera clas by Prof. Porter I was able to put an app in the app store. Aww yea.
6th May 2014, 10:58 AM |#11  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
More
Yea me too, it was a really cool course. Are you planning on following the next course? It seems like a tough one!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA Free mobile app
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Message:
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes